Notices

2017 Autocross Videos

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 05:23 PM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
2017 SCCA Solo Nationals in Lincoln NE, running in AS in my 2010 Boxster S (PDK) on Bridgestone RE-71R against a giant field of Z06s. I coned away all but my slowest run on each course, but wow was fun. The West course especially was SO MUCH FUN! Just wish I could have caught Ryan who won BS; I compared my videos to his and see I was right with him for most of both courses (indistinguishable difference) but there were two sections east where I gave up several tenths each and a pucker section West where he was able to carry a ton of speed (especially on his coned 3rd run which would have raw-timed AS) but I apparently over-slowed and gave up a massive amount of time. Anyway, I'm still really happy how I drove and feel like I proved I can at least hang with the big boys even if I didn't trophy, and West was so fun I don't even care that I coned both my good runs.
Congrats and great driving! I had been keeping an online eye on Stan and his Turbo as well as some of the local DC folk when I saw a lone nut in a Boxster in AS whose name looked familiar.

Huge (and inexplicable) classing disadvantage aside, that was a really great showing. Thanks for posting the videos! I particularly like the perspective that allows seeing your inputs in these last ones.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:34 PM
webweaver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video comparison of the best runs in SS at SCCA nationals

Here's a cool video showing the best run of the top 2 drivers in the SuperStreet class at the SCCA nationals last week.

https://www.scca.com/articles/200792...utocross-close

Scott Fraser is driving a 2014 GT3, Perry Aidelbaum a 2016 GT4. Wow!
Old 09-13-2017, 10:24 PM
webweaver
Intermediate

Default My

Here's my best run (45.347 secs) at the Lotus GGLC event at Marina, on September 9, 2017:

For this event the front swaybar was setup to full stiff, which didn't work so well.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:56 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by webweaver
Here's my best run (45.347 secs) at the Lotus GGLC event at Marina, on September 9, 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6RJTDGfyOM

For this event the front swaybar was setup to full stiff, which didn't work so well.
Webweaver, I like what you are using for the video overlay. What app is that?
Old 09-15-2017, 07:07 PM
webweaver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Devil Boy
Webweaver, I like what you are using for the video overlay. What app is that?
Thanks! I use RaceRender. It allows you to customize what's shown on the overlay quite a bit.

At the event I capture the telemetry data with TrackAddict from a Bluetooth OBD II unit (PLX Kiwi 3) and an external Bluetooth GPS unit (Dual XGPS160). The mobile app is a bit clunky to use, but it starts the GoPro, and at the same time logs the OBD II and GPS information in a CSV file. Once home, you then feed the GoPro video and CSV file to RaceRender to overlay the data on top of the video. Once that's generated, I process the generated video through Final Cut Pro to cut the video to length and overimpose additional information.

A fairly involved process, but once you get the hang of it, it takes about 15-20 minutes for an autocross lap.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Thanks! I use RaceRender. It allows you to customize what's shown on the overlay quite a bit.

At the event I capture the telemetry data with TrackAddict from a Bluetooth OBD II unit (PLX Kiwi 3) and an external Bluetooth GPS unit (Dual XGPS160). The mobile app is a bit clunky to use, but it starts the GoPro, and at the same time logs the OBD II and GPS information in a CSV file. Once home, you then feed the GoPro video and CSV file to RaceRender to overlay the data on top of the video. Once that's generated, I process the generated video through Final Cut Pro to cut the video to length and overimpose additional information.

A fairly involved process, but once you get the hang of it, it takes about 15-20 minutes for an autocross lap.
Thanks for that info. I'll have to look into that one of these days.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:07 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Old 09-19-2017, 03:13 AM
webweaver
Intermediate

Default Porsche LPR and GGR events at Marina - September 16 & 17, 2017

This past weekend the two Bay Area chapters held a two-day joint event at Marina. Here are my best runs from each day.

LPR:
GGR:
Old 09-19-2017, 12:24 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are my best runs from that same event.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:46 PM
webweaver
Intermediate

At this weekend's event Dave Dunwoodie co-drove my car. I created the side by side videos of our best runs at each event, just so I can see how I can improve. Here they are:

LPR:
GGR:

There are two things I need to work on:
  • Don't coast before a turn.
  • Keep the gas on while in a turn.

Last edited by webweaver; 09-20-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:57 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Managed to get out a little more this year. Think I'm pretty ready for a set of something a lot stickier than my AS/3s.. Car could also use a proper set of swaybars. Still fun nonetheless! Timing was shot on the PCA runs so no real idea how well I did but from what we did get, I was in the top third anyways so pretty happy with that considering.

45.3 (from what we did get from the timer) for the PCA run

Fastest of my runs with VCMC was 56.6. Big yeehaw at the end!

Old 10-08-2017, 11:39 PM
webweaver
Intermediate

Default Multi-camera setup using Garmin VIRB Ultra 30

At today's Lotus GGLC autocross I tried a multi-camera setup using the Garmin VIRB Ultra 30.

The Ultra 30 is a quite nice camera, especially for autocross. It embeds a 10GHz GPS receiver, and is able to show telemetry data directly on screen. It can also connect to an external Bluetooth OBD2 sensor to receive information from your car. I use the Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 OBD2 sensor which works very well with my GT4. If you're looking for a one stop solution, this is the camera to get. Also make sure you get the Garmin VIRB Ultra Cage, so you can provide power to the camera instead of relying on the camera's battery.

On their web site, Garmin provides free of charge VIRB Edit, a desktop app (Windows and Mac) to import the videos from your camera. The app lets you design your own gauges and place them on screen. When you render the video, the gauges will contain the actual recorded data from your run. Quite nice!

The multi-camera setup based on VIRB relies on the ANT+ protocol used by Garmin across most of their products. You designate a camera as the main VIRB camera, and one or more other cameras as Extended VIRB cameras. Using an ANT+ remote you can turn it on/off all the camera. Garmin sells a remote for this purpose, but I just use my backpacking Epix watch to trigger the cameras. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work reliably with more than one slave camera. The pairing process is extremely finicky, and even after that still sucks. Case in point: the passenger side camera did not record anything at the event, and I found this out when I got home. This process has to be completely reliable, since you don't want to be checking on your cameras instead of focusing on your driving.

The 4K image quality of the Ultra 30 does not appear to be as good as that of the GoPro Hero5 Black. The exposure was set up to -2 stops to properly capture the view of the track. Details in the shadow are kind of hard to make out. The GoPro Hero5 Black did not have an issue with that. On the GoPro you can also setup the focus point; you cannot on the Ultra 30.

Another downside for the VIRB: there doesn't seem to be a way to connect an external microphone (like the RØDE VideoMic), and at the same time provide power to the camera. GoPro has a rather expensive ($50) USC-C to microphone connector that lets you supply the connection to an external microphone, as well as power. This is great for motorsports purposes, where you can provide power via a cigarette adapter. Garmin mentions you can supply microphone via Bluetooth, but that's mostly meant for headsets, which is not what I need.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:30 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I competed in the North Carolina Autocross Championships this weekend; I'm from Virginia, but it's the only big east-coast event this year and served as a de facto national tour for a lot of us, attracting a lot of great talent from all over NC and up and down the coast. I coned away all my best runs, but had they been clean... lol

Day 1:

Day 2:
Old 10-09-2017, 01:37 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

At today's Lotus GGLC autocross I tried a multi-camera setup using the Garmin VIRB Ultra 30.
So many post-its though
Old 10-09-2017, 03:05 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from the same event that webweaver posted above.

Quick Reply: 2017 Autocross Videos