Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go ahead, roast me, boys.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:47 AM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Who is WCMC? I want to make sure to never attend one of their events. I've seen this a couple of times, where there are back to back portions of the course, on-coming cornering cars, separated only by a wall of cones. In fact, I saw it only 2 weeks ago at the SEDIV event in Birmingham, approved by the SE Divisional Safety Steward, until I said no way, you can't do that. Change it or I'm leaving. They were pissed at me, but finally they changed it. I felt sorry for the workers, who were already at their stations, who had to stand out there in the heat while they argued over what to do.

These fools who think they can control such things by timing the start will get somebody seriously hurt or killed someday. The starter cannot control the timing of anything once he says "Go!".

I thought your driving was fine!
Old 07-17-2015, 12:48 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Windy City Miata Club.

Yeah, that row of cones was a little unnerving. We had a few close calls that necessitated a full-course caution. No car-on-car collisions at this club (yet), but a few people have written their cars off in the past, mostly due to overdriving (the latest incident involved a friend who allowed another club member to drive his car).

It's $30, and you are basically guaranteed 12+ runs in one day. It's a bargain for someone who isn't aiming for Nationals. Some SCCA guys refer to this club as "the kiddie pool", which is fine by me, lol. I've gotten as many as 25 runs in one day.

I'm still getting used to the handling dynamics of the 911. To that end, the PO put some Sumitomo HTR-ZIIIs on the car, which suffice it to say, are pretty terrible. However, I've always been a firm believer in learning how a car behaves on ****ty rubber. Wheels and tires I will have next year, but for now, I'll be happy if I can place in the top 25%.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:45 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I took ya'lls advice and dropped down the tire pressure. Much to my amazement, rollover wasn't any worse at 30/35 than it had been at 36/42. The response was worse, but the grip was way better and the car was definitely faster. I maybe could have dropped the rear a bit, but I didn't want to experiment too much.

Long story short, last event some corvette guys had gotten Bridgestones and pulled out ahead of me by around a second. Today I closed that gap and won A Street, still on 2+ year old Michelins.

Also, if you watch closely, I demonstrate my on-the-fly PSM deactivation skills. I don't think I've forgotten to turn it off at the start before!
Old 07-19-2015, 11:26 PM
kpl
Racer

Old 07-20-2015, 12:49 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

I took ya'lls advice and dropped down the tire pressure. Much to my amazement, rollover wasn't any worse at 30/35 than it had been at 36/42. The response was worse, but the grip was way better and the car was definitely faster. I maybe could have dropped the rear a bit, but I didn't want to experiment too much.

Long story short, last event some corvette guys had gotten Bridgestones and pulled out ahead of me by around a second. Today I closed that gap and won A Street, still on 2+ year old Michelins.

Also, if you watch closely, I demonstrate my on-the-fly PSM deactivation skills. I don't think I've forgotten to turn it off at the start before![/QUOTE]

I do that often in the 911, lol. The TCS never worked on my last car, so I always forget to turn it off.

Nice run! I dropped my pressures down to 34F/32R last time and noticed I had a lot more grip too.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:29 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a fast short track and not the norm for us. The *** will just not plant itself in a fast sweeper but it was fun. Min 30 seconds was the time but I ran 38.238
Old 08-10-2015, 01:48 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

This was my best run from Day 1 of the 2015 Virginia Autocross Championship/Commonwealth Games, hosted by Blue Ridge Region SCCA at Danville Airport. I didn't drive nearly as well day 2, but I did get to (briefly) meet NoCones. I held FTD/FTP for two heats Saturday with this run, and ended up 3rd overall index for the day and ultimately 3rd overall index for the weekend, as well as claiming my 2nd state championship for super street.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:38 PM
rocket71
Intermediate

Nice run. Congrats on the victory.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:36 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Another local autocross at ACU-4. The site usually heavily favors R-comps, but I managed to hold top index until the last few runs of two cars of the last heat (CSP & DSP), and finished just a half out of first place overall. Oh, for an accurate concrete index!

2010 Boxster S:
Old 08-17-2015, 08:47 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

It gets so hot in FL that we do night events in August. It was not much easier to see in person than in the video.

First event on "real" tires since 2013. Grip was awesome but the turn-in improved more than the rear. I had trouble powering out of both slaloms and slid off-line.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:45 PM
majormojo
Advanced

This is from 08-Aug. Sorry about the bad light at the beginning, but this was an evening event. Wasn't quite so blinding in the car, but still pretty bad. This was my best run - 2/10 off FTD (got beat by an SM GT-R) for 2nd RAW and 1st PAX. It's always surprising to me how unsmooth the "little" corrections seem in video compared to realtime.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:46 AM
T0lly
5th Gear

One of my runs at my regional PCA autocross on Aug 9, 2015.

Quick Reply: 2015 Auto-X Video Thread