Sponsored by:

Locking issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 02:20 AM
Jacob Hallenbeck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking issues.

So i got a Boxster awhile and it has a few issues that i believe are all related hoping you guys here can help me out some. so the two main problems are that my FOB only intermittently works for the frunk and nothing else (worked once to unlock immediately after trying to reset the remote in lock), the passenger side window (the drivers always works) intermittently fails to roll down when the door is opened, that can be remedied by locking and unlocking the doors from inside a few times till it sits in the correct position. the third problem and one that happens the least is sometimes while im driving the door unlocking noise will just happen (the horn beeping twice) and i assume it locks or unlocks the doors although Ive never really noticed as i was driving.
Now i believe that my issue lies with the actual door/locking computer. i cant imagine that all of these issues would exist without it being that. (catch is i dont know when they all started i knew the fobs didnt work when i bought it but the rest wasnt happening at time of purchase.)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:27 AM
bloomjbmw
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Same issue, resolved

I had the exact same issue. Bought a 2000 BS back in the fall. When I bought it I immediately replaced the fob batter and yet it didn’t work properly. I could pop the trunk sometimes but never succeeded in using the lock / unlock button.

I tried all combinations of training the key by manually unlocking the car, putting it in the ignition, etc.

one day I decided to try another battery because I had an issue with something else that used the same battery type and I had used one from the same pack.

I installed a brand new Duracell and I also took a small piece of paper and folded it to take up some room in the fob behind the circuit board (I felt like the pressure I applied to the buttons may be indicative of a bad solder joint (even though visual inspection showed no issue). Anyway, after that the key works perfectly.

Unfortunately my car only came with 1 key so I couldn’t compare the operation of 2 keys.

Good luck!
Old 02-15-2018, 03:19 PM
ECU Doctors
Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacob Hallenbeck
Jacob Hallenbeck
You may have more than 1 thing happening in your Boxster.

You fob's internal circuit board could be failing and that's why it's intermittent. This can be repaired easily.

Also, the internal door handle spring that returns the handle to it's home position could be stretched or damaged. Again, easy to fix.

Otherwise, the Immobilizer / Alarm / Central Locking unit in your Porsche may be compromised.

This is VERY COMMON due to water damage getting into the control unit through rain.

Check under and behind the driver's seat for dampness or moisture.

You can also remove the driver's seat and open the Immo Control Unit to inspect for signs of water damage like this:

If that's your issue then you need this module fixed or replaced.

Let me know what you find.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:45 PM
Jacob Hallenbeck
Advanced

So i have determined that the drivers door is the axle being damaged or spring, and separate from the rest. as far as the other problems, i have two fobs, and neither works so unless both fob boards are bad then i dont believe that is the case (maybe a coincidence though) is the central locking computer under the driver seat with the immobilizer? my car was hit and the issue worsened so the problem is now going to be handled by insurance but id love to be able to tell them its the computer and not the door as i dont want to be without a car for to long while it is fixed.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:47 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

If you were the car that was hit and not at fault shouldn't the other guy's insurance be providing you a rental. Yea, not a P-car to be sure but at least transport.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:18 PM
Jacob Hallenbeck
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikefocke
If you were the car that was hit and not at fault shouldn't the other guy's insurance be providing you a rental. Yea, not a P-car to be sure but at least transport.
im not but i already had a rental for the body work portion and hated the rental id rather keep from having to get another one.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:57 AM
ECU Doctors
Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacob Hallenbeck
is the central locking computer under the driver seat with the immobilizer?
Yes the Immobilizer in both Boxster and 911 996 is located under the driver's seat on the floor.

Quick Reply: Locking issues.