Possible 986 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:58 PM
328ifun
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible 986 Owner

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum but I may be spending a lot of time here.

I'm a BMW guy by nature and currently own a e36 328i precision 6262 boosted hardtop cabriolet. All of the work was done by myself. And its capable of 550whp at 18 or so psi.

Anyway,

I found a listing on Craigslist for a 2000 986 base model. Car has 114,000 on it and the guy said he got the car from a customer. He doesn't know much about but he says it runs and drives. Also said the car needs a little paint work and has a few dings.

He texted me earlier today when I told him I wanted to come look and said he needs to look at the car because the immobilizer is preventing it from starting.

Anything in particular I should be looking for when I go check it out tomorrow? And are immobilizers common problems on these cars?

Thanks for the help guys. I would love to own one of these cars!
Old 08-21-2017, 08:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 328ifun
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum but I may be spending a lot of time here.

I'm a BMW guy by nature and currently own a e36 328i precision 6262 boosted hardtop cabriolet. All of the work was done by myself. And its capable of 550whp at 18 or so psi.

Anyway,

I found a listing on Craigslist for a 2000 986 base model. Car has 114,000 on it and the guy said he got the car from a customer. He doesn't know much about but he says it runs and drives. Also said the car needs a little paint work and has a few dings.

He texted me earlier today when I told him I wanted to come look and said he needs to look at the car because the immobilizer is preventing it from starting.

Anything in particular I should be looking for when I go check it out tomorrow? And are immobilizers common problems on these cars?

Thanks for the help guys. I would love to own one of these cars!
Problems with the immobilizer -- security system -- are rare relatively speaking but are more common than one might at first suspect because of the security module's location. It is located on cabin floor under one of the seats -- you'll have to look to see which one -- and what often happens is the car's body water drains get full of trash and rair or wash water collects, backs up and overflows and in doing to can run into the cabin. It doesn't take much water to really affect the car's security system.

Another source of water problems is one of the doors is leaking water into the car/cabin. The door has a membrane that is designed to keep water from the wet side of the door from getting to the dry side. The door is full of electronics and water can cause all kinds of goofy gremlins. But if left untreated these gremlins can migrate and a non-functioning security module can be the result.

'course water leaking from the door into the cabin can affect the security module more directly. Check the door bottoms, the carpets, for any signs of dampness.

The key has a RFID pill in the head. When the key is inserted and turned the security system causes an RF signal be transmitted from an antenna located behind the key surround in the dash. The RF signal is picked up by the pill and is used to generate sufficient electrical energy to cause the RF circuitry in the pill to transmit an ID that is received and decoded and used to confirm the key should be allowed to start the engine.

If this antenna is damaged and sometimes it can get damaged if the ignition switch is replaced or there is a problem at any point from the antenna to the security module or back again the engine won't start, won't even crank.

But if the car is equipped with a manual a bad clutch safety interlock switch can prevent the engine from cranking. For a Tip equippped car a bad shifter position switch likewise.

In the case of a bad RF signal path the security module should provide an error code. Also, other problems can have their own error codes and with the right diagnositic computer a tech can pull these and thus be on his way to diagnosing what's wrong.

To properly check out the car the engine must start and run. A proper check out wants to the engine to run about an hour which gives it time to manifest any issues, problems, the DME to run through all its readiness monitor tests and if a problem found turn on the CEL and log one or more error codes.

What to check for? Everything.

Let me save typing by cutting/pasting something I have written and saved for just such an occasion.

The Boxster is just a used car and a thorough used car check out can go a long way to helping you "know" the car.

Visit the car cold and be sure the CEL comes on when you turn the key on and goes off when you start the engine. Let the cold engine idle -- turn off the A/C for now -- while you walk around the car. Look at body panel fits and finish. Check the age of the tires. Porsche considers tires to be past their replace by date after 6 years. If the tires are not N-rated and matching you probably want to budget for new tires. If the tread wear is uneven budget for an alignment after having new tires mounted.

Check brake rotor condition. A 1mm lip around the edge of the rotor is a sign the rotor is worn out and new rotors and pads and other hardware will be needed.

Brake fluid (and if a manual clutch fluid) flush/bleed should be done at this time. This is due every 2 years.

Check the radiator ducts. If trash present and it wiil be budget for a front bumper cover removal to get that trash out.

If the radiators are full of trash odds are the body water drains are too. Bring along a Torx tool bit set (get the security bit set) and use the tool to remove the screw that holds the panel on either side of the battery -- under the front trunk lid -- so you can view the front body water drains. If the trash is there get this cleaned out first thing if you buy the car. If the trash is wet, or worse, water is standing in the basin you probably want to walk away. Water can overflow into the cabin and the security module is located on the cabin floor under the passenger seat and this gets wet.

To check the rear body water drain have the seller put the top in its "service position" and view the rear body water drains, one on each side of the car under the area the clamshell arms cover.

All the while you do whatever you do keep an ear tuned to the engine. It should not make any knocks, ticks, or other sounds other than those of a healthy engine. The idle should be smooth and shortly after you start the engine the idle speed should drop to near its normal hot idle level. The idle speed should be pretty stable.

Check the top. For the 2000 MY the window is plastic and while it should be clear it might not be. It could be scratched or even cracked.

The canvas top covering should be smooth. If it looks like it has bubbles under it this is a sign the rubber sheet under the canvas cover -- and it is the rubber sheet that seals the cabin from the elements -- is deterioating. A new factory top can run to $3K (I was quoted $2600 with a substantial discount for my 2002 Boxster top. I went with an aftermarket top for around $1400.)

After some stationary checks then have the seller take you on a test ride. The route wants to be 15 miles long (at least) and selected to give the driver a chance to demo the car as you intend to drive it.

Stop and go driving. Boulevard cruising. Once the engine is fully warmed up then a hard acceleration run up through 2 gears then some highway miles. You want a real mix.

Back at the starting point change seats and drive the car over teh same route the same way.

The clutch will have a rather high engagement point -- normal for these cars -- but the engagment should be very smooth. The clutch pedal effort should not be high but you need exposure to other examples to know what's normal.

Shifting the 5-speed is based on my experience very sweet. That is one smooth/fast shifting transmission. However, I can also tell you based on my experience if the brake/clutch fluid is past its change by date this can -- believe it or not -- affect the clutch operation *and* the shifting.

At some point put the transmission in 4th or 5th gear at around 2K and floor the gas pedal and hold for a while. You want to check if the clutch slips.

If the car is equipped with a Tip early on whie the Tip is still cold have the seller do a K-turn. You want to verify the Tip can handle repeated changes in direction with no untoward behavior.

At some point in your test drive do another K-turn this time obviously with the Tip fully up to temperature.

Back at the starting point if you still like the car give every system a check out. From the headlights to tail lights, brake lights. The spoiler. Let the engine idle and be sure the radiator fans come on and both blow hot air and the same amount. The engine compartment fan will probably come on and be sure it runs and blows a good amount of air out the bottom of the engine compartment.

Use your nose. You should not smell raw fuel or anti-freeze. If you do there's a fuel or coolant leak.

Might add the engine should still be free of any "scary" noises at this point as well as at any other time during the check out.

After all the above then ideally you want a PPI which among other things gets the car in the air so a thorough check for any leak sign can be made. Every gasket, seal, o-ring, CV boot, hydraulic line, line fitting, hose, hose connection, oil/water heat exchangers, radiator, steering rack lines and so on need to be checked for oil or water or other fluid leak sign.

A leaking water pump or radiator is not the end of the world but you have to factor the cost of addressing these or any other issues into your offer price.

Couple of things to close with. Price is not fact only an opinion.

And if you find something "wrong" with the car walk away. There is always another car.

Quick Reply: Possible 986 Owner