Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Mirror Reverse Dip on a 1998?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 01:47 PM
A8KED
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Passenger Mirror Reverse Dip on a 1998?

After owning a 91 964 for many years, I decided to add to my already overloaded garage and dip my toes in the Water Cooled side of Porsche with a 98 Boxster.
I've read the Boxster Owners manual and the Bentley manual and searched on this and other sites. I can find no indication that this car (a 98) came with a reverse mirror dip feature for the passenger side mirror.
But my car does seem to have it...
The issue is that after dipping, the mirror does not always return to its original position. Does anyone have knowledge or instructions on this feature or is this car possessed? I'd prefer to just disable this feature if I cannot get it to cooperate.

ps; The car is an automatic and the mirror dips everytime the shifter passes thru reverse.

Kevin
Old 10-01-2017, 03:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by A8KED
After owning a 91 964 for many years, I decided to add to my already overloaded garage and dip my toes in the Water Cooled side of Porsche with a 98 Boxster.
I've read the Boxster Owners manual and the Bentley manual and searched on this and other sites. I can find no indication that this car (a 98) came with a reverse mirror dip feature for the passenger side mirror.
But my car does seem to have it...
The issue is that after dipping, the mirror does not always return to its original position. Does anyone have knowledge or instructions on this feature or is this car possessed? I'd prefer to just disable this feature if I cannot get it to cooperate.

ps; The car is an automatic and the mirror dips everytime the shifter passes thru reverse.

Kevin
My sources indicate starting in 2001 the car could be had with self-dimming mirrors. There is no mention made of a passenger side outside mirror dipping feature.

My 2003 Turbo has this and has seat memory controls. The passenger side mirror dip is "activated" by I think putting the transmission in reverse while saving the driver seat settings in seat memory but don't quote me. It has been years since I have messed with that feature.

If your car has this feature it should work like the feature in my Turbo. The mirror dips when the transmission is shifted into reverse -- I think the engine has to be running -- and when the transmission is moved from reverse to even neutral the mirror comes back up and assumes is pre-dip position. The hardware seems rather robust as the thing dips every time I reverse the car but I can't remember the last time I have had to adjust the mirror. 'course, the mirror settings I think are part of seat memory, too.

If your car has this feature and it doesn't work my only WAG is there is a problem with the shifter/transmisison switch. The switch works at some level as the mirror dips but when you shift out of reverse this action doesn't get communicated to the mirror control and the mirror doesn't return to its normal position.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:21 PM
A8KED
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default An update

Here's an update for anyone who cares...

I took the car to the local Porsche dealer today. I was told that in fact the car does have a passenger mirror reverse dip feature, this feature is included with the memory seat option.

It's interesting that both my 1998 Owners Manual and the Bentley Manual make no mention of the feature.

I had the dealer turn off the feature as they said it would be a couple hours ($$) labor to trouble shoot the issue of why it would not return to the original setting after dipping.

Thanks Macster your explanation of how it should work was exactly what the dealer described.

I pleased to know the answer and to know the car is not possessed!
Old 10-03-2017, 08:33 PM
eyedoc
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have 2009 Boxster-it doesn't have dip feature on reverse. I was told the Boxster S has it, not sure which year that was standard on the "S". I think all 911 have it-not sure which year that began. Could be wrong; but that was my understanding. Is a nice feature (but only when it works, of course).

Quick Reply: Passenger Mirror Reverse Dip on a 1998?