Notices

718 as an Autocross Tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 04:08 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 996 was a riot. Not fast, but fun to keep pointed in a straight line. I never felt the PSM re-activate when I shut it off.

SO I want a 987.1 or 718 with PASM and Sport Chrono set to Sport+, so the computers can make me faster without making me slower?
Old 06-21-2018, 08:12 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by cretinx
My 996 was a riot. Not fast, but fun to keep pointed in a straight line. I never felt the PSM re-activate when I shut it off.

SO I want a 987.1 or 718 with PASM and Sport Chrono set to Sport+, so the computers can make me faster without making me slower?
It can retard throttle even after you release the brakes.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:44 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Two 718 Caymans at Bristol.

At the Bristol Champ Tour Dave Lehman brought out his brand-new 2018 718 Cayman (non-S). He had good tires on it, but probably stock otherwise. He was several seconds off the A-Street pace both days.

I watched a couple of his runs. The car looked pretty good, but these were power/sweeper courses and it looked underpowered compared to the Corvettes. Also, it looked like he hadn't been able to walk the course the first day (I think he arrived very late the night before) and he DNF'ed the first two runs. So, I'd discount the first day altogether. 2nd day he had 3 clean runs and was 2.5s off trophy pace on a 51s course.

Lehman was a good driver two or three years ago, but has been mostly absent from auto-x for the last 3 years. He was probably very rusty, plus a new car. AFAIK, first time driving a mid-engined Porsche. He paxed 151st out of 254. To put that into perspective, I paxed 78th driving a FWD car is GS (GTI) and it was my very first time ever in a FWD car at autocross.

In SS long-time competitor Keith Marx, but who is not a top driver, was in a 2018 Cayman S. I know nothing about the car's setup. He was 2nd to a very poorly driven new Acura NSX and about 1s faster than Lehman on Day 2. His two-day time would have put him 8th in AS, just in front of Lehman. He paxed 132 out of 254. The CS was not driven particularly well but clearly had good acceleration. It looked good out there.

Not the best data points by any means, but I still think the S is an A-Street car and the non-S should be in B-street.

Last edited by edfishjr; 07-13-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:20 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I wouldn't put too much stock in Bristol results, I'd much rather see a known quantity behind the wheel before I dismiss an entire car.

Since I'm real lazy, how does the 718 base weight compare to the (competitive) 986.1S?

I know the 718 has optional PTV/lsd and a boatload more low end torque.

Looks like there's a 718 S & GTS registered in SS for Lincoln, and a 718 base and 981.1 base registered in AS. Know if any of those people can wheel?
Old 07-13-2018, 10:35 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by edfishjr
Two 718 Caymans at Bristol.

At the Bristol Champ Tour Dave Lehman brought out his brand-new 2018 718 Cayman (non-S). He had good tires on it, but probably stock otherwise. He was several seconds off the A-Street pace both days.

I watched a couple of his runs. The car looked pretty good, but these were power/sweeper courses and it looked underpowered compared to the Corvettes. Also, it looked like he hadn't been able to walk the course the first day (I think he arrived very late the night before) and he DNF'ed the first two runs. So, I'd discount the first day altogether. 2nd day he had 3 clean runs and was 2.5s off trophy pace on a 51s course.

Lehman was a good driver two or three years ago, but has been mostly absent from auto-x for the last 3 years. He was probably very rusty, plus a new car. AFAIK, first time driving a mid-engined Porsche. He paxed 151st out of 254. To put that into perspective, I paxed 78th driving a FWD car is GS (GTI) and it was my very first time ever in a FWD car at autocross.

In SS long-time competitor Keith Marx, but who is not a top driver, was in a 2018 Cayman S. I know nothing about the car's setup. He was 2nd to a very poorly driven new Acura NSX and about 1s faster than Lehman on Day 2. His two-day time would have put him 8th in AS, just in front of Lehman. He paxed 132 out of 254. The CS was not driven particularly well but clearly had good acceleration. It looked good out there.

Not the best data points by any means, but I still think the S is an A-Street car and the non-S should be in B-street.
Hmmm.... Keath was codriving Marc Portanova's 718S... might have to see if Marc will let me codrive with him at a local sometime. My gut says 718S is outmatched in SS and belongs in AS, though it's hard to say for sure that without more data.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:26 AM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by burglar

Looks like there's a 718 S & GTS registered in SS for Lincoln, and a 718 base and 981.1 base registered in AS. Know if any of those people can wheel?
Several are mid-pack Nationals types, but don't figure to trophy, or at least trophy high.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:26 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kit Gauthier is running a 2017 Cayman at this weekend's Packwood Tour. Kit's solid (he came in second in DS at 2016 Nats, beating burglar by a second and change, and me by close to two seconds). He finished the first day less than two hundredths out of the AS lead, behind Glen Hernandez (another solid driver), but they were both raw-timed by the BS leader.

http://sololive.scca.com/AS.php
Old 07-15-2018, 08:53 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
beating burglar by a second and change
:Flips table:

But yeah.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:23 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Wait time out. Kit won AS by a huge margin, and only barely went slower than Bullis in BS - a jacket winner who beat Heitkotter this weekend.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:02 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
beating burglar by a second and change
:Flips table:
We can always blame our underdog Minis.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:23 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

...and the top 2 in CS raw timed both AS and BS. A little strange. I'll try to contact Glen and get the story.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:43 PM
motoring
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it was stupid hot, and SS, BS, and CS ran first heat (low 80's) and AS ran fourth heat (upper 90's)

Heitkotter's car was having ABS issues, Bullis's car was not (otherwise identical C5 FRC)
Old 07-31-2018, 06:36 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 120 Posts

Quick update on my 718 in AS. First, the car is much more balanced without the large GT3 front bar I was running on the 981. I only have an alignment and RE71 255/285-19 wheels/tires. The 718 has enough power to steer with the throttle, and I feel breakaway is more predicable than on my 981. I haven't been doing as many events as I would have liked, but now that I'm getting comfortable with the car, I definitely think it's a contender on a national level. I know there have been a few people discussing this and rumor has it that Mark Daddio has driven one in NNJ and thinks it's a contender too.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:03 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chriswd62
I haven't been doing as many events as I would have liked, but now that I'm getting comfortable with the car, I definitely think it's a contender on a national level. I know there have been a few people discussing this and rumor has it that Mark Daddio has driven one in NNJ and thinks it's a contender too.
Neat! Did I see that Daddio was running SS this year? I've been out of the national tour loop this season.

Are you running in Lincoln?
Old 08-01-2018, 11:28 AM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 120 Posts

Neat! Did I see that Daddio was running SS this year? I've been out of the national tour loop this season.

Are you running in Lincoln?
Yes. It looks like he's co-driving with J.G Dixon (judging by the entrance list information and the fact that they are both NNJ area racers). I'm not attending Nationals. Maybe next year.

Yury Kholondyrev and William Petrow are both driving 718 Caymans, in an otherwise Spec Z06 Vette class.

Quick Reply: 718 as an Autocross Tool