Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the 986 S be occasionally used on track?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 05:03 AM
Opposer
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Can the 986 S be occasionally used on track?

In Russia people drive boxsters 3 month a year so car will have much lower mileage than cayman 987.1. 986 S can be bought for a 10 grand here, and 987.1 costs 20k at least.
Heard some stuff that 986 S is almost a carrera and shares many parts with it, and 987.1 is VAG-cost-reduction product with simplified oil system and weak brakes.

Planning to attend local racetrack 1-2 times a month. Read that on a racetrack 987.1 suffers from oil shortage and overheating, bore scoring also.
Is 986 S, being almost a Carrera, OK with these aspects on a track? Does it need some essential mods to prevent damage to a car or just a racing brake fluid and wheels?

Should I buy a 986S or a 987.1 2.7? If I choose 986 i'll save a lot of money and can use it to maintain the car better and buy a decent everyday car to use during winter.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:25 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

986S can of course be driven on track occasionally. 1-2 times per month though is pretty regular track use. The M96 engine can have oil starvation issues as can the M97 in the 987.1. On street tires though should be ok. The 987.2 has a much improved engine with more oil pumps and pickups and is very reliable with track use. I hesitate to say it but - search IMSB for the M96 and you may be scared off. It may be overblown but the failures do happen. There are upgrades possible. I have tracked a 986S (upgraded IMSB) on Hankook RS3 and Bridgestone RE-11 with no oiling issues. Have to say it has not been very reliable. I've had oil leaks, power steering overheating, cat failure, electrical issues. Stock suspension is very soft. In my experience the 987s are better built than 986s. I've also tracked a 987.2 and had very few problems with it. Higher purchase cost of course.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:12 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

eh, maybe.

I'd do some basic upgrades that, while a bit spendy, will increase your chances of success:

1. GT3 brake ducts, track pads, motul 600 brake fluid
2. Mobil 5w-50 or better oil, deep sump and upgraded baffles
3. some way of holding yourself in the seat better. CG lock is an idea, but really, fixed back track seats are a HUGE upgrade.

If you are truly a beginner, you should be fine with minimal mods, but if you are skilled, you'll find the car's shortcomings quickly.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:44 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

My sarcastic response would be, yes, you can drive it occasionally on the track. But it's best when driven frequently on a track. Cheers,
Old 12-14-2017, 04:16 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Track it every chance I can get!
Old 12-15-2017, 02:10 PM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Track it every chance I can get!
Not only a great shot of your car but a great shot of COTA as well!
Old 12-15-2017, 03:18 PM
strudds
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Boxster 3.2 s its meant to be driven hard
oil starvation only happens when you potter around the engine should be revved high to enable good oil circulation.
That,s why most get IMS bearing problems due to pottering about.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by strudds
The Boxster 3.2 s its meant to be driven hard
oil starvation only happens when you potter around the engine should be revved high to enable good oil circulation.
That,s why most get IMS bearing problems due to pottering about.
Uh no.

Oil starvation happens at higher RPMs -- when there is a lot of oil suspended in the crankcase and under the camshaft covers -- which lowers the oil level in the sump. Couple this then with high cornering/braking forces that result in pulling oil away from the oil pump pick up. It doesn't help that prior to this occurring the engine bearings have probably been subjected to less than adequate oiling due to oil with some air in it and may have developed excessive clearance which requires more oil to this bearing. Aerated oil which normally would stay on top of the oil with no aeration and not reach the oil pump pick up does reach the oil pump pick up. Aerated oil does not develop the hydrodynamic oil film which normally supports the crank bearing journal and keeps it from coming in contact the bearing.

This happens because for much the same reasons as oil starvation. The other contributing factor can be the oil is contaminated, or the wrong type of oil, and as a consequence manifests a much higher level of aeration.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:44 AM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Great track tool. Rewarding if driven well
Old 12-20-2017, 02:12 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Imo, the Boxster (S) ..are the best on track.

True, if you have good tires, ..then be careful with oil starvation.
Some great "not too expensive" mods that are a first aid for oil starvation problem is changing the oem oil baffle that is in the oil pan. And while doing that, is adding a "pan extension" to have a bit more oil down there makes the view on the red oil pressure lamp less scary !
But, frankly, if you have daily "mid quality" tire, and you are not driving to get the best lap time of you track, the risk of starving oil is imo quite low.
In my side, I did not worried about that, till I had "R" compound tires.

As written above, if more than occasional track days, then I would say "under drive pulley" is a must if you want long life to you steering wheel pump (I blew mine before opting for this one !)

..then the list goes on, ..together with the GREAT fun.
(Boxster are fabulous cars.)
Old 12-20-2017, 01:32 PM
brianmch
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What type of track-driving are you talking about? Enduro's? Sprints with 20 minute sessions? Driving events?

My stock 01 Box 5spd didn't suffer from a PCA driving event. I got some funny streaky build up on my front wheels that I can't quite identify or remove yet, but no problems.

I was slower than everyone else (inexperienced and underpowered) but I had a LOT of fun.

Quick Reply: Can the 986 S be occasionally used on track?