Sponsored by:

Seat belt constantly trapping me

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 12:01 AM
cky3k
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat belt constantly trapping me

The seatbelt in my 02 boxster s was constantly trapping me. it would lock up and I couldnt lean forward, and then it might take 2-3 times to loosen it up so that i might shift my weight up to counter act slouching.

I eventually had it replaced with a brand new one under my used car warranty. now it is even worse. Ive had 4 other 986's and all but one were find with regards to this problem (ironically the other S). Does anyone else have this issue? I am really about ready to sell the car over it. Its beyond infuriating.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:06 PM
cky3k
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone relate to this issue?
Old 10-18-2017, 04:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Had this happen once in a while over the years.

Never got to the point I had to do anything about it though.

However, just in case I kind of recall looking into this a bit and I believe the problem is the take up reel reel gets dirty (or if it uses a grease the grease dries out) and when you pull the belt to fasten around you or just lean forward or move about and the belt would normally move and adjust as you move the reel causes the belt to lock up as it normally would under a severe collision.

Probably the reel has to be taken apart and its type/style determined and from this a solution should present itself.

If a greaseless reel then cleaning with a non-residual cleaner (soap and water then air drying) or if greased reel the grease needs to be removed and the mechanism thoroughly cleaned then greased. The grease is probably some "special" grease maybe not even petroleum based.

Because this has not become a problem with either of my Porsches I don't know what type of reel is fitted nor how to take it apart, assuming it can be taken apart without ruining it.

Quick Reply: Seat belt constantly trapping me