Notices

Brake Pads for Street/Autox/Track Usage

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2024, 12:06 PM
Andy Ordonez
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brake Pads for Street/Autox/Track Usage

I've been using Ferodo DS2500 pads (on Sebro slotted discs) for my Cayman R which sees daily driving (~8K/year), autox (~8 events/year), and track (~6 days/year). They've been very good, fairly long-lasting, but the squealing during street use is really bad (except for the first week or so after a track day, which is expected). What other pads should I consider that may perform as well or better (braking and longevity), but might not squeal as much in daily driving? Perhaps an impossible ask . . .
Old 07-02-2024, 02:21 PM
Abt12
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm surprised you're getting squealing with the ds2500. I run them on my Golf R daily (that sees occasional Autox use) and rarely hear a peep from them. Did you use high temp brake grease on all contact points? The permatex purple stuff has worked well for me.
Old 07-02-2024, 02:43 PM
KINGHURL
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

You will get the squeal on a street driven car with those pads as running on the street will not get them up to the ideal temp and you will erode the pad material deposited on the rotors. You will have to re-bed them to avoid the squeal. This is essentially what happens when you run them on the track-high enough temp-redeposits material on the rotor, so now it's pad material vs pad material-all is quiet, until you wear the rotor deposited material off and the cycle of squealing rapacious swamp sow starts all over again.
The following 2 users liked this post by KINGHURL:
Andy Ordonez (07-03-2024), JRitt@essex (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 09:08 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 375 Posts

squealing rapacious swamp sow
KINGHURL, May I please have permission to use this in my future learning materials for our customer? Love it!

KINGHURL hit the nail on the head! The reason the pads are quiet after your track day is that at the track you get the pads hot enough to lay down a nice layer of pad material on the disc face. The following week as you drive them around town with the brakes cold, the pads act in an abrasive manner, rather than in an adherent manner. The cold pads don't stick to the disc face, but rather scrape it. The pad transfer layer peels off, exposing the bare metal underneath. Then the bare disc iron rubbing against the pads squeals. This is common with pretty much any semi-metallic pad.

I've been using Ferodo DS2500 pads (on Sebro slotted discs) for my Cayman R which sees daily driving (~8K/year), autox (~8 events/year), and track (~6 days/year).
Andy Ordonez,

As you note in the last line of your post...what you're seeking is likely an impossible ask. You likely aren't going to find any pads that perform better than the Ferodo DS2500 for dual street/track use. Frankly, your performance results described above are phenomenal for any pad, and there aren't many pad compounds out there that could do that sort of thing. They're usually either good road pads or good track pads...not both! The goals of street pads and track pads are completely different, as I discuss in my article, "Can I Run my OEM Brake Pads on the Track?". We've had many clients over the years who have tried different pads, but they typically come back to the Ferodo DS2500. The 2500 is a unique compound because it is technically a racing pad, yet has very mild road manners. It is incredibly easy on discs for a pad that can handle so much heat, is more fade resistant than any street pad, yet rarely makes much noise (particularly when bed in on the discs being used). It will also last far longer than any street pad under track duress.

I would suggest that when they start to squeal, do a handful of hard stops to get them hot enough to lay down a little pad material on the discs. 6-8 stops from sixty should probably do it. Please see our videos and articles below for some further guidance on pad and disc management. Thanks for being a Ferodo customer, and we're glad you're getting so much great use out of the pads!

Article: Track and Racing Brake Pad Owner's Guide

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

The following 3 users liked this post by JRitt@essex:
Andy Ordonez (07-03-2024), Joe250 (07-03-2024), KINGHURL (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 09:46 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Ordonez
I've been using Ferodo DS2500 pads (on Sebro slotted discs) for my Cayman R which sees daily driving (~8K/year), autox (~8 events/year), and track (~6 days/year). They've been very good, fairly long-lasting, but the squealing during street use is really bad (except for the first week or so after a track day, which is expected). What other pads should I consider that may perform as well or better (braking and longevity), but might not squeal as much in daily driving? Perhaps an impossible ask . . .
It will not solve your squealing issue, but I would also suggest considering the Pagid RS14 Black pads. I chose them over all other Pagid compounds because they have a very high coefficient of friction when cold (autocross and street performance duty), and achieve an even higher coefficient when hot from track duty. I believe they wear a bit faster than Pagid's other compounds, but the performance is wonderful. Also, in my experience, the compound is compatible with the OEM Textar compounds, so you can change to street pads and back again without any issues. (Some pad compounds exhibit judder against the material deposited on the rotor when you change compounds back and forth).
The following users liked this post:
Andy Ordonez (07-03-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 03:11 AM
Harry_James
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi andy with my experiece the recommendations are:
1:Hawk Performance Ceramic
2:EBC Yellowstuff
3:Pagid RS29
4:StopTech Strret Pereformance
5:Porterfield R4-S
All of these Pads are known for their excellent performance.Hope It help Thanks.
Andy Ordonez (07-20-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 11:28 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Ordonez
AFAIK, all high-temp track pads squeal when street driven and many will wear the disks very quickly.

The only solution I know is to use a brand that allows you to swap pads between street and track without rebedding. Carbotec is one that I've used. I think there are others. Their lowest 2 types (Bobcat & AX6) are great for street and autocross. Going to the track? Swap in the XP** versions. Even the lowest of the high-temp pads, the XP8, can make noise on the street. XP10 and XP12 are generally for high-power, say 350hp and up. Get home and just swap back to the streets.
Old 07-25-2024, 04:53 PM
MikeKuhnRacing
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by edfishjr
AFAIK, all high-temp track pads squeal when street driven and many will wear the disks very quickly.

The only solution I know is to use a brand that allows you to swap pads between street and track without rebedding. Carbotec is one that I've used. I think there are others. Their lowest 2 types (Bobcat & AX6) are great for street and autocross. Going to the track? Swap in the XP** versions. Even the lowest of the high-temp pads, the XP8, can make noise on the street. XP10 and XP12 are generally for high-power, say 350hp and up. Get home and just swap back to the streets.
I've been running the XP12/10's for over a year now on AP rotors. No changing from street or track. Wear has been good, not too dusty, and bite is good enough for autocross/tracks. Not as powerful as the Hawk DTC60s but those were way too aggressive for autox and street driving.
edfishjr (07-25-2024)

Quick Reply: Brake Pads for Street/Autox/Track Usage