Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take a chance or leave alone

Old 01-01-2018, 12:49 AM
StormBrewing
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Take a chance or leave alone

I have run across a 1998 Boxster with low miles (20K) that has not been driven in years. I've been looking for a project car to turn into a daily driver. There are several things that need to be done to the car before driven again but my biggest concern is possible IMS bearing issues. Should I move on or take a chance with this car? Would you go ahead and replace the bearing sooner rather than later? Appreciate any words of wisdom from owners experienced with this issue.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:43 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Based on my understanding, IMS problems show up in the first 100k miles or not at all. 20k miles? I think I'd replace it (or have it replaced). I think it's at least a $1,500 procedure at an indy (but I'd certainly check on that), so figure that into your offer.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:57 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well you said you were looking for a project........this will fit the bill [pun]
Old 01-01-2018, 09:37 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Any idea of the maintenance history specifically the oil changes? Was the IMS bearing sitting in clean oil or with lots of condensation?

18 year old brake fluid?

Stored indoors?

Tires date of manufacture?

I'd worry about fuel system issues as much as anything. Injectors, tank corrosion, fuel filter.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:45 AM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

The big question is how much to purchase? A car that has been sitting is more prone to problems than one that has been driven regularly, especially a boxster.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:04 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

An IMS bearing can fail at any mileage. Early failure from manufacturing tolerances. Later from wear, oil contamination, seal failure, pulley failure, low oil level, oil filter valve failure, etc.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:11 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

With such low miles, if bought for the right price you can fix it and still have a decent resale value.

I recently picked up a one owner 1998 boxster with hardtop and roof rack. It was well documented since new but had been parked for a few years. (Im a sucker for one owner.)
I gave it a full service and it drives really nice. So nice in fact that i am pleasantly surprised how nice these little cars are to drive and for such little money.

I would go for it based on the miles.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:01 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Based on all the pertinent info you gave us, I'd say buy it, or maybe just run as far and as fast as you can. Sitting unused isn't good for mechanical things. Gas goes bad in practically no time, seals dry out, oil develops acids, tires dry out, brake fluid absorbs moisture and can corrode brake componts Wiring can corrode at connectors, Mice can build nests and pack rats can chew wiring. If it was kept inside for all those years, it'll be dusty but the top, the upholstery, and the paint should be okay.

Depends on the price. There's no such thing as a cheap Porsche. And more details and maybe some pics would be in order.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:28 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
Based on all the pertinent info you gave us, I'd say buy it, or maybe just run as far and as fast as you can. Sitting unused isn't good for mechanical things. Gas goes bad in practically no time, seals dry out, oil develops acids, tires dry out, brake fluid absorbs moisture and can corrode brake componts Wiring can corrode at connectors, Mice can build nests and pack rats can chew wiring. If it was kept inside for all those years, it'll be dusty but the top, the upholstery, and the paint should be okay.

Depends on the price. There's no such thing as a cheap Porsche. And more details and maybe some pics would be in order.

All of which can be fixed if need be, what you can't fix is 10 year old original paint & other cosmetic things. I would jack it up enough to remove the oil filter housing & inspect the filter for debris & oil quality. If all looks good start it up & drive it. If it drives ok, go straight to the shop that will install the new LN imsb.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:59 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,957 Posts

There were some early Boxster engines that had a casting flaw after the casting machines was moved to a bigger location for higher production. To keep up with production these engine castings were "sleeved" to correct the bores, during "sleeving" the radius of the recess for the sleeve hat was not properly curved and would cause the "hat" to break off and the sleeve would slip down and contact the crankshaft. The result was catastrophic failure and usually happened at a low mileage of under 20k. It is thought that ALL these engines have already failed and have been replaced, but when I hear of an early Boxster with miles that low, it makes me wonder IF there are still a few of these out there. Sorry to be a bearer of doom and gloom, and I would probably still take a chance on it, but the price would have to attractive enough, and I love a good mystery.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Take a chance or leave alone