Sponsored by:

2000 Porsche Boxster Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 11:20 AM
pcsbob
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Porsche Boxster Won't Start

The car will not turn over when I turn the key. Lights, dash, radio, etc work. This occurs for several attempts, then suddenly the car starts as normal. This has happened 4 different times during the last few days. The car has a manual transmission

Once, it started right after i locked and then unlocked the doors with the remote. I repeated this and it did not start.

I just tried my spare key. It did start normally this time.

Suggestions on where to start to diagnose the problem would be appreciated.

Thank you

Bob
Old 10-07-2017, 01:09 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

could be [in no order] battery,starter,connections,clutch switch,ignition switch,anti-theft system and that is just for [pun] starters . ya need a good DVOM and help to back probe when it does not start
Old 10-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by pcsbob
The car will not turn over when I turn the key. Lights, dash, radio, etc work. This occurs for several attempts, then suddenly the car starts as normal. This has happened 4 different times during the last few days. The car has a manual transmission

Once, it started right after i locked and then unlocked the doors with the remote. I repeated this and it did not start.

I just tried my spare key. It did start normally this time.

Suggestions on where to start to diagnose the problem would be appreciated.

Thank you

Bob
You have to consider the clutch safety interlock switch first. These wear out and don't always make good contact. A symptom is everything lights up normally just no reaction when you turn the key to start the engine. No ticking, clicks, nothing.

The clutch interlock switch is rather inexpensive and can be changed if you are limber enough to get down under the dash where the switch is.

My experience is if the clutch interlock switch needs to be changed the brake light switch and the clutch and brake cruise control switches are all probably about as worn.

At my dealer if I buy the switches from the parts counter the SM will have a tech install the switches at no cost to me. Takes the tech just a minute or so to change them.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:46 PM
pcsbob
Track Day

Thank you all for the replies

I replaced the ignition switch a couple of years ago. It was a tight fit to fit into the footwell. I am about 6"4" and not as limber as I once was. I believe I will start with clutch interlock.

Will appreciate any other advice from members!

Thanks

Bob
Old 10-19-2018, 04:59 PM
pcsbob
Track Day

I am still battling the no start problem plus limp mode!

The car started last weekend after 3-4 tries. Ran great for about 30 minutes. Parked car for about 4 hours, dash lights flickered, car would not turn over, then started. Once started, it would not go over abourt 1600 RPM. I now have a P1502 code.

Read where clearing the codes and disconnected the battery for a couple of days might set things right. It did not. Still in limp doe. The P1502 code came back

Any thoughts?
Bob

Quick Reply: 2000 Porsche Boxster Won't Start