Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 986 S oil sending unit purpose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 04:46 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 986 S oil sending unit purpose?

OK so yes I know it gives an oil temp reading when read by the Durametric software, but. Mine is reading -46c so assuming its bad. No easy fix for sure. The whole time I have had the car since new the coolant temp and oil temps have been very close. That said I am not getting a check engine light or even a fault code. Car runs fine. So what I am hopeful some one will know is why we have an oil temp sending unit anyway. Does the ECU use that data for anything at all. I mean I would hope it would trigger a CEL if it got to hot but unsure. Certainly not a CEL at -46c. I will eventually change it out but it is something I just don't want to have to do right now. Again hope someone knows and if there are some tricks all the better right.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboflyer
OK so yes I know it gives an oil temp reading when read by the Durametric software, but. Mine is reading -46c so assuming its bad. No easy fix for sure. The whole time I have had the car since new the coolant temp and oil temps have been very close. That said I am not getting a check engine light or even a fault code. Car runs fine. So what I am hopeful some one will know is why we have an oil temp sending unit anyway. Does the ECU use that data for anything at all. I mean I would hope it would trigger a CEL if it got to hot but unsure. Certainly not a CEL at -46c. I will eventually change it out but it is something I just don't want to have to do right now. Again hope someone knows and if there are some tricks all the better right.
The oil temperature sensor is in the same tube as the oil level sensor. I believe the oil temperature is used when the oil level voltage is processed to help determine the oil level.

I seem to recall for some OBD2 error codes in some cases the oil temperature being above a certain level is a requirement or the error condition is not checked for.

Quick Reply: 01 986 S oil sending unit purpose?