Notices

What brake pads do you use for autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 11:48 AM
911TTCAB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What brake pads do you use for autocross?

I have a dual purpose dedicated track(DE)/autocross 996 and I am doing a brake overhaul this week. I am using Pagid Yellow RS19s for overall car balance on the track and longevity since I am new to the track.

I have stock 996 calipers and new Girodiscs which are larger than stock.

Maybe use a little more bite for those tight 180 turns? Maybe swap to a RS29 in the front for autocross?
Old 01-31-2015, 12:40 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are differing schools of thought, but personally I prefer a stock or stock-ish pad. There are no braking zones where you have to shed 50 mph in autocross; I'd rather take a tiny bit longer to slow down than to inadvertently scrub off 2 mph too much because I'm using a super grippy pad.

Last edited by PedalFaster; 01-31-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:06 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Agreed, stock pads. Hard, if not impossible, to build up enough heat in track pads to make them work right anyway.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:54 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Ferodo DS2500s have good "cold" bite for a track/street pad but I'm in Florida. I think the pedal feel is better than a stock pad. I hear good things about all the Pagids though. If anything, go for more bite in the rear pads. Really heavy braking in autocross always overwhelms the tiny front tires, which have no weight over them anyways in a 911.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:12 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

+1 on stock pads for auto-x.

If you are swapping pads in and out with the same disc, you need to be concerned about compatibility of the compounds. If they are not compatible, you can get some very bad vibrations when they get hot at the track.

In my experience, the OEM Textar pads are fine with swapping to Pagid RS-14 Blacks for track use. I've swapped back and forth multiple times with no vibration problems. I am guessing that the rest of the Pagid line would do similarly well, but don't know that for sure.

The RS-14's are unusual in that they have a high coefficient of friction when cold, and still have the highest heat range of any of the Pagid compounds. I have autocrossed on them many times and they are very good at cold to warm temperatures, as well as taking the serious heat from coming down into 10A at Road Atlanta. The only negatives for street/auto-x use is that they squeal like a pig,create a dust storm, and are quite expensive compared to the OEM's.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:03 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Porsche brakes are good enough that even OEM brake pads can out-brake r-compound racing tires and resist fade for quite a while. There's little benefit to using a track pad for autocross, and you don't want to use a track pad for the street (they can squeak, and often take a lot of heat to work).

But I'd still swap in a more fade resistant track pad for DEs. I'd do your brake fluid with a good high performance fluid like ATE Gold, too. You can get away with street pad/fluid on a Porsche for DE at a lot of tracks if you have enough pad material left (tech may require >50%) and the street fluid is relatively fresh, just be aware what fade feels like and cruise back to paddock if you feel it coming on.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:10 AM
Joe Ricard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is going to take some research with pad specs to choose the right pad. I would assume 911 brakes will mot get very hot at an AX. So the highest cold friction coefficient will be key.

My M3 has a Pagid black (Can't recall the model number) pad that makes one hell of a mess but provides hand of god stopping from dead cold. Much shorter stopping distance then what the 911 can currently do.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:30 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i changed to Hawk HPS pads mid season. I like the bite when cold plus good on the street with low dusting.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:33 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Personal preference - I like a pad with less bite for AX. Partially because my braking is somewhat digital.

The less bite I feel gives me a wider pressure window between light braking - ABS activation (or lockup for the non-ABS car.) Once ABS activates I feel it takes way too long to recover - some people call it "ice mode."

For an OTD give me the meanest, gnarliest, highest temp pad that gives a rock hard pedal though.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:45 PM
majormojo
Advanced

Chiming in late / reviving an older thread...

I recently installed a set of Hawk HPS and so far I think they are a decent compromise. I did not like the OE Textar pads for autox, but it may be just that they were getting worn, prob about 3/4 used up. They did not have the initial bite that I like. I'm less digital than burglar, I tend to make fine adjustment over a narrow range of movement. I like a "touchy" brake feel.

I ran a set of Pagid Orange for DE/autox and liked the feel of them and especially the fade resistance on track days. I know that autox isn't enough to really get them up to temp, but even cold they had better bite than stock and I enjoyed the feel. The downside of course is the dust and the NOISE on the street.

I don't mind swapping them out, but since my Textars were getting close to done and I was placing an order with Hawk anyway, I thought I'd try the HPS. After a good bedding in, I'm pretty happy with them. Not quite the grab of the Pagid, but I'd say about 80% and a definite improvement over stock. Dust seems low and they are quiet, so it seems like a good compromise and one less little job to do each weekend.

I'll probably still swap to the Pagids for track days, but those are much less frequent for me than autox. I have not tried mixing compounds F/R, that might be something else to try, maybe HP+ or Hawk Blues in the rear?
Old 07-08-2015, 10:43 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Funny you brought this up - I decided to try HP+ on my car this season, primarily to try and force me to learn to brake better.

Unfortunately between those, freeing up my stuck front swaybar, and the insane longitudinal grip of the RE-71R, I have no idea what improved my braking so much. The car hauls down very well now, and I'm actually locking the fronts much less often despite the grippier pad.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:29 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Fyi, Hawk has two new brake pads this year to update their ancient compound design HPS and HP Plus pads. HP Street 5.0 and HP Street Race. We are running Street 5.0 and are happy.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:40 AM
mopar bob
Pro

Mojo I would like to hear if you run HPS front and HP+ rear. Or If someone runs Street 5.0 front ans street race back. How would this change the balance of the car?

Quick Reply: What brake pads do you use for autocross?