Notices

Someone had to try this! 997TT build

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 02:06 PM
texlbs
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jason, I didn't realize you were on this board. Like your other stuff I'm sure these will be primo.

Originally Posted by modernbeat
I've got Paul's C2 in here this week. Looks like I'll use a design similar to the EVO-X or our E46 style where the caster is adjusted in steps using the countersunk flatheads and the camber is adjusted by the outer studs.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:46 AM
XPC5
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jason and the rest of the team at vorshlag have been great. They are working on control arm bushing replacements and the new plates, and also did a beautiful job welding up the coolant fittings.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:38 PM
Fair
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stan, that's the offset control arm bushing in your 997 turbo front control arms.

This is the 996 C2 we have in here this week, which we are using for prototype caster-camber plate development as well as Bilstein PSS10 install pictures.

The design uses similar features to some of our existing camber-caster plates. This picture was right from our CNC mill yesterday when Jason (our engineer) machined the first side.

That's the finished prototype 996/997 C2 camber-caster, assembled about an hour ago onto the PSS10 struts. We're waiting on a piece from Porsche then these will go in tomorrow morning. The 996/997 AWD version will be made as soon as Stan get's the Warthog in here...

Cheers,

Terry Fair @ Vorshlag
Old 02-04-2016, 05:40 PM
XPC5
Racer

Engine/drivetrain upgrades are wrapping up, so will get to add the new shiny parts to the suspension in a week or two. Can't wait to get it on the ground again and put the big wheels back on!
Old 02-07-2016, 01:45 PM
XPC5
Racer

Cooling system
Very nice job done by Vorshlag's crew welding and pressure testing the trouble prone cooling fittings. The torque solutions fitting kit did not have the long fitting under the PS pump, or the small one on the 90 degree casting, so we had to re-use the originals. I had one of the seven fittings already seeping and somewhat loose, but the rest were still solid on this car with 53k miles and about a year of previous track use.

Back at Cobb Tuning Plano
The motor is getting dressed again to prepare for reinstallation. New 3bar map sensor, ID1000 injectors, coils, plugs, coolant elbows under the heat exchangers (we just used new factory ones), and dozens of o-rings, hoses, and gaskets!

Odd thing found with the coils, based on this cars VIN, the PET, they have updated parts for 5 of the coils, but the passenger side front is still an original PN, because the new part does not clear the turbo actuator housing. Also the bolts for the new coils are completely differen (ext. torx). OCD owners beware!

Diff rebuild
Matt @ Guard set us up with a ramp and clutch package that should put more power down, without inducing too much understeer in the slow corners. When Cobb removed the old clutches, they felt extremely smooth and slick, with very little preload on them. The Guard clutches and spring washers will increase preload, and be much more durable. Keeping the OEM housing will help the build budget out nicely.

Last edited by XPC5; 02-07-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:29 AM
XPC5
Racer

A little Kline GT2 style love
It will not look this shiny again after it sees the heat of battle... 3" x-pipe design with high flow cats and titanium resonators. Not as light as their inconel exhausts, but it doesn't lighten the wallet as much either. I hope this is enough meet the 100dB sound limits.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:44 PM
XPC5
Racer

Last week saw a ton of progress!
Engine and trans are installed, front differential seals have been replaced and all fluids freshened. We got to start and listen to the Kline exhaust for the first time, and were surprised at how smooth and refined it was. I will hold judgement until we get the car rolling on the road and dyno, but it is not at all rowdy.

As for getting the car on the ground, we found some things with the first mockup of the suspension. This moton configuration has very little droop, so at what we expect for ride height, we are only using up 1.5" of 5-5.5" of available travel.

This meant my initial spring lengths chosen were 1-2" too short, and we did not have enough adjustment range to keep the tires off the fenders.

Some 2.25x5x750 front springs were found in my old stock, and 60mm 928 rears/w helpers will be used until new 2.25x7x1100 rears get delivered. The end result will sit something like this, but with more camber to help the tires tuck:

We also identified some places for improving the GT2 rear swaybar operation and geometry. Its feeling a little bound up right now, and the endlink angles for the softest setting is poor, so we are working on a solution for this.

Once these and a few other details are buttoned up, and the car will be sent to Vorshlag for camber plate design and installation.

We got a new neighbor @Cobb this weekend - 800mi fresh GT4 in for a LWFW, IPD plenum, and full exhaust - beautiful in that color.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:30 AM
XPC5
Racer

We were greeted by a beautiful sight at Cobb Plano this weekend, warthog was out front in the sunshine, looking eager to run.

Fired up the Accessport and saw this cool surprise. OTS stage 3 map loaded right now, it will get its first dyno tune later in the week before our first event.

Next was a quick alignment to make sure the 1 mile drive to Vorshlag was safe!

There is still a lot to do to fine tune the suspension setup, but it was a chance to give it a quick detail bath, apply some numbers, then drive it over to the SCCA annual tech session at Vorshlag.

The Aasco flywheel, Sachs 764 pressure plate and Sachs Race sprung disk spec'd by Sam@byDesign works very smoothly with the stock hydrualics. No chatter at all, and easy modulation. The Kline GT2 exhaust now has some nice volume when under load too.

Durametric challenges
We were able to disable the TPMS system pretty easily, but the PASM disable is fighting us. Hope we get it figured out or it will have to be done at the dealer with PIWIS.

Next up
Camber plate fabrication @ Vorshlag
New rear springs and top mounts
Rear sway bar mount modification
Light weight battery installation
RSS Harness/Roll bar installation
Race seat installation
Race steering wheel installation
Old 03-02-2016, 08:36 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Looking good, did COBB throw in a free wax?

How does the 997.1 awd work? Is it electronic or mechanical?

Aero plans?

Looks like you'll be about 2" narrower than a z06, give or take, so should be a slalom monster. Plus that big power down advantage. Really, really excited to see how she runs. Is there a timetable for the first national event? I'm not going to have to wait until the Mineral Wells pro, am I?
Old 03-02-2016, 09:55 AM
XPC5
Racer

Originally Posted by burglar
Looking good, did COBB throw in a free wax?

How does the 997.1 awd work? Is it electronic or mechanical?

Aero plans?

Looks like you'll be about 2" narrower than a z06, give or take, so should be a slalom monster. Plus that big power down advantage. Really, really excited to see how she runs. Is there a timetable for the first national event? I'm not going to have to wait until the Mineral Wells pro, am I?
Meguiars quick detail and some good shop lighting made it work. The 997.1 AWD is electronic, a computer controlled clutch engages the front wheels. The trick will be learning the parameters that trigger this. Aero is not on the table yet, the rear spoiler area is pretty awkwardly shaped for a flat spoiler. It will weigh 3300, so there is plenty of downforce already!

Wheelbase is 10" shorter than a Z06 Mineral wells for sure, if the early events and setup goes well we will try for something earlier, maybe west coast at Crows. El Toro is too early I think. SSP actually made its class in the west coast events, vs the midwest ones.

Vorshlag is making quick progress on the camber plates
Old 03-02-2016, 08:14 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Bring it to Dixie Tour. I'll codrive to help you shake it down (:
Old 03-03-2016, 10:32 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Bring it to Dixie Tour. I'll codrive to help you shake it down (:
Bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it plays out...
Old 03-03-2016, 02:35 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice setup and clearly lots of money getting spent. How in the world do those front wheels & tires not destroy your front fenders under load?
Old 03-03-2016, 03:26 PM
XPC5
Racer

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
Very nice setup and clearly lots of money getting spent. How in the world do those front wheels & tires not destroy your front fenders under load?
When we get the new camber plates installed, the top of the tires will stick out much less, just about 1/4" to 3/8". I need to keep about 1/2 to 3/4" static clearance so that it does not hit under braking or straightline bumps. While cornering, the clearance actually opens up as you are on a different point of the tire and fender radius. I will get some photos of the clearance at different steering angles soon to show what I mean.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:35 PM
XPC5
Racer

First event this weekend
We are finally recovering from the rush of work to wrap up the final build steps and get warthog to the North Teaxas Autocross series event this weekend.

Vorshlag camber plate prototypes
These were conpleted and installed this week, they lowered the strut shaft into the tower, and increased the range of adjustment. With a separate bearing in the upper spring perch, this weoks very smoothly, and is a key component for big tire fitment. Also, combined with the offset lower arm bushing, we were able to get nearly 4 degrees of negative camber without causing any driveshaft issues.

Final build out and Tuning @ Cobb Plano
The Cobb Plano team then put in marathon sessions on Friday and Saturday to get us ready for the Sunday event. I still don't know how we got everything done, it was after midnight Saturday when the car finally got on the trailer!

The work list was a big one:

RSS roll bar install - This proved to be the toughest job by far, as it had to be coaxed into fitting with ratchet straps and other tricks, after major interior disassembly.

Race seat, OMP wheel, and harness install - The seats we transferred from the cayman

Lightweight battery upgrade - The PC680 (15lbs) we tried did not have enough reserve capacity for the electrical load, so we switched to the PC925 (25lb) in a Rennline mount.

335/30/18 rear tires - since the CCW parts for fitting the 345's were delayed, we got these in (in one day!) thanks to Discount Tire. They are just as wide, but about 1" less diameter, which helps gearing.

Full dyno tune for pump (93) - Dyno chart to come soon, currently at 513/600 in sport mode. We will get familiar with this power level before tuning with more aggressive fuels.

Disabling PASM with Durametric Pro - it cane be done, no PIWIS needed

Rear spring install - we went with 1000# rears to go with the 750# fronts. The new 7" spring length is much better for the range of adjustment needed.

Ride height and corner weight setting - we got within 0.5% perfect (50%) cross weights with driver. We were able to reduce the weight by about 100lbs, but still need to remove the Radio, Nav, CD changer etc. Ride height set for the first event was 106/130, a safe margin for tire clearance.

Full alignment - this was done again after corner weighting.

It all WORKS!
I knew it was a good sign when Su came back smiling after taking the car down some side to bed the pads scuff tires. The event was split into 4 morning and 4 afternoon runs for each driver. We spent the morning runs learning the handling balance and feeling out the power and traction.
The car ran perfectly! Power was very strong and smooth, it was amazing to always have more power available at any point in the run. Oil and water temps were normal, and we just did light sprays of the intercoolers between runs.

The handling was completely neutral, with very progressive under or oversteer as you pushed in those directions. Slalom performance in the fast (40-50mph) slalom was terrific, very sharp and stable under all inputs. Also the car put down the power beautifully, just slight rear wheelspin at the torque/boost peaks, very easy to control.
Hats off to Chris and his suspension setup, I have NEVER had a car with a fresh suspension work this well out of the box, Su and I were both stunned and thrilled. Normally I would thrash and adjust shocks and swaybars, but it was all working so well, we just made small tire pressure adjustments to see how the car responded.

The Big News - the car does NOT feel like an all wheel drive car, and does NOT feel like a rear engine car. It just does everything better than expected.

My best morning run was smooth and uneventful, the car was very easy to drive at 90+% and the surface was warm with good grip.

My best afternoon run while feeling out the limits of grip under power. Then the surface got dusty and slippery in the afternoon as the wind picked up, so a bit more oversteer.

There is an SCCA event at the same site this coming weekend, we can't wait to get back for more seat time

Quick Reply: Someone had to try this! 997TT build