Clutch replacement thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 03:19 PM
jerry1847
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch replacement thoughts

Hi all,

Picked up a project 2001 boxster s last night and had some clutch questions.

I knew it was toast going in, the Indy who serviced the car had been trying to get the guy to do the job for a couple years. Now it's up to me.

We're at 126k miles. I'll be doing the ims as well.

Pelican parts has a master clutch kit with everything ,clutch, flywheel, pressure plate , bearings ... For 1350. I'm leaning going that route but is it necessary?

The clutch is harder to engage than I'm used to (996tt as the baseline) and shudders when released. The shifter is also slower and clunkier than it should be. It gets in gear and stays in gear just fine.

Should I just start with the core components and replace other things as needed? Possibly go to a single mass flywheel?

Thoughts are appreciated. Going to do this myself (first clutch job) so want to start ordering parts soon.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2017, 12:02 PM
brianmch
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would only question necessity of replacing the flywheel. There doesn't seem to be much chatter about replacing them but if the clutch has been shuddering this could have created excess wear. Any idea about miles the last couple years? What is the cost difference between the standard and the sport flywheel as I'd probably consider going that route.

What IMS is in the Pelican kit? Some scoff at anything less than the LN kit others say this is reputation is marketing ploy. Since the motor has gone 126K from factory it makes me wonder whether the LN is necessary, esp as they only give it a 50K life.

Just read an Ebay posting for a 996 that just had an engine blow after an Indy shop replaced the original 105K mile IMS with the LN. The Indy was stated as being reputable. Who knows.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry1847
Hi all,

Picked up a project 2001 boxster s last night and had some clutch questions.

I knew it was toast going in, the Indy who serviced the car had been trying to get the guy to do the job for a couple years. Now it's up to me.

We're at 126k miles. I'll be doing the ims as well.

Pelican parts has a master clutch kit with everything ,clutch, flywheel, pressure plate , bearings ... For 1350. I'm leaning going that route but is it necessary?

The clutch is harder to engage than I'm used to (996tt as the baseline) and shudders when released. The shifter is also slower and clunkier than it should be. It gets in gear and stays in gear just fine.

Should I just start with the core components and replace other things as needed? Possibly go to a single mass flywheel?

Thoughts are appreciated. Going to do this myself (first clutch job) so want to start ordering parts soon.

Thanks!
My 2002 Boxster's clutch is a bit harder to engage than my 2003 Turbo's clutch. Remember the Turbo clutch is boosted. If you want to know how it would feel without the boost shut off the engine and fully depress the clutch pedal then release and repeat a number of times until all the saved up boost is used up. At this point you will experience the Turbo clutch sans any boost. You think the Boxster clutch is hard to work...

Does the clutch slip? If it does it has to be replaced and this includes the friction disc, pressure plate, release bearing, possibly the flywheel if the dual mass feaure isn't working right or the flywheel surface has been damaged due to excessive clutch slippage. Also whatever fastener hardware (flywheel bolts?) are supposed to be replaced rather than reused.

Additionally while you are there any clutch linkage components that show signs of wear should be replaced.

Whether you do the RMS seal/IMSB end flange and bolts or even apply some aftermarket IMSB "fix" is up to you.

If the clutch is not slipping have to mention that some few of years ago my 2002 Boxster was manifesting similar clutch/shifting behavior and a brake and clutch fluid flush/bleed was done and afterwards the untoward behavior was gone. The improvement was remarkable. And this was with fluid that had only been in service approx. 2.5 years. The fluid is supposed to be flushed/bled every 2 years.

Frankly before this while I had adhered to that fluid service schedule I had my doubts about it being really necessary. I did it to help ensure prolonged brake component life. But after my experience I have no doubts at all.

More recently the clutch pedal had developed an intermittent issue of during release of feeling like it was briefly transistioning through a section of no resistance almost like there was an air pocket and this was making for some difficultly launching the car smoothly from a stop.

The brake wear warning light had come on a few times and the brakes (front) were due (they had been in service 51K miles) and I had the car in for new brakes and of course a brake and clutch fluid flush bleed. Afterwards the clutch pedal action was better and the air pocket like symptom has not returned.

Might add that my 2002 Boxster has covered 315K+ miles and is on its original clutch. Part of the reason is -- with one or two exceptions -- I have had the brake and clutch fluid flushed/bled every 2 years. The other part is I don't abuse/misuse the clutch.

The Boxster clutch life is not a fluke. The Turbo clutch has over 158K miles. At 120K miles I had the RMS done and the clutch was out -- came out along with the transmission -- and the clutch disc had no measureable wear.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:56 PM
jerry1847
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats good to know. I may try to change the fluids first. the indy who had the car the last few years let me know the PO was cheap and skipped/put off a number of service items.

Am i correct that the boxster uses the brake fluid for both brakes and clutch? Still waiting on my service manual to arrive.

I did go ahead and order a full clutch service kit, master cylinder , LN IMS and RMS along with a number of other things.

Last edited by jerry1847; 09-28-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry1847
thats good to know. I may try to change the fluids first. the indy who had the car the last few years let me know the PO was cheap and skipped/put off a number of service items.

Am i correct that the boxster uses the brake fluid for both brakes and clutch? Still waiting on my service manual to arrive.

I did go ahead and order a full clutch service kit, master cylinder , LN IMS and RMS along with a number of other things.
The Boxster shares brake fluid between the brake and clutch hydraulic systems.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:04 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clutch chatter can also be caused by work engine and transmission mounts. Have them checked out.

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement thoughts