Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Can't get in my car! Broken door handle...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 11:51 PM
2001SaxsterS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Can't get in my car! Broken door handle...

Well, I've found myself in quite a pickle! A few months ago something broke on my passenger side door exterior handle. Basically, it will not open from the outside. The handle looks and moves as normal, but it's like it isn't linked to anything to actually unlatch the door. I'm assuming that a cable or linkage of some kind broke. The door can be opened from the inside just fine. Oh, and it isn't an electrical thing, as pulling the outside handle still causes the window to go down the little bit to clear the gasket...it just won't open!

So, annoying, but not the end of the world I thought. Since I could still open the door from the inside I put off getting it fixed figuring I'd get it done the next time I needed an oil change. Big mistake, because now the same thing has happened to my driver side door leaving me effectively locked out of the car! Does anyone have an idea for how I can at least get into the car? I don't know that a locksmith can help me because something inside the doors is obviously not connected to the latching system. Any ideas???
Old 07-24-2017, 12:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001SaxsterS
Well, I've found myself in quite a pickle! A few months ago something broke on my passenger side door exterior handle. Basically, it will not open from the outside. The handle looks and moves as normal, but it's like it isn't linked to anything to actually unlatch the door. I'm assuming that a cable or linkage of some kind broke. The door can be opened from the inside just fine. Oh, and it isn't an electrical thing, as pulling the outside handle still causes the window to go down the little bit to clear the gasket...it just won't open!

So, annoying, but not the end of the world I thought. Since I could still open the door from the inside I put off getting it fixed figuring I'd get it done the next time I needed an oil change. Big mistake, because now the same thing has happened to my driver side door leaving me effectively locked out of the car! Does anyone have an idea for how I can at least get into the car? I don't know that a locksmith can help me because something inside the doors is obviously not connected to the latching system. Any ideas???
A well regarded auto locksmith should have the equipment to get the door open.

What is involved -- I've watched this done with another make of vehicle -- is the guy will have a kit -- a large briefcase/small suitcase -- of various sizes of inflatable balloons albeit made of more substantial material than your average balloon.

He'll pick the right one for the job and slip it between the window and car and inflate the balloon enough to create a gap wide enough he can reach in with one of the special rods/hooks in the case and open the door from the inside.

You'll have to call around and make sure you get the right auto locksmith. Describe the situation and get some assurance that when the guy arrives he'll know what to do.

Before you call a locksmith though you might visit the dealer and speak with a tech about this. He may know of someone he can recommend and perhaps offer some advice or some pointers.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:43 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What Macaster said, just make sure if you have a hard top they put something between the rod and top to protect it. My miata top has a few paint chips because of this.

Put your location in your profile, it helps locals give you tips on who to use and who not to use.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:37 PM
TonyOddo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Once it's open...

Once you get the door open, the fix isn't too bad. This has happened to me a couple of times. The problem is that the door lock connector has come loose. This piece connects the lock mechanism to the handle.

The piece that slides over the bolt on the handle slips, then the parts disconnect. It could be worn from just being old. Open up the door panel - make sure the window is up. Don't disconnect the side air bag before disconnecting the battery! Once the panel is open, remove the metal plate near the lock mechanism and then slide your hand up until you can feel the loose pieces. Put the bolt into the receiving end of the connector, slide the cover over, and it should work. I'm getting a new part ($6.50 at Pelican) for the next time.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:53 PM
jerry1847
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if i hold my key in the open position in the drivers door the windows go down.....

Quick Reply: Help! Can't get in my car! Broken door handle...