Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Autocross (https://rennlist.com/forums/autocross-85/)
-   -   Thoughts on if this would be legal in street class (https://rennlist.com/forums/autocross/1310588-thoughts-on-if-this-would-be-legal-in-street-class.html)

RacingChris44 07-23-2022 03:02 PM

Thoughts on if this would be legal in street class

So if you have a 718T, the car comes with 20" wheels stock. A base 718 can have 18's...Does anyone believe the SCCA would allow 18's on a 718T in the street class?

edfishjr 07-23-2022 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by RacingChris44 (Post 18264171)
So if you have a 718T, the car comes with 20" wheels stock. A base 718 can have 18's...Does anyone believe the SCCA would allow 18's on a 718T in the street class?

That's a negative.

Give me 1" only.

But, Captain...

1" only, Vasily.

burglar 07-23-2022 11:48 PM

FWIW we've discussed removing diameter restriction multiple times in the last couple years and can't quite get on board with the idea.

RacingChris44 07-24-2022 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by burglar (Post 18264779)
FWIW we've discussed removing diameter restriction multiple times in the last couple years and can't quite get on board with the idea.

It honestly is a good idea for the street class because it would allow people more diversity of tire selection.

So another question - You can order the 18" Snow tire/wheel package with the "T" on their configurator ...Would this "legalize" 18's for the car?

cmorales954 07-25-2022 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by RacingChris44 (Post 18265444)
It honestly is a good idea for the street class because it would allow people more diversity of tire selection.

So another question - You can order the 18" Snow tire/wheel package with the "T" on their configurator ...Would this "legalize" 18's for the car?

What's the width on those, however? You'd be held to that wheel's width, too, I think. Winter sets are normally narrow.

edfishjr 07-25-2022 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by cmorales954 (Post 18266363)
What's the width on those, however? You'd be held to that wheel's width, too, I think. Winter sets are normally narrow.

Exactly.

RacingChris44 07-25-2022 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by cmorales954 (Post 18266363)

Well, you see, I would apply a special calculation that uses the best width combined with my desired diameter to get the wheel I'd like (sarcasm). I'm obviously trying to convince myself that the rules will work in favor of what I want to do. So from a 19" perspective, what are people using in the street class? I had 18" OZ's on my old Boxster and it appears Apex does not make an 8.5x19 front.

Thoughts?

BmacIL 07-31-2022 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by burglar (Post 18264779)

Glad to hear. I think with how supply chains have affected tire availability, it would be worthy considering the change. Width and offset restrictions obviously remain, but if you can fit a smaller wheel over the brakes, why not? They're generally cheaper as well, which is good for continuing to build and retain the membership base. I do not see a clear advantage/disadvantage purely with wheel diameter. Smaller, you get taller, floppier sidewall (and less spring rate) but a little less mass and inertia. Bigger you get shorter, more responsive sidewall but generally more mass and inertia. Some cars need the sidewall rigidity, others benefit more from mass reduction.

burglar 08-01-2022 09:59 AM

There's a lot of stuff that I'll agree doesn't seem to make sense in the rules, but a very basic overview of why, and we're actually pretty consistent.
  • There's a group of volunteers that reads a batch of letters every month and decides what to do with them. We hard reset very rarely, it's mostly patch upon patch.
  • Any rule change affects every car. Something that's "common sense" for one car might be a nightmare for another.
  • Autocrossers are fantastic at taking the smallest allowance an up-spinning it to a sometimes huge, often costly, advantage.
  • Related to above: intent is only intent.
  • We cannot legislate spending, testing, or effort.
  • Takebacks are real hard.
As a result of the above, new or expanded allowances are real difficult to get pushed through. Something has to be pretty broken across a wide range of the membership, with a solution that's equitable across all classes, to get major change.

Z3papa 08-01-2022 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by RacingChris44 (Post 18264171)

I find it amusing that you can spec a Base 718 exactly like a T without some cosmetic bits and pieces which would likely fall under C and C, and use 18" wheels, but can't with a T. Cliff note answer is "No".

RacingChris44 08-01-2022 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Z3papa (Post 18279816)
I find it amusing that you can spec a Base 718 exactly like a T without some cosmetic bits and pieces which would likely fall under C and C, and use 18" wheels, but can't with a T. Cliff note answer is "No".

I know...I have found some good 19" options and there is a pretty good selection of tires that will work well. Now, how well do they work against a 505hp C6z in the same class? That is a whole other question. I would love to see a reshuffle of the 2.5's going to AS and the the base-engine 718's going to BS. All the car magazines compare the base 718 to the supra, M2, etc. - It would further diversify the class IMO.

cmorales954 08-01-2022 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by RacingChris44 (Post 18279914)
I know...I have found some good 19" options and there is a pretty good selection of tires that will work well. Now, how well do they work against a 505hp C6z in the same class? That is a whole other question. I would love to see a reshuffle of the 2.5's going to AS and the the base-engine 718's going to BS. All the car magazines compare the base 718 to the supra, M2, etc. - It would further diversify the class IMO.

Amen to that. There’s a 3150lb, 500hp, double wishbone car leading AS but the 2.5 Cayman or in my case 3.4 C2 991 is stuck in SS against some absolute beasts.

Z3papa 08-02-2022 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by RacingChris44 (Post 18279914)

Write a letter and receive a TYFYI response as the decision has been made that the 981 GTS/S is as fast a P car as they are going to let into AS for the time being.

Auto_Werks 3.6 08-02-2022 01:25 PM

There is no sense getting worked up about moving buried cars from SS into AS, because for the majority of events this year AS has been faster than SS. The C6Z / yokohama tire combo has been really impressive. The few times when Grant Reeve has been out in SSR, the time delta from SSR to AS has really shrunk as well. The average talent pool in SS is lower as well (its not ALWAYS lower, and the peak talent is strong). I did the red hills tour this year in a "regular" 981S, I finished 1 out of the trophies and would have been in a trophy spot on raw time in SS. You're arguing to take yourself out of the pot and into the fire.

Z3papa 08-02-2022 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6 (Post 18281377)
There is no sense getting worked up about moving buried cars from SS into AS, because for the majority of events this year AS has been faster than SS. The C6Z / yokohama tire combo has been really impressive. The few times when Grant Reeve has been out in SSR, the time delta from SSR to AS has really shrunk as well. The average talent pool in SS is lower as well (its not ALWAYS lower, and the peak talent is strong). I did the red hills tour this year in a "regular" 981S, I finished 1 out of the trophies and would have been in a trophy spot on raw time in SS. You're arguing to take yourself out of the pot and into the fire.

No one is getting "worked up" and as for AS being faster than SS, I'd love to be classed locally with Dan Simms, Billy Damoff, Greg Janulis and Andy Francis, all of whom will be in the mix. I'd disagree with the assessment of SS talent pool but you are welcome to your opinion.