Notices

Porsche exclusive options documentation

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 10:44 AM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
I mean, do they actually fit? Has anyone tried mounting them on an NB?
Absolutely. I had 9.5 front 11 rears on a nb.

The stock 996 GT3 is a narrow body and runs 8.5/11

I've found that I'm more than competitive with the Corvettes locally on 8/10 - against Mark Daddio . . . well, I don't think it would matter what I was driving.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:36 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
The boxster has no window sticker that I could find, but allegedly had those wheels ordered with it (at $107k sticker!)
Here's the Boxster window sticker showing that wheel option. It was a Carlsen Porsche back in 2011 - I couldn't believe it had more $ in options than the actual car.
Attached Images    
Old 06-19-2015, 10:27 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
Here's the Boxster window sticker showing that wheel option. It was a Carlsen Porsche back in 2011 - I couldn't believe it had more $ in options than the actual car.
What would that surprise you? It's obvious Porsche can build any car in the Boxster/Cayman/911 lineup for about what it costs to build a Boxster. Everything else is just profit margin.

Think about it. What's the real-world cost difference to build a Boxster vs a Cayman? Or one with a slightly larger displacement version of the same motor? Or a 911? Or a 911S? Or a C4S with an aero kit and a couple of turbos? Or a Tiguan vs Cayenne? They do it because they can charge it and people will pay it. And they're making the most insane profit margins of any auto maker in the world because of it.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:42 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Here's an '06 Boxster S on XRRs for $20k.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=398555094

Old 06-21-2015, 01:37 AM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
What's the real-world cost difference to build a Boxster vs a Cayman? Or one with a slightly larger displacement version of the same motor? Or a 911? Or a 911S?
The multi-link suspension in the rear of the rear-engined cars is definitely more expensive to produce than the strut type in mid-engined cars.

I agree with you on Boxster vs. Cayman. I'd think Caymans are cheaper to build. The soft-top mechanism is a very expensive collection of parts. The "value" of the Caymans is increased by the essentially free (to Porsche) 10 hp bump and other similar mods that make it "worth" the price to a certain segment of the market.

That's good engineering and smart business, when people will pay more for stuff that doesn't cost much more to build. If anybody could do it, well, then they'd have profit margins like Porsche. The fact that so few organizations can do it shows how hard it is.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:05 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by edfishjr
The multi-link suspension in the rear of the rear-engined cars is definitely more expensive to produce than the strut type in mid-engined cars.

I agree with you on Boxster vs. Cayman. I'd think Caymans are cheaper to build. The soft-top mechanism is a very expensive collection of parts. The "value" of the Caymans is increased by the essentially free (to Porsche) 10 hp bump and other similar mods that make it "worth" the price to a certain segment of the market.

That's good engineering and smart business, when people will pay more for stuff that doesn't cost much more to build. If anybody could do it, well, then they'd have profit margins like Porsche. The fact that so few organizations can do it shows how hard it is.
De Beers
Old 12-23-2015, 10:55 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm still hating this "exclusive options are legal...not really" ordeal.

-8.5J & 11J x 18" m416 wheels --> Can't show they weren't for GT3 only
-x74 springs --> It's in the tequipment catalog (and NLA to boot)
- XSE/XSF/XSN euro GT3 seats & rear seat delete --> can prove it is available in a regular 996 NA, just not in an American 996 NA
-sunroof delete --> not gonna happen $$

So I guess it's back to turning $$ into gas and tires.

Quick Reply: Porsche exclusive options documentation