Notices

Anybody using Solostorm for data and video?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 10:59 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Anybody using Solostorm for data and video?

Seriously looking at this and Harry's stuff also. Biggest concern is getting either up on either a large tele screen or giant monitor in my trailer. Any thoughts? I know I can review either on a large pad where the software is loaded. Big screen in trailer would be a good way to compare my runs and watch others runs.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:03 AM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 227 Posts

I'm using the Garmin Virb XE with a 10 hz gps and blue tooth OBDII. I've been pretty happy with it so far. I need to look into solostorm.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:15 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Solostorm purchased today with connectivity package. Samsung loaded 9.3" S3 tablet purchased with keyboard also purchased. Also bought open box special Samsung 40" TV, Smart 6000 series, for inside my trailer. This screen can directly mirror the screen on my tablet with nothing else needed, wireless. I have a go pro black to work with and now need an inverter to power the screen in my trailer. More as I connect the dots.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:31 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Damn that sounds slick! I ran a beta of Solostorm back before he started charging. I like it, especially for post-event analysis, but found I preferred alaprecord better for between-run analysis which is when I really need that feedback. Also, alaprecord only costs $6. But sounds like you're going all out on this... I'll be interested to see how it works for you.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:55 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Damn that sounds slick! I ran a beta of Solostorm back before he started charging. I like it, especially for post-event analysis, but found I preferred alaprecord better for between-run analysis which is when I really need that feedback. Also, alaprecord only costs $6. But sounds like you're going all out on this... I'll be interested to see how it works for you.
Most clubs here have a short lunch break and as you know, having an enclosed trailer gets you many friends. A few are using Android devices and Solostorm so it will be good to put their runs up for discussion also.
I spoke with Solostorm yesterday and was told that once fluent with the app I should be able to view in a few min after the run.
Being a course designer helps too because my work is done just after the course opens for walking. But I will need to start walking the course to enter data points before the run. One key feature I like is that the GPS will turn the camera on when I cue up to start. No more forgetting to turn it on or off.
I may be running it as soon as this weekend.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:39 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Only seen it rather than used it myself, but I guess you can also upload your data to a cloud and share with others, which is super neat. Nearly everyone in my local group runs it, I'm the odd man out.

I also heard a story that the Whiteners would review data for each other between runs at a pro, which is insane. They're machines though, so I don't know if that's plausible for a mortal.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:01 PM
Lego Maniac
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(long time forum lurker)

full disclosure: I have co-driven with the SoloStorm owner for 2 years, attended SCCA Packwood National/Championship Tour twice and run it at all our local events. I haven't tried the other apps other than really early in the Harry's Laptimer days when it wasn't officially supporting autocross I think.

The value is in overlaying runs (either your own or with a co-driver) and being able to tell what approach is the fastest for each element. No butt dyno "mmm... i think that section was faster this time" questions. We have been surprised many times when looking at the data, what the faster line is through a section.

If your club scores only the first 3 runs, then reviewing run data with a co-driver becomes a huge advantage. With a co-driver, you could be reviewing 4 runs worth of data heading into your 3rd run!

In terms of reviewing between runs, it's not overly complicated to do, the intent of the app was to be able to do between run analysis. Come into grid, pull the phone off the mount and review, remount and go out again. If you have the benefit of displaying on a big screen and analyzing that's awesome.

In the past i have run it on a tablet, the bigger screen made it easier to view the data, securing the tablet in the car can be a bit more of a question but the screen doesn't have to be viewable during the run.

FWIW, it also has a track mode so you can take it to your track day (if so allowed) and review lapping data too

Hope that helps, feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

Cheers!
Zach

Quick Reply: Anybody using Solostorm for data and video?