Notices

Budget SCCA FP 944 turbo build with first run video

Old 08-30-2016, 11:55 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Budget SCCA FP 944 turbo build with first run video

A friend and I are putting this car together for Chump/WRL, but we're double dipping with some FP autocross fun.

This is the first outing with any real parts on it.
I'm happy to share with anyone that is interested in building one, would like to see more of them pop up.

Build list so far: (most of this has to come off for chump)
Ground control coilover kit with konis and camber plates.
Lindsey racing 3" exhaust
old school max 951 chips and 3 bar regulator
lindsey boost enhancer
Right at class minimum 2700 lbs.
9" clubsport wheels front and rear with Gforce R1s 245 square setup.

This put me about 3 seconds off the current national champion on Toledo concrete.... results show a wider gap because of cones, but I'm honestly not 100% sure where i hit them, and it certainly wasnt cheating my raw time up by too much.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:07 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Oh hey, I was there. I was elbows deep in a BBQ parfait when you were running but from what I saw car looked really good for a non-srsbzns build.

The skinny R1s surely don't help - some stubby and wide Avons that would put 2nd gear redline near ~65mph would chop a lot of that 3 seconds away. Driving and line look very good. If you can be within shouting distance of Dave or Jones/Raglin you're doing pretty good, some excellent measuring sticks in the area. When Tomo hops in that 914 it'll be lights out though.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:39 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by burglar
Oh hey, I was there. I was elbows deep in a BBQ parfait when you were running but from what I saw car looked really good for a non-srsbzns build.

The skinny R1s surely don't help - some stubby and wide Avons that would put 2nd gear redline near ~65mph would chop a lot of that 3 seconds away. Driving and line look very good. If you can be within shouting distance of Dave or Jones/Raglin you're doing pretty good, some excellent measuring sticks in the area. When Tomo hops in that 914 it'll be lights out though.
Thanks!.. The R1's were the right price range for right now and they were phenomenal on the car compared to the RE11s that came off of it. We're down about 5 pounds of boost from where we should be with this setup because of the limitations of the stock wastegate and the restrictive stock hot side. I need to set the boost in second gear, and then make sure we all know that third gear is off limits because it would overboost to the moon. I also don't have the money for a limited slip differential right now, so that is going to be a big hurdle if I add 30 to 40 more horsepower.

I'm also not sure that the weights for the class make any sense. Dave is making about the same power I am, with almost 1000 lbs less weight. I know my car has a turbo, but the restrictor size is the same as my stock turbo... I guess if I could put a more efficient blower on it and make 150 more hp from where I am now the weights would make more sense, but I'm not sure that is possible with the stupid 40mm TIR.

I know we've talked at events before because I recognize your 911. I didn't see your car this weekend, were you driving something different?
Old 08-31-2016, 11:13 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

That's kinda the crappy rub with AX, especially in the higher classes. If you want to mingle with the best, you kind of have to go whole hog. I've never messed with a weighed class, so I can't comment on the formulas SCCA uses.

I drove a Mini Cooper last weekend, it's my new national event ride, frantically trying to get some seat time in. I plan on having the 911 back at TEA for the last event there this season.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:45 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

It's too bad they don't have your car on a line with the 964... I think your car with the little bump in power would be a really good STR car. My 89 911 was an autocross monster when it had a 964 3.6. The mini has to be a big transition from the 911. are you giving up on that experiment, or just taking a season off?
Old 08-31-2016, 12:01 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

I'm done but had a LOT of fun in the process.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Budget SCCA FP 944 turbo build with first run video