CEL - 5 Codes - Plus 3 other issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 04:24 PM
RacingYellowBox
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL - 5 Codes - Plus 3 other issues

Hello RennList Team,

I wanted to enlist your help for a couple issues I am having. I started tracking my 1999 Boxster Recently. I have been taking it to Harris Hill Road in Texas. A 1.8 mile coaurse, and i will typically do anywhere between 5-15 laps on any session.

2.5L
5 Speed manual
Yellow, I know not important
Let me know if you need anymore details

I have had CEL lights go on and off in the past, but last track session i had the CEL pop up, and went to Autozone to have the OBD2 codes read.

The following is what came out. I know the combo of the CEL codes is more important than the individual code

P0134 Oxygen Sensor Ahead of Catalytic Converter (Cylinders 1 - 3) - Interruption of Signal (Bank 1 Sensor1)
P0102 Mass Air Flow Sensor - Below Lower Limit
P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor 1 - Signal Implausible, Short to Ground, Short to B+
P1397 Camshaft Position Sensor 2 - Signal Implausible, Short to Ground, Short to B+
P1117 Oxygen Sensor Heating 1 After Catalytic Converter - Below Lower Limit

SECOND ISSUE
My Top will not Open - I took my car to a shop to have the Rear window re-paired. When I go the car home I tried to put down the top and I have a Red Light always activated, that will not allow the top to go Down, it just makes one tick when i press the open top button. I am thinking this is some kind of electrical issue. Unless something slipped off track. Happy to investigate anything. When i checked the fuses I didn't see anything broken, but this might we worth another look

THIRD ISSUE
The headlights stopped working. when I turn the headlight ****, the lights don't come on outside. The interior dashboard light do. When I push and hold and depress the high-beams, they do not come on. When I pull the high beams and keep them pulled back manually, they stay on. The high-beam Flash feature is the only one working. Bulbs appear t be working, so another electrical or fuse?

FOURTH ISSUE
Cruise Control Stopped working. When depress the cruise control button, the green cruise control light comes on. However, when i go to set a speed, it wont grab any speed and maintain.

Thank again Guys!
Old 01-13-2018, 06:42 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fourth issue is probably the clutch switch. Its a plunger type switch usually with a red plastic housing. First thing to try is to pull the plunger out against a ratchet resistance. Then give it a shot. If that doesn't work replace the switch. It's very cheap, so its worth a try. Also check whether the clutch assis spring is broken. If the clutch has play in it at the top of the travel you probably have a broken spring.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:21 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Tracking is hard on the MAF and the O2 sensors (among other things).

My advice would be to replace all 4 O2 sensors, clear the codes, then road test the car and see what errors, if any come back.

(Handle the new sensors with care. Do not touch the tips. Do not use anti-seize. Do not use any cleaner on the wiring harness or sensor electrical connectors.)

If you replace the MAF try to get one with the same part # as the one that is on the car now. Otherwise, when you go to buy a new MAF for your car you will probably get the updated MAF. The part # for this updated MAF comes up instead of the part # for the MAF the car left the factory with. This newer MAF will *not* work with the earlier model cars unless the DME firmware is upgraded. I do not know what this costs.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:01 PM
brianmch
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Anker
Fourth issue is probably the clutch switch. Its a plunger type switch usually with a red plastic housing. First thing to try is to pull the plunger out against a ratchet resistance. Then give it a shot. If that doesn't work replace the switch. It's very cheap, so its worth a try. Also check whether the clutch assis spring is broken. If the clutch has play in it at the top of the travel you probably have a broken spring.
The brake switch can be dissambled/reassembled by separating it and rotating the halves 180 degrees. Useful as a test when awaiting a part. Maybe the clutch switch is similar?
Old 01-15-2018, 07:04 PM
brianmch
Advanced

Also, how long have you had this? With those electrical gremlins could it be flood/moisture related?

In Re the top: its hard to tell. I had a square clip come off one of the arms, which subsequently came off the mounting pin, which got hammered around when the top was folding. Bent the crap out of it and required some surgery.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:25 PM
RacingYellowBox
5th Gear

I have had the car for quite some time. 5-6 years I would say. Yeah, I am having a hard time trying to isolate the top issue. It doesnt budge at this time when i try to activate the switch and uncouple the latch on the front windshield. @brianmch

There ave been times in the past when the CEL came on. and in the Past I replaced the MAF. The CEL was off until the other day when it popped up, So from the sounds of it, I need to replace all 4 O2 sensors. @Macster

I also have the Cruise control Clutch Relay switch on order, and should be here in the next couple of days, I will update as to how that solves this problem. I am trying to test it with a 9V and a multimeter, but am unsure of how the old clutch relay is supposed to work. @brianmch

Thank you for the help thus far guys.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:53 PM
RacingYellowBox
5th Gear

Hello All

Thank you so much for the help. I was able to get a new clutch relay switch, and installed it, and this fixed the cruise control issue.

Next step will be the headlights
The headlights stopped working. when I turn the headlight ****, the lights don't come on outside. The interior dashboard light do. When I push and hold and depress the high-beams, they do not come on. When I pull the high beams and keep them pulled back manually, they stay on. The high-beam Flash feature is the only one working. Bulbs appear t be working, so another electrical or fuse?
Found this article

Suggests the headlight switch from Pelican Parts. Porsche Part and OEM Part

Pelican Parts Article on how to replace. But how would I test the old Switch with a multimeter or some other way?

Next Step for O2 Sensors - Buy 4 replacement O2 sensors and install.

Convertible TOP - does anyone have a good articles on how to troubleshoot the top?
Old 01-22-2018, 04:13 PM
brianmch
Advanced

Good news about the clutch switch. I am getting the idea mine needs replacing as I must depress clutch all the way to the floor to start.
Seems to be the life of an older P-car owner....fix, drive, rinse, repeat.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:48 AM
RacingYellowBox
5th Gear

Alright,

So i removed the Ac vent cover on the drivers side, and got down to the headlight switch. Pulled it out after some intensive work, and cleaned it with electrical cleaner. Cleaned it again and again and again. Used a toothbrush, a wire brush and sandpaper to get all the minor corrosion off. Cleaned all connections, then plugged it back in, and it worked. Worked for about 3 on and offs and stopped working. The only way to get the normal headlights to work now is to pull the headlight **** out, and place something behind it, so it stays popped out.

It now no longer stays popped out, unless something is wedged between, and the headlights dont wrk in on, unless there is something to wedge the **** out.

I think i will have to pony up the money for the headlight replacement switch

After all that work, i head something rattling around inside the headlight switch
Old 01-23-2018, 06:20 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

An old troubleshooting tip. Last thing touched is always suspect. So the top was repaired. Which probably means it was removed and then repositioned. Why not take it back and ask them WTF.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:01 AM
RacingYellowBox
5th Gear

Headlight switch has been replaced now, and the headlights lights now work!

Another item checked off the list.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:11 PM
mevori
6th Gear

A newbie question:
Does any code reader works for Boxster 2001? I have the same light (CEL) on and they ask $150 (!) just for scanning.
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area

Any advice or recommended places to go check and fix the issues?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2018, 09:58 AM
brianmch
Advanced

Angry

Originally Posted by mikefocke
An old troubleshooting tip. Last thing touched is always suspect. So the top was repaired. Which probably means it was removed and then repositioned. Why not take it back and ask them WTF.
Like after you handed the guy a check and are getting ready to drive off and the seller happens to mention in the most offhand way that they recently had both front wheel skirts replaced. ???WWWaaaahhhuuuu???

Here's your keys Mister seller man. Gimme my check back or ima cancel it right now.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:05 AM
brianmch
Advanced

I'm working my way through a series of things on a fairly sorted Box to make it a better Box.

Just got new Conti DWS06's all around and a full alignment. Way better now and the Missus is grinning as its her daily.

Rotors/pads/sensors all around this coming weekend.

Next up is probably the right-side valve cover gasket as it's leaky.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mevori
A newbie question:
Does any code reader works for Boxster 2001? I have the same light (CEL) on and they ask $150 (!) just for scanning.
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area

Any advice or recommended places to go check and fix the issues?

Thanks!
The 2001 Boxster is probably an ISO 9141-2 OBD2 protocol. Any OBD2 code reader/scan tool should be able to connect with the Boxster's OBD2 port in order to read active codes. You want one that can read pending codes and permanent codes, too. Any OBD2 code reader/scan tool above the most basic tool should suffice. However, besides reading the codes, clearing codes, being able to monitor various engine telemetry in real time is a plus and logging this is even a bigger plus so shop for a scan tool that lets you view engine telemetry and log it too. Some scan tools can initiate O2 sensor tests the car's DME support. Heck my ancient Actron can do this.

I prefer the stand alone scan tools/code readers but there are some that work with a smart phone via an adapter that plugs into the car's OBD2 connnector and then an app runs on the phone and receives via Bluetooth what the adapter obtains from the car's OBD2 port and then displays this on the phone. Since I don't have a smart phone I can't make any recommendation.

Quick Reply: CEL - 5 Codes - Plus 3 other issues