Notices

Silly me: I bought a 944 for E-street Autocross

Old 04-10-2017, 08:57 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by msterling
I knew there were forged Fuchs versions and cast Ronal versions but I thought they were lumped together as D90 type wheels as they look fairly similar. I did list the different part numbers for the forged and cast wheels. I'm sure mrgreenjeans is entirely correct. Was Frank Zappa your son?

frank zappa was my grand dad

son of a-nodder mater with a space alien peder

and no, the D90 are not referred to across the board covering both wheels. This is the terminology sellers with those rims wish to propagate, as there is moolah to be made by confusing the two.

Also, am sure the cast D90s aren't Ronals, but a different maker. Just can't think who they are right now. I don't have any in my group so cannot go out to the cars and look either.

But, the forged, light, and strong ClubSports are definitely ONLY made by FUCHS and carry the price accordingly.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:58 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Got to the bottom of the 8" & 9" wheel question.

Attached is page 26 from the 1988 order guide.

The '88 guide indicates option 393 and option 394 (specifically the 8" & 9" cast magnesium wheels) were available, but only for Option 637 "club-sport" cars. These were the Cup cars used in various race series in different countries. There is no indication that these wheels were available any other way than by ordering a Cup car.
Attached Images  

Last edited by edfishjr; 04-14-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:59 AM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Default M030 Parts

Made a trip to Birmingham yesterday to acquire some M030 parts I need.

-Brand new, in the box, late M030 struts, rebuilt/revalved and converted to double-adjustable by Koni. (The spring perches, threaded collars and locking nuts are still available from Porsche.)
-A pair of used M030 upper strut mounts
-The correct blue dot/white dot front springs (whew, was I sweating finding those!)
-A pair of 3-race JRZ single-adjustable shocks for the rear. (I may need to fab a spacer to set it at the correct position w/r/t the lower control arm mounting point.)

The seller also has a pair of used 25.5mm torsion bars for the rear that he gave me good price for that I will get later.

M030 bits are coming together.
Attached Images  
Old 04-14-2017, 12:53 PM
msterling
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that double adjustable shocks will take you out of Street Class with SCCA. Looks like a nice setup though. Permanently disabling the second adjuster could make it legal.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:59 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that double adjustable shocks will take you out of Street Class with SCCA.
Double-adjustable shocks are both legal and common in Street class.. My iPad won't let me copy the text of the rule, but you can see it in 13.5.A.1 here: http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1484692275.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:49 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

There's an outfit that can widen 7" phone dials, or Fuchs.. That's probably how I'll get 15 x 8's in the rear, now that Ive confirmed what Pedalfaster knew all along about legal wheel sizes.

I love phone-dials. I don't care if they aren't the lightest. Need to find 2 more 15 x 7's.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:17 AM
msterling
Advanced

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
Double-adjustable shocks are both legal and common in Street class.. My iPad won't let me copy the text of the rule, but you can see it in 13.5.A.1 here: http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1484692275.
I should have read the rules again before posting. It was triple adjustables that were not allowed.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:43 AM
msterling
Advanced

There should be some 15x8 Fuchs around. My 911 came with 15x7&8 Fuchs. Sorry, they are staying with this car. I haven't checked the going prices though. BBS made 15s and 16s in those widths. I think the widest Cookies were 7". I have a set of those and they are light. Can they be widened?
Old 04-16-2017, 05:13 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

There should be some 15x8 Fuchs around. My 911 came with 15x7&8 Fuchs. Sorry, they are staying with this car. I haven't checked the going prices though. BBS made 15s and 16s in those widths. I think the widest Cookies were 7". I have a set of those and they are light. Can they be widened?
i think those will all be early offsets where I need late.

The simple technique of extending the barrel of a wheel will increase the offset by half the amount extended, then requiring a spacer to get back to within 7mm of the nominal stock offset. If I'm thinking right?

If I start with a 7" 52.3mm offset wheel and add 25.4mm to the barrel, I now have 12.7 mm too much offset.
Then I'd need a 6mm spacer to get back to within 7mm of stock. Seems like that might work? I know there's plenty of space. Might need extended studs.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:45 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Phil's had some 15" Jongbloed wheels made up for 944s, but I can't seem to find them now. Maybe a wild goose chase, but maybe they were what you need?
Old 04-17-2017, 12:19 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by burglar
Phil's had some 15" Jongbloed wheels made up for 944s, but I can't seem to find them now. Maybe a wild goose chase, but maybe they were what you need?
Yes, I found those. They seem to be good, economical wheels, but they have a reduced offset to 40mm, in order to push them out, I guess. I can't see how they can be legal.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:57 PM
mdnt08
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 83 944 NA in CSP

Hey, I've just participated in the last half of SCCA solo here in CSP.

Weltmeister 225lb/koni sport/25.5mm sway/poly bushings
26mm Torsion/koni sport/18mm sway/poly-graphite bushings
Upper Strut bar in front
Sway mount reinforcement brackets in front
Steel arms not boxed yet
Removed rear bump stops
Cut front bump stops by 50%

16" 7" and 8"? early offset Phone Dials with Nexen SUR4s and 4mm spacers.

Not sure what your experiences have been, but even with stiffer rate springs...my car would fully compress down to the bump stops and that would upset the geometry causing unsettling understeer and oversteer. You might want to double check your travel and stops. I think early 944's like mine had a 3-4" rear stop so you may not have the same deal.

My set up is a slightly stiffer set up of a late turbo, as I could not afford the higher aftermarket sway set up. I opted to put in a VEMs and SuperCharger instead since mine is "not stock" class.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:45 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdnt08
Hey, I've just participated in the last half of SCCA solo here in CSP.

Weltmeister 225lb/koni sport/25.5mm sway/poly bushings
26mm Torsion/koni sport/18mm sway/poly-graphite bushings
Upper Strut bar in front
Sway mount reinforcement brackets in front
Steel arms not boxed yet
Removed rear bump stops
Cut front bump stops by 50%

16" 7" and 8"? early offset Phone Dials with Nexen SUR4s and 4mm spacers.

Not sure what your experiences have been, but even with stiffer rate springs...my car would fully compress down to the bump stops and that would upset the geometry causing unsettling understeer and oversteer. You might want to double check your travel and stops. I think early 944's like mine had a 3-4" rear stop so you may not have the same deal.

My set up is a slightly stiffer set up of a late turbo, as I could not afford the higher aftermarket sway set up. I opted to put in a VEMs and SuperCharger instead since mine is "not stock" class.
Where do you run?

I think I'm going to get real knowledgeable about bump stops.

I went to install the JRZ rears the other day and found that one of them was wonky. No gas pressure... strange behavior. It's being looked at. N2 may have gone past the floating piston o-ring.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:58 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Default 2nd event

Only change on the car since the first event is 7mm wheel spacers all around. When I get the rear wheels widened to 8" these will make the offset legal.

Conditions were very wet, with standing puddles, and I was loving it. I felt like Alonso getting his chance at Vettel and Hamilton (represented by two brothers in a "99 Sport Miata who were 1 and 2 at the last event) thanks to the water, and I was right, as long as it lasted.

After my 4-run morning session I was 1st in ES and 1st in PAX among the half of the classes that had run. With the low grip level the car was well-behaved, given the lessor roll it had to deal with.

Then it began drying out and the 2nd run group took over all the top PAX positions.

During lunch it rained some more, then was drying as our group began our second set of 4 runs. The more grip improved the more the ES competition crept up on me. I got passed by 3 others in Miatas and ended up 4th, with the top 4 being very closely spaced. I felt pretty good because winning ES was very possible today.

It also makes me more certain that, once the car is lower, stiffer and better damped with the sport suspension underneath it I'll be able to do well locally in ES.

Too soon to tell about national competitiveness.

P.S. I'll be in an AS Corvette Grandsport at the Blytheville Pro in 2 weeks.

Last edited by edfishjr; 04-24-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:54 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Default Last major piece needed

The last major piece of the M030 suspension I need are the threaded sleeves that slip down the Koni strut that provide height adjustment.

Anyone have idea where I might find a pair?

I've contacted 944ecology and Paragon with no luck so far.

I don't have a part number?

Last edited by edfishjr; 04-26-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Silly me: I bought a 944 for E-street Autocross