Notices

Warming up car in near freezing temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:20 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warming up car in near freezing temperatures

Quick question-I will be attending my second autocross this weekend which will be held at a three-eighth mile oval track. The cars have to be moved to the infield area where they sit for prolonged periods for inspection and course setup, and then walking the course. The cars are then divided into two groups, each of which get 4 runs and then on to the second group of cars.

By the time I get a chance to run the course the engine will definitely be cold. I know we are supposed to start the engine and start driving at moderate RPM's until the engine reaches proper operating temperature before revving the engine. This scenario can't be done as there is no way to leave the infield after entering the race site. Would I be better off letting the car idle for awhile before starting my runs (apparently not good for the car) or just go ahead with a cold engine and keep the rev's down (not good for the psyche)?

Any advice appreciated. BTW I am running a 95 993.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I would either not participate, or I would run with a motor at full operating temperature.
If you can let it idle long enough to get fully warm, OK. The watercooled Porsches are OK
with long idles, but I'll let the airheads speak about 993s.
Joe
Old 02-04-2008, 11:34 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
I would either not participate, or I would run with a motor at full operating temperature.
If you can let it idle long enough to get fully warm, OK. The watercooled Porsches are OK
with long idles, but I'll let the airheads speak about 993s.
Joe
At the last event I did let the engine idle to operating temperature but can't say I was extremely excited about doing so. Maybe others will chime in as well.

Thanks Joe.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:47 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I'd start the car a few minutes early and gradually bring the rpms up as you would while driving off (no need to take it over 3k rpm). It will take a long time for an idling engine to reach operating temps.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:30 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

I will give it a try-Thanks Jim
Old 02-05-2008, 01:33 AM
springgeyser
Racer

To bring up the engine temp quicker while idling, turn on the AC to 'cold'.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:46 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Should I turn on the AC and give it a few rev's (say under 4,000) to aid the engine in getting to operating temps if I only have a few minutes to "warm up the engine"?

TIA

Trending Topics

Old 02-05-2008, 05:29 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95C4VanIsle
Should I turn on the AC and give it a few rev's (say under 4,000) to aid the engine in getting to operating temps if I only have a few minutes to "warm up the engine"?

TIA
Do what you can to give yourself plenty of time to get the engine warm. Run or walk very fast to your car after your work assignment and fire up the engine. Definitely keep it under 4K rpm while it's warming up. Also, you can give yourself more time to warm it up if you're one of the last to move your car into grid. Park at the end of one of the last rows.

Besides getting your car up to operating temp, you need to watch out for those walls. That's a scary track in the wet.

Have fun!
Old 02-05-2008, 07:37 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Why not suggest each group of cars get a drive thru before the first timed run.

Good chance to warm up the car, the tires, the brakes, and the driver.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:05 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell the operators that Porsche does not want you to let your car idle excessively and that you'd like a practice run to warm everything up properly. Or, you could request to run in two classes. I'm sure if you get 8 runs then you won't miss one slow one for the sake of learning the course at a slow pace. I bet they will just recommend running in two classes and tell you to take the first lap easy.

Also, one doesn't need to be high in the rev's to attack turns hard. Keep it a gear low and you should be able to still be moderately aggressive while being easy on the engine. It won't be your fastest run, but you'll learn the course.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Just start it a little early and maybe drive it around slowly (like in a circle or something) before all the runs start.
All our clubs down here wouldn't mind, especially since workers are changing and nothing is going on anyway.
Don't run with it stone cold & don't let it idle forever, either.
Unless mine has been sitting for hours, it warms up quickly enough to run.
Now tires, heh...that's another story.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the suggestions. I should be able to use them as the people running the event are very helpful. I just hope all of the ice is removed from the track this time!
Old 02-11-2008, 01:49 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Thanks to all of you for your help. I basically used all of your techniques to warm up the car. The temps were slightly above freezing, then had a downpour, couldn't warm up the tires, but had a ball.

Didn't damage the car but I lost the rear end on a 130 degree turn. I applied the brakes, others have said with a C4 I should have stepped on it. I think I have a lot to learn. I will be ordering some books recommended on RL.

Once again, thanks

Quick Reply: Warming up car in near freezing temperatures