Notices

autocross your porsche, or other vehicle instead?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 11:16 AM
nethole
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default autocross your porsche, or other vehicle instead?

I'm curious who has a porsche, yet autocrosses another vehicle (and if so why?)

I'm pondering the whole idea , and thinking of autocrossing a less expensive to buy/maintain vehicle may make more financial sense. But, I'm curious for other's thoughts on this
Old 10-01-2015, 11:43 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Depends on what you're looking for out of the sport.

If you're looking to compete on a high level, most Porsche owners on this board that drive other cars do so for competitive reasons. If you're looking to win, makes sense to use the best tool for the job - regardless of manufacturer. Unfortunately, only a select few Porsches are considered "the car to have" in any given class. When things come down to 0.001 seconds, tippy top of the mountain folk can't leave anything on the table.

If you're looking primarily to enjoy your sports car, Porsches are a lot of fun and excellent driving experiences. Most are also quite competitive on a regional / local level where there's more variance in driver ability.

I'm kind of in-between. I drive my 911 because it's the car I want to drive. I've done FF, FR, and AWD for years and enjoy the new & unique experience of RR. However, I'm also trying to slowly make it (and myself) more nationally competitive as well. For me the joy is in doing something nobody else is, the learning process, and actual progress.

As for the cost issue - not really a big deal. Wear is low in AX save for tires.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:08 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Hi
I drive my Porsche not because it's the car to have, but because it's fun. Take your car out and learn to drive it better. This is my second year doing this. I didn't make any upgrades to my car till this year. I only did a front sway bar and better tires. My driving is getting better all the time but I'm having a great time. I will hit a cone from time to time and it will leave a mark but that comes off when I wax. Go have fun with your car it will still be cheaper than buying something just SoloII even with tire wear. Just buy a second set of wheels if you want for your Autocross tires. At first I would do a few races with your stock setup.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I've been autocrossing my 964 since 1999, first in AS, then BS and now in CS. I do it because it's fun, not because the car is competitively classed.
My best regional annual result was 3rd. place in AS in 2001.

Last edited by Earlydays; 10-21-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:11 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Three sets of $1200 tires per year between my codriver and I have me wishing my 987.2S wasn't so much damned fun to drive. Kinda makes me nostalgic for the two sets of $800 tires I was going through each year on my 986S. My car is classed very uncompetitively in SS, but this is a sport that's more about the driver than the car and I'm still winning events in it despite the handicap. It's my daily driver and I have no desire to autocross anything else.

18" tires are expensive!

Last edited by sjfehr; 10-01-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:13 AM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I daily drive this because its fun and street legal.

I autocross this because it is far more fun and challenging for autocross.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:44 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I drive the 996, but for Nationals I just fly out and drive some random STR car. Taking anything other than a SS or SSR 997.2 GT3 to nationals is a waste of time, but for everything else (Even pro solo or tour events) the 996 can "keep up" with the competition. It is a blast; people love hearing it and always compliment the car at events. Unfortunately, the tire budget is very brutal. Just go look at the price of a 315 width 18" diameter BFG Rival-S. I think it's like $350 per tire now?
Old 10-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Cheap tires are a benefit of still running 16" wheels on my 1990 964C2.....
Old 10-02-2015, 01:09 PM
majormojo
Advanced

As others have said, tires are probably the only real downside to autocrossing your Porsche. I don't think the wear and tear is much of an issue, although this year and last year I've had to replace some of the plastic bits under the car due to damage from cones. (2 x front fender liners, rear fender trim). I know, I know, stop hitting cones!

I did not buy my 987.2S with the intent to autox it, but because it was the car I wanted to drive. After I got rid of my CSP Miata, I started to run the Cayman in SS because it's what I have and I like the convenience of arrive and drive after doing the towing thing for a few years in SP. I'm competitive-ish locally and regionally.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:42 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kjchristopher
I daily drive this because its fun and street legal.

I autocross this because it is far more fun and challenging for autocross.
Showoff.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:21 PM
msterling
Advanced

My Porsche is my only sporty car so that's the one I autocross. I've thought about getting a cheaper car to be more competitive in a specific class but I am having fun as it is. I autocross on 15" tires so they are not so expensive ($143.20 for 225/45-15 BFG Rival S).
Old 10-06-2015, 09:57 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Chasing competition I've owned all kinds of cars. I now haven't owned a Porsche in awhile but I always own something that is that kind of fun to drive. So I autox a 2015 Mustang GT currently in FS, probably STP next.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:27 PM
tokika
Instructor

I bought my last sports car to be competitive in SCCA autocross. An RX8. When the whole street tire thing changed I decided to buy a car I wanted and stop giving two ****s about the SCCA.

Now I have FUN autocrossing my '03 996 with the PCA. More runs, longer courses, better venues and not so SRS BZNS.

Works for me, YMMV.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:21 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Never thought of another car. Other occasionally co driving with wifey in the C2S It has always been Kermit as my autocross car. 35+ events a year since 2007. Brake pads and fluid changes. Oh, 5 sets of Ho Hos this year. I run them for 5-6 events and give them to wifey.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:13 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a 993 that has an aftermarket suspension (MO33 Springs and HD Bilsteins) which I installed since I was looking for a lower ride height and the original suspension was in dire need of replacement. It also has some other handling related mods but nothing drastic.

A couple of years later I decided to go autocrossing and came to the conclusion it would be best to use something other than the 993. For my situation abusing / potentially harming the 993 was not an option, the pristine 60k mile Miata NB cost the same as the original RUF wheels shod with Potenzas that I had purchased for the 993 2 months prior to buying the Miata.

My sons also wanted to participate so we dropped another $2500 into new Flyin Miata full suspension with coilover and sways, larger Koenig forged wheels with Dunlop Direzzas and a Hard Dog HD roll bar. All in for under $9k.

I cackle like a hyena when they spin out / over-rev / etc and our conversations afterward are always fun and civil. If the 993 were involved that would not be the case lol, my situation, YMMV.

My hat is off to those guys who track these cars but for me it took decades to get to the position to purchase one, to whack it on the track would be devastating. Don't get me wrong, I hope to be tracking a P-Car in the future but for now it is not in the cards. For me at least, driving a slow car fast has proven to be more fun..........

Quick Reply: autocross your porsche, or other vehicle instead?