Notices

718 as an Autocross Tool

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 10:34 AM
sholzer
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mport68
But according to fastrack it's still legal in SS for this season... So it will be interesting to see who invests that amount of coin for what could be one season and how it worked out for them. I know of at least one nationally competitive GT4 th at has already bought one.
I don’t believe that is the case. Those recommendations still have to be approved by the BOD and they shot it down.

From BOD member:
"... It was submitted by the SEB and we did not approve it. I'll give you some reasons, but someone will undoubtedly want to argue about it and I won't do that. The proposal was to allow a product by one manufacturer. We dont do that. The product doesnt cover all the cars in the class. Thats a problem. We dont propose modifications with a built in sunset. The $1100 figure is a ruse. How many retunes will be needed by the incredibly few people who know how to do this and at what expense? This is something that should be allowed in tuner classes before happening in Street. I may have missed a few..."
Old 01-22-2019, 06:20 PM
Mport68
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sholzer

I don’t believe that is the case. Those recommendations still have to be approved by the BOD and they shot it down.

From BOD member:
"... It was submitted by the SEB and we did not approve it. I'll give you some reasons, but someone will undoubtedly want to argue about it and I won't do that. The proposal was to allow a product by one manufacturer. We dont do that. The product doesnt cover all the cars in the class. Thats a problem. We dont propose modifications with a built in sunset. The $1100 figure is a ruse. How many retunes will be needed by the incredibly few people who know how to do this and at what expense? This is something that should be allowed in tuner classes before happening in Street. I may have missed a few..."

Got this today... seems that although you were correct, at the request of many members the BOD has reconsidered the topic and is now going to allow this language in this years rule book

#22772 #20102 Replacing Electronic Shocks

Per the SAC, add the following to Section 13 in the rulebook:

"13.5.A.8 Vehicles in Super Street originally equipped with an adaptive ride control system (MSRC, MRC, PASM, AMS, etc.) the calibration may be altered using an OEM provided re-flash or the entire controller may be replaced. The calibration or replacement controller may not perform any function not present in the OE controller. OEM Shock bodies and internals must remain unaltered. Additional sensors are not allowed. No modifications to the wiring harness is allowed.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:24 PM
sholzer
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mport68

Got this today... seems that although you were correct, at the request of many members the BOD has reconsidered the topic and is now going to allow this language in this years rule book

#22772 #20102 Replacing Electronic Shocks

Per the SAC, add the following to Section 13 in the rulebook:

"13.5.A.8 Vehicles in Super Street originally equipped with an adaptive ride control system (MSRC, MRC, PASM, AMS, etc.) the calibration may be altered using an OEM provided re-flash or the entire controller may be replaced. The calibration or replacement controller may not perform any function not present in the OE controller. OEM Shock bodies and internals must remain unaltered. Additional sensors are not allowed. No modifications to the wiring harness is allowed.
Yep, guess I gotta order a DSC controller now! (wanted one anyway, but didn’t order because I planned to run in SS)
Old 01-22-2019, 06:25 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Spineless walkback. The BOD had it right, open coding / open hardware has no place in Street.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:47 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by burglar
Spineless walkback. The BOD had it right, open coding / open hardware has no place in Street.
Ditto.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:19 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree, this has no place in Street. The SAC and SEB read a lot of these forums and know how we feel, but what really matters is letters. I wrote my letter, has everyone else?
Old 01-23-2019, 02:17 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

While I agree, do you think maybe one reason they did it is because it'd be hard to police? F1 had to go to a spec ECU to keep people from cheating... I imagine there is not enough manpower or the required equipment to check the ecu flashes on every car. Well, just throwing that out there.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:47 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spdracerut
While I agree, do you think maybe one reason they did it is because it'd be hard to police? F1 had to go to a spec ECU to keep people from cheating... I imagine there is not enough manpower or the required equipment to check the ecu flashes on every car. Well, just throwing that out there.
My stock response to that logic is:
"Law enforcement in the US currently solves about 60% of murder cases. Since we obviously can't effectively police it, we should just make murder legal."

Autocross is self-policing. There's no sanctioned technical inspection. Even at the highest level, competition cars sit in an impound for maybe 20 minutes with the hoods up, and fellow competitors can take a look. That's it. Only in extreme cases do we resort to the protest mechanism. This is grassroots, amateur motorsports. Since there's no six figure purses on the line, there's little incentive to cheat.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:03 AM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 121 Posts

The more I think about this the more frustrated I get. This was the BOD's one opportunity to reset Street class and eventually undo the mistake of allowing custom high-dollar aftermarket shocks in the first place. As more and more manufacturers are offering adaptive damping, the stock classes would have naturally phased out the need for aftermarket shocks. Now Pandora's box has been opened and there is no doubt that the top drivers will spend tons of time and money getting custom tunes to maximize performance for every type of course, driving style, setup, etc. I know it's probably too late, but I am going to write a letter anyway.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:24 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Letters go here:

https://www.crbscca.com/

As always, statement of opinion is fine, explanation of reasoning is better, support with data is best.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:28 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chriswd62
The more I think about this the more frustrated I get. This was the BOD's one opportunity to reset Street class and eventually undo the mistake of allowing custom high-dollar aftermarket shocks in the first place. As more and more manufacturers are offering adaptive damping, the stock classes would have naturally phased out the need for aftermarket shocks. Now Pandora's box has been opened and there is no doubt that the top drivers will spend tons of time and money getting custom tunes to maximize performance for every type of course, driving style, setup, etc. I know it's probably too late, but I am going to write a letter anyway.
+1 on everything but the letter.

I've written a lot of letters in the past year on various ambiguities and loopholes in the wording of the rules governing electronic controls of other components (stability control, engine management), and every single one has gotten "thank you for your input". It seems to me that the current SAC and SEB aren't particularly concerned about allowances for electronic control systems being lax.

By all means write a letter, but I've given up.

Edit: Oh, and I wrote a letter suggesting sunsetting the shock allowance too. Thank you for your input.

Last edited by PedalFaster; 01-23-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:34 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

My stock response to that logic is:
"Law enforcement in the US currently solves about 60% of murder cases. Since we obviously can't effectively police it, we should just make murder legal."

Autocross is self-policing. There's no sanctioned technical inspection. Even at the highest level, competition cars sit in an impound for maybe 20 minutes with the hoods up, and fellow competitors can take a look. That's it. Only in extreme cases do we resort to the protest mechanism. This is grassroots, amateur motorsports. Since there's no six figure purses on the line, there's little incentive to cheat.
Hmmm.... maybe an option would be to only impound the top-10 cars for thorough inspection. I will counter your last statement though about lack of purses leading to little incentive to cheat. There is a shocking level of amateur cyclists who dope, even in the senior 60+ class.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:45 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Thorough mass inspections aren't really feasible within the financial and time constraints of both the SCCA and the typical autocrosser.

Also, a philosophical question -- is it worth writing a rule that essentially mandates a $1k+ modification (shock tunes) in order to prevent the (hopefully vanishingly small) minority of people who would install those tunes anyway from gaining an advantage? I'm inclined to say no.

As an aside, how does an amateur with an amateur's resources (i.e. no access to blood transfusion equipment or EPO) cheat in cycling?
Old 01-24-2019, 03:07 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
Thorough mass inspections aren't really feasible within the financial and time constraints of both the SCCA and the typical autocrosser.

Also, a philosophical question -- is it worth writing a rule that essentially mandates a $1k+ modification (shock tunes) in order to prevent the (hopefully vanishingly small) minority of people who would install those tunes anyway from gaining an advantage? I'm inclined to say no.

As an aside, how does an amateur with an amateur's resources (i.e. no access to blood transfusion equipment or EPO) cheat in cycling?
Correct, mass inspections are not practical at all. And it just goes to show, this is not some easy topic with easy solutions for the BOD. I just auto-x for fun (I could never build a car to fit in a class), so this is just my outsider's point of view. It's just my guess that the BOD decided it was easier to just allow the mods instead of trying to police. My current fun car is a S2000 and looking to get into a 718. I always said there are two ways to make the S2k better: give it boost and make it mid-engine. Porsche answered my wishes with the 718.

Here's a link to amateur cyclists doping taken in the UK. 20% of amateur cyclists doped. The other interesting part is the number of non-competitive cyclists who doped.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...-doping-328512
Old 01-24-2019, 12:28 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Here's a link to amateur cyclists doping taken in the UK. 20% of amateur cyclists doped. The other interesting part is the number of non-competitive cyclists who doped.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...-doping-328512
Wow. I have a hard enough time understanding cheating in recreational competition with nothing at stake, but to actually take substances that adversely affect your health and cause you to act with "excessive aggression towards (your) wife" for a plastic trophy is next-level crazy.

Quick Reply: 718 as an Autocross Tool