Notices

Proposed PCA PCR AX tire changes

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 04:10 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Hagger
Still: I am a big fan of the TW changes even though the tire I want is not yet available in the size I need. I do expect the tire to become available soon, and I believe the proposal will enable people with daily driver Porsches to have a fair chance at Parade even if they don't live within a few hours of the hosting venue.
That's key, and many seem to overlook the fact that the rules are written for Parade.

Any region is free to use or not use them as they see fit. I have been to 6 Parades since 2002, and only Keystone was less than 1,000 miles. I am actually looking forward to getting some non-R tires for my 964 and will be glad to not have to see at my next Parade locals or those that trailer show up in my class on fresh Hoosiers.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:23 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Why is PCA using 180 vice 200 like everyone else does? For that matter, I really wish they'd allow other-than-OEM sizes to stay consistent with SCCA rules and permit a wider selection of tires be used. Not that my PCA chapter ever autocrosses, but just seems to make sense for people that autocross with both clubs.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Paul Hagger
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At Parade tire width/aspect ratio are free in "Production". And I believe we are talking about the Production classes. Production is the class closest to the SCCA "stock" rules.

If you're talking about PCA "Showroom Stock" classes then you will have no chance running in SCCA Stock classes (when national caliber drivers are present), regardless of tires.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:23 AM
sbmackie
Advanced

Two things: Production is closest to Street Touring SCCA, I think. I can swing between a very competitive production car in PCA, and go to a sorta competitive car in Street Prepared.

Anyway, got this from Chris Han and Kumho regarding sizes for next year in the XS:

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your interest in Kumho Tire for your motorsports activities. We are actually going to be discontinuing the XS product line and introducing a new tire line in the beginning of 2015. We have upgraded the tread wear rating to 200 and have improved the performance on the XS and developed a new product. The 225/45R15 is a size that we will be carrying, but have not yet decided in which phase of multiple launches set for next year we will be releasing this. Please go ahead and keep an eye out for this. Also, please feel free to reach out to me at the beginning of next year and I should have a clearer idea as to when the size you are looking for will be available.

Best Regards,

I replied I hoped they'd make 205 and 225 widths as well. Nice to see a major manufacturer actually respond to an input from the masses.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:03 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

The new Toyo R1R is supposed to be 200TW as well; same mold as the existing R1R and no real info on what's changed in the tread compound, but it's been out a while so there's likely some change to it.

BFGoodrich Rival is anticipated to see some changes in 2015, too. Should be a very good crop of 180+/200+ TW tires to choose from.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:33 PM
sbmackie
Advanced

Default 15's

Assuming they are willing to make 205, 225, and 245 width in 15's, that will be true...oh, the joys of having and older car and trying to keep it competitive.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:43 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sbmackie
Assuming they are willing to make 205, 225, and 245 width in 15's, that will be true...oh, the joys of having and older car and trying to keep it competitive.
You beat me enough times, I think you do pretty well at that...

Yeah I can remember when 16" wheels were the go fast thing, or so we thought.

Now I am worried about my 18" wheels becoming obsolete and not finding good rubber choices as the manufacturers all move on the 19"+ wheel sizes.

Time keeps marching on.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:24 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Originally Posted by sbmackie
Two things: Production is closest to Street Touring SCCA, I think. I can swing between a very competitive production car in PCA, and go to a sorta competitive car in Street Prepared.

Anyway, got this from Chris Han and Kumho regarding sizes for next year in the XS:

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your interest in Kumho Tire for your motorsports activities. We are actually going to be discontinuing the XS product line and introducing a new tire line in the beginning of 2015. We have upgraded the tread wear rating to 200 and have improved the performance on the XS and developed a new product. The 225/45R15 is a size that we will be carrying, but have not yet decided in which phase of multiple launches set for next year we will be releasing this. Please go ahead and keep an eye out for this. Also, please feel free to reach out to me at the beginning of next year and I should have a clearer idea as to when the size you are looking for will be available.

Best Regards,

I replied I hoped they'd make 205 and 225 widths as well. Nice to see a major manufacturer actually respond to an input from the masses.
Assuming he's talking about the V720, they've been out in Korea for the better part of a year now. Testing so far suggests they're not as fast as the other hot autocross tires, but there are a lot of variables involved and I'm sure we'll see a lot more testing when they're released in the US. Kumho XS was the top tire for a while, but only under certain conditions, and there may be some dependencies with the V720, too.

Last edited by sjfehr; 11-29-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:20 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys, several of my friends have invited me to join PCA San Diego and go auto crossing with them. Is there a website where I can find rules and guidelines?

You also have me concerned about my Hankook Ventus R compound tires. I have never autocrossed. The last thing I want to do is buy a set of tires just to try autocross. My car is an '88 911cab that is far from stock.....very far. The "delete" list is as long as the list of R-RS bits.

Is there an open class or beginner class for non-stock newbies? Heck, I am less than 60 days from having 930 brakes. Will be a blast to drive even if my car puts me in a class of top drivers.

What are your thoughts?
Old 11-29-2014, 02:49 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Class your car correctly. You are going to be slow the first time out to the rest if your class. Last year was my first and the first race, I was very slow. The next race I picked up time but over drove and pushed every where. After two driving schools and 6 races the car stopped pushing so hard. I may have learned something, but I still get lost in the sea of cones. I'm not looking far enough down track. The one thing that I learned in a big way was DAM! this is a lot of FUN. Go have some fun.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by mopar bob
Class your car correctly. You are going to be slow the first time out to the rest if your class. Last year was my first and the first race, I was very slow. The next race I picked up time but over drove and pushed every where. After two driving schools and 6 races the car stopped pushing so hard. I may have learned something, but I still get lost in the sea of cones. I'm not looking far enough down track. The one thing that I learned in a big way was DAM! this is a lot of FUN. Go have some fun.
My big concern is navigating cones too. The videos I've watched just seem to make no sense. I have no doubt I can drive the car....I can drive the car blindfolded. ...and pushing , never got into a situation that a little more throttle couldn't correct.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:15 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Understeer is something I didn't have on mountain roads. Autocross is very tight and very fast so it's easy to over drive. I think that this is harder than doing a track day or mountain road. Oh the cones will jump out in front of you Ok only one for me this year most were hit with the side of the car. As for getting lost I found most of the ways to do that this year. I even started the first race on the wrong side of the starter cone. I guess I should open my eyes and look down the track. Even with me lost at half the races it was great fun and with more seat time I might get good. I say go get lost hit a few cones it's great fun.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:29 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Autocross gets easier with practice, a LOT easier with practice. The single biggest thing you can do to get faster is to look ahead. Unfortunately, it's easier said than done! But once you've got the conditioned response to looking ahead, everything just slows waaay down and you have considerably more time to think.

The cones make way more sense once you learn how to interpret them, and you'll have a chance to walk the course before you drive it: take advantage of this! Arrive early and walk the course at least 3 times (ask a more experienced autocrosser for help). If you miss a gate or something, don't worry about it- you're there to have fun so just enjoy yourself no matter what the time slip says
Old 11-30-2014, 01:15 AM
sbmackie
Advanced

Default Autocross in Zone 8

Hello,:
The San Diego region is in PCA Zone 8. Here is there web sitehttp://pcasdr.net/2013/

Mouse around and you'll find the autocross section with a link to their classification scheme, a points based system which is very very different then the PCA Parade Competition Rules system. In my opnion (not worth much) it more precisely defines a cars performance potential with modifications and therefore more accurately classifies a car then the PCR's (Parade Competition Rules).

You'll have to check with the region autocross chair to find out if they have a noob class.

Good luck and welcome.
SBM
Old 11-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Thanks guys. I did some looking online and found that the SCCA does autocross 10 minutes from my house. They use the California Speedway in Fontana. Next time is February 6, I think.

Still think San Diego with friends is the better place to start. Thank you for the link.

Quick Reply: Proposed PCA PCR AX tire changes