Notices

How it all works

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 11:55 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default How it all works

Ok , I have owned my 87 924S for 7 years, I have done tons of work to it and everything but I never have done any DE or autoX, How does it all work, with my current mods what class would I be running in?? I really want to get invloved in DE and autoX but have no idea on anything about them so any info tips tricks would be great Thanx
Old 11-29-2004, 11:56 PM
eman930
Banned

ohh here are some pics of my ride right now, I have taken her off the road to do some more upgrades and mantience on her.

link
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/723719/1
Old 11-30-2004, 12:35 AM
houldsworth1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For AutoX try visiting...

www.autox4u.com

And don't forget to check out the driving video which you can get to by clicking on the moving cone...as long as you have broadband...

Barry
Old 11-30-2004, 02:02 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mostly, for both DE and AutoX, just show up.... . The folks there will be more than helpful to get you going.

However, before you go, contact the event organizer and find out about helmet requirements, safety gear (your car in stock form should be ok), and tech inspection requirements. Usually every year before I start the season, I bring my car into my regular wrench for a "safety check" just to be sure there is not something needing attention that I have overlooked.

If you have not done any high speed driving, you might want to try a few Autocrosses first to get a sense of the cars handling at low speeds before you hit the big track. The two events are somewhat complementary:Autocross is at low speeds but really tests your ability to control your car while navigating a tight course; and DE is at higher speeds but lacks (at least to me) the visceral thrill of competition with you driving your car to the limits.

For your first time out, be sure to leave your ego at home as some dude in a battered Yugo will eat your lunch.

BTW, where in the New Haven area would you running? I remember as a kid, I used to see Autocross in the Hamden Plaza but they were closed on sundays then.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:03 PM
eman930
Banned

I dont know of any events around the near area, I will have to search more
Old 12-03-2004, 03:36 PM
rareblack944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fast924s, go to the pca National website and look at the breakdown of zones and regions and find somthing near you. I'm pretty sure that there are some fairly active auto-x regions near you. Im also pretty sure that in CT the plainfield dog track is used as an auto-x site, but there might be somthing closer to you. I ussally go to events that are at Fort Devens in Ayer Massachuttes simply becuase it's convient for me.

For DE do the same thing, suppossidly there are some great tracks in our area, unforitnly i haven't been able to drive any of them yet, hoping to change that this summer. Lime Rock Park is the northwestern part of the state, couldn't be more then an hour from you. And there is Watkins Glen in New York, probably five to six hours from you. And there is New Hampshire international Speedway which has a road course attached to the Oval, probably 3-4 hours from you.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rareblack944
For DE do the same thing, suppossidly there are some great tracks in our area, unforitnly i haven't been able to drive any of them yet, hoping to change that this summer. Lime Rock Park is the northwestern part of the state, couldn't be more then an hour from you. And there is Watkins Glen in New York, probably five to six hours from you. And there is New Hampshire international Speedway which has a road course attached to the Oval, probably 3-4 hours from you.
Tracks close by:
Lime Rock Park, CT
Pocono Internatinoal Raceway (similar setup as NHIS - tri-oval with infield road courses) PA
Watkins Glen, NY
NHIS, NH
Tracks a little further:
Virginina International Raceway (VIR) VA
Mid-Ohio
Summit Point / Shenandoah in West VA
Mosport (Canada)
Mt. Tremblant (Canada)

All of these are world class tracks and most surround PCA regions have events there. Check the CVR PCA website, the NNJR PCA website, and the Metro NY PCA website for details. These clubs have well developed DE programs and when you show up, you will be met by many folks who are willing to help you get started on your new addiction.

As for autox - CVR just re-started their autox this year. NNJR has a well developed program as does Metro NY, but they are a ways from you. A friend of mine (Colin) drives the 1.5 hours from CT to NJ to participate in the NNJR autox program. And I have driven 1+ hours to run with Metro. Sometimes, you gotta drive to have fun!
-Z-man.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:20 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For Autocross in Connecticut, try these folks: http://www.cartct.com/index1.php?center=home.htm. I don't anything about them except an old college buddy of mine did some events with them a few years back.

Quick Reply: How it all works