Sponsored by:

TRANSMISSION SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 01:22 PM
carlosnolasco
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRANSMISSION SWAP

Could I use a transmission from a Boxster Base to a boxster S?
Old 12-29-2017, 02:06 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i recall at least one difference was the drive axle flanges were different ....there maybe more
Old 01-09-2018, 05:29 PM
carlosnolasco
8th Gear

I have the transmission now, do I need to put the top down to installed? how could we install the converter on it? The top is not working and we do not know how to put it down. Could somebody post a link to do it?
Thanks
Old 01-09-2018, 11:03 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are out of your flipping mind.

Apparently you haven't read any of the DIY and repair manuals and you want to swap a transmission!!!
Old 01-09-2018, 11:48 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Are you talking the transmission that drives the top/roof? If so there were two versions of the transmission, cable assembly. Make sure you have the right one.

Or the transmission that drives the wheels? I recall there are big differences between the base and the S manual transmissions in the whole rear end...the wheels brakes, half-shafts, and the trans. Or do you have a TIP?

Always post specifics of what car you have so people can get a better answer to you.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:30 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefocke
Are you talking the transmission that drives the top/roof? If so there were two versions of the transmission, cable assembly. Make sure you have the right one.

Or the transmission that drives the wheels? I recall there are big differences between the base and the S manual transmissions in the whole rear end...the wheels brakes, half-shafts, and the trans. Or do you have a TIP?

Always post specifics of what car you have so people can get a better answer to you.
by now could be the wiper transmission
Old 01-10-2018, 10:44 AM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

when we put a boxster s transaxle in a boxster, we had to swap the rear control arms brakes and drive shafts. Hence you would have to do the opposite to install the normal five speed in a six speed s along with the shift cable too!! Not advised!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:00 AM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

From what I can deduce, he wants to put a boxster base tip into a boxster S. Sounds like it's a challenging nightmare to me, probably not the first project a newbie should tackle.

As far as the top, and working on the top of the engine, he wants the top in the closed position, he can access the service position, pull the engine cover and there it is.

I would suggest that Carlos get a little further in the learning curve before tackling this project. And, IMHO, the best strategy is to keep it simple and not try to make unsuitable parts work.

Interesting that Carlos has been a forum member since June 2011 and has only posted 6 times.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:37 AM
carlosnolasco
8th Gear

Thanks everybody for all your answers and sorry for the confusion. Here we`re go, this is as today:
I bought a 04 Boxster S automatic transmission to replace the one that is damaged, so now is not a swap is a replacement. Maybe I asked for help on the wrong post. I have another one: Repair or replacement?
I found one the same as my car, good price and 6 months warranty. The problem that we have is to install it because the torque converter. We were no sure how to do it, we found a DIY one the forum that we can do it removing the starter but to access the starter we need to move the top to access the engine but the top(roof) is no working. I am not sure if I explained myself, but any question to clarify, let me know. I am working with somebody on it, but he is a general mechanic and never worked on Porsche before.
Thanks again
Old 01-10-2018, 11:55 AM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

You have to disconnect the torque converter from the flex plate. To do that, you need to remove the starter, and to do that, you need to remove the center part of the plenum. It's extra work, but while you have the trans out, you should remove the flexplate from the back of the engine and replace the rear main seal and inspect (or replace) the IMS. When I pulled my old engine, the IMS was leaking oil. And, while you have the trans out, it's a good time to renew the boots on the axle joints. And replace the motor mount, too. (Mine was shredded.)

I'm soon putting the trans. onto my replacement motor. I've ordered M12 1.5 threaded rod from a guy on Ebay--300mm worth to make guide pins to help line up the trans (heavy) with the rear of the engine.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:19 PM
carlosnolasco
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
You have to disconnect the torque converter from the flex plate. To do that, you need to remove the starter, and to do that, you need to remove the center part of the plenum. It's extra work, but while you have the trans out, you should remove the flexplate from the back of the engine and replace the rear main seal and inspect (or replace) the IMS. When I pulled my old engine, the IMS was leaking oil. And, while you have the trans out, it's a good time to renew the boots on the axle joints. And replace the motor mount, too. (Mine was shredded.)

I'm soon putting the trans. onto my replacement motor. I've ordered M12 1.5 threaded rod from a guy on Ebay--300mm worth to make guide pins to help line up the trans (heavy) with the rear of the engine.
Thanks Brian for the reply
I am working with this car for few years and had a lot of issues. The car was a Mussante Motors Sports in Connecticut for almost a year where they installed an Engine and Transmission. They did the IMS, MAF and other service to the car, but I had to take the car from them because they were taking too long to finish it, It is a long story and a little complicated. Anyway I took the car and tried with a friend of mine to finish it, but we are just have general knowledge of mechanic and of course not on Porsche. That is why we are using the forum a lot. I spent and spending a lot of money on this and not sure if is going to work it out. I have a problem with the electrical part, specially the top that is not working and the brakes, so I am going to need a lot of help from the forum or a recommendation for an independent Porsche Mechanic around South Carolina.
I am not sure how many post I did but I think that is more than 6 times but different topics. Now we removed the starter and did what you said, so I will keep you posted how things going.
Thanks again
Old 01-10-2018, 05:44 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Try something like this to find P-car mechanics, then poke around each shop and see how many cars and what sort of work they are doing on them and ask owners of the cars their satisfaction
https://www.pcarshops.com/search?q=Charleston%20SC
Old 01-10-2018, 08:03 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

I agree with Mike. Assuming you're in the Charleston area, there appear to be lots of choices. I think you may be in over your head, and the general mechanic might not have the time to research the car. Pretty much everything you need in the way of knowledge is available online, including Rennlist, the excellent how to articles on Pelican.com and their associated forums, Pedros, Youtube, etc. At the moment, the top is probably the least important thing on your agenda. First things first, get the car driveable, then start tackling the cosmetic things.

The top, btw, can be pretty easily converted to manual up & down by disconnecting the linkages..

Quick Reply: TRANSMISSION SWAP