Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie - considering first Porsche

Old 01-15-2018, 10:55 PM
Bgcox
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - considering first Porsche

i am heavily considering buying a used Boxster to use as my daily driver. A little concerned about all the unknowns. Looking forward to reading the forums and learning what years to try for and how to work on these cars if some of the commons issues happen to me. All thoughts / feedback appreciated
Old 01-16-2018, 06:29 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

09 and up
Old 01-16-2018, 07:52 AM
bloomjbmw
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Great cars

Originally Posted by Bgcox
i am heavily considering buying a used Boxster to use as my daily driver. A little concerned about all the unknowns. Looking forward to reading the forums and learning what years to try for and how to work on these cars if some of the commons issues happen to me. All thoughts / feedback appreciated
I currently have a 911 S and an older Boxster S that I recently bought. The 2000,986 BS is a hoot. I bought on a whim from a local guy who listed on Craigslist. It runs great but needed a little TLC. I’ve enjoyed tinkering with it...but I really enjoy driving it. Sure the 911 is much faster, perhaps better looking too, but the BS is so fun and since it’s not a cherry I don’t mind driving it to Walmart. When I don’t have to take my son with me (16mo old), I daily the Boxster. The mid engine cars are really easy to maneuver and if you get an older one or a non-s newer one you can rev up without going to jail (as easily). If your budget is $10k ish, a well maintained early 986 is doable. If you have $20-30 I would consider a Boxster or a Cayman. The 987 cars are more refined and nicer inside but I wouldn’t ignore a good 986 if driving fun is your #1.

I will probably sell my BS soon since I don’t want to have so many cars but I do enjoy it.

Enjoy the hunt!
Old 01-16-2018, 10:07 AM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

cannot beat a boxster. I drive one every day (2004) change the oil more frequently than factory recommended, and have had no problem with it what so ever. They are a great value, do everything right, (handle great, plenty of power, can see 360 degrees around you) have light steering light shifting and light brakes, ice cold air hot head great sounding radio, good gas mileage, and one push button operation to take the top down! Why pay more for a cayman and do away with the soft top?
Old 01-16-2018, 04:53 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Owned 2. Daily driver in mid-atlantic area. Wonderful cars. But they are aging and stuff can happen and parts are expensive. True of almost any car of that era.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:57 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed. Considering one too. There are early S versions for $12k and even less with high mileage. But maybe one with 100k miles had been proven that the IMS bearing is doing OK?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:25 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Any wear part can go at any mileage. At the same time that kind of mileage does mean that block abnormalities are improbable so should you replace the IMS it would at least be going into a good block.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:36 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'd say also look at the RS60. Yes it is an 08, but heck of a fun car to drive, and the major issues like IMS were sorted out before then. That said, an 09 S might be less expensive.

I had an RS60 for 3 years, bought it with 23K miles on it, literally never had a single thing go wrong with it. Most reliable car I've probably ever had.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:30 PM
Vampster 986
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I have had a 2004 986 Boxster for two years now, my first Porsche and my daily driver and other than the yearly service I have not even had to touch it other than choice, such adding like retrofitting cruise control and a more modern stereo ect, but nothing has failed on me. As a daily I would recommend buying one with the spec you want from start though, these cars are usually not easy to retrofit option on, for example I made sure when I bought mine It had to have Bose audio, Climatronic air con, heated seats and litronic headlights. fairly standard options but difficult or impossible to retrofit like the cruise control was. the other consideration is 2.7 vs 3.2 size engines, obviously you get an extra bit of power with the 3.2 but get about 35mpg best case where the 2.7 is more like 40mpg not to much but as a daily may be something to consider. My father owned a 2.5 briefly but stated by comparison to the 2.7 and 3.2 it felt lacklustre especially when it comes to torque so would avoid that engine. other things are the last few years 2002 onwards 986's had a few other upgrade which you will probably want if its your daily such as a glass heated rear window instead of the plastic one, an updated look and a more sophisticated instrument cluster and drive by wire, and stability control as standard.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:46 AM
Bill in VA
AutoX

Buy one. You won't regret it. It is a daily driver...except for snow. They are blast to drive. I have a 1999 with a 5 sp. that I purchased new. Over 100K now. I have never had anything major go wrong with it. Part of why I decided on Porsche in first place. Things like the water pump and alternator went in the last couple of years and a year ago I had the clutch and related necessities including the IMS replaced. The car owes me nothing. While it is a great car, if I were starting out now I would go 2009 or later as others have suggested.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:37 AM
Geof3
Advanced

I don't 100% agree that the default should be -09 and up. Obviously, budget is everything. There is also an old saying when it comes to Porsche's and that is buy the latest model you can afford. The other old saying there is no such thing as a "cheap" Porsche. Having said that, these days the known issues are just that, known. Most earlier cars will have had the IMS addressed if deemed necessary, and for those that have gone there have probably address some of the other potential issues. These cars are still one of the best bang for the buck purchases IMO. But you need to be educated, and search for a car that has a good service history and then get a solid PPI. Keep in mind, the early cars are getting close to 20yrs old (some already are) and like ANY older car there will be things that need to be fixed, worked on etc. They can be expensive if you don't have some wrenching skills, but not really too out of whack for most cars, relative to parts/labor. There is extensive parts availability both aftermarket and Porsche factory. They are seriously fun cars, not terribly hard to work on and worth a little TLC.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:43 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

You have had multiple replies to consider.

Post your location, budget and expected type of use. You'll get people falling all over themselves to give you suggestions appropriate to that info. Without it we are just guessing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie - considering first Porsche