Notices

DSC sport tuning for autocross

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2024, 04:09 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 583 Likes on 318 Posts

Well we know SCCA hates Porsche in general (or anything that isn't a ****box Civic or old VW) so I'm sure if you question it - they will conclude that you can NOT run the DSC controller with your 987.

However - my memory is fuzzy, as it's been a while since I've had my 987... but I think only the 987.1 needs the DSC sensor. Pretty sure the 987.2's factory sensor is good enough. So if you have a .2 then this likely isn't a concern for you.
Old 08-20-2024, 04:18 PM
arthurc604
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm a 987.1, thanks for the thoughts. I think you're correct that the 987.2 does not need the accelerometer based on the DSC Sport ordering drop-down menu.

I didn't realize the DSC accelerometer was a completely separate CAN bus device which is added to the car, so I think it's pretty clear this is an additional sensor. https://www.dscsport.com/downloads/i...stallation.pdf

Oh well, I will just return to my regularly scheduled beating by Supras and M2s

Last edited by arthurc604; 08-20-2024 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2024, 06:53 PM
saxonite
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The DCS sensor would be considered an additional sensor. For 987.1 and 997.1 cars, I feel this is area specific on legality. Some local clubs won’t really care and some regions might be favorable to it. If you have any intentions of running nationals then I wouldn’t. I’m not condoning cheating but clubs have different views on things.
Old 08-22-2024, 11:24 AM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 583 Likes on 318 Posts

Yeah it's gonna come down to, IMO, your personal ethics and standards. It's not like the sudden ability to adjust the dampers on OE shocks is going to take you from P90 overall to FTD... plus it would generally require a competitor to know that the .1's require the "extra sensor" (most Porsche owners can't visually tell the difference between a .1 and .2). Hell when I had my 987, I registered it as a .2 since it was a completely converted .2 in a .1 shell. Nobody knew the difference anyways... but technically, according to the rules, it was "engine swapped" and all that other BS. If someone really wanted to DQ me over it, fine... I didn't take local events seriously enough to really care. But those are my personal standards. .

At a National event - probably not be worth the risk, just because usually the cost and pain of getting to Nationals isn't worth potentially getting protested and DQ'd over it after all the effort.
Old 08-22-2024, 02:58 PM
saxonite
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daaa nope
Yeah it's gonna come down to, IMO, your personal ethics and standards. It's not like the sudden ability to adjust the dampers on OE shocks is going to take you from P90 overall to FTD... plus it would generally require a competitor to know that the .1's require the "extra sensor" (most Porsche owners can't visually tell the difference between a .1 and .2). Hell when I had my 987, I registered it as a .2 since it was a completely converted .2 in a .1 shell. Nobody knew the difference anyways... but technically, according to the rules, it was "engine swapped" and all that other BS. If someone really wanted to DQ me over it, fine... I didn't take local events seriously enough to really care. But those are my personal standards. .

At a National event - probably not be worth the risk, just because usually the cost and pain of getting to Nationals isn't worth potentially getting protested and DQ'd over it after all the effort.
I agree with your views on this and it is what I was hinting at. If I was going to run in Nationals, I wouldn't even attempt to do this. Local events are different and it depends on how competitive people are. Also, only those in your class can protest your car, so if you are the only one in class, it's not an issue. I view it more as letter vs spirit of the rule. I only compete in local events and fell being allowed to run DSC in my 997.1 C2S falls into the spirit of the rule. I am not going to grab top time of the day in that car and would probably finish in the top 10-15 for PAX. If I ran in National events, I would drive a different car but I've never ran a National event in my 18 years of competing and have no intentions on doing so.
Old 08-22-2024, 04:13 PM
dps214
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by saxonite
Also, only those in your class can protest your car, so if you are the only one in class, it's not an issue.
Just FYI, that's incorrect. Anyone can protest anyone.
Old 08-22-2024, 08:35 PM
saxonite
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dps214
Just FYI, that's incorrect. Anyone can protest anyone.
Correct me if I am reading the rules wrong. I do see in 8.1, the right to protest shall rest with any entrant, driver or official taking part in the competition. In 8.3 it states Entrants or Drivers taking part in a competition may protest a car in the same competition and class as not conforming with the rules. The Chief Steward may protest any car in the competition. I read that as only people in the class as the car in question may protest that car unless it the Chief Steward. Again, if I am reading this wrong or there is another part in the rules that contradicts this, please let me know.
Old 08-22-2024, 11:58 PM
dps214
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Maybe you are correct, seems weird to say that anyone can protest anyone's actions and that a car protest is also a protest against a person...but later specify that car protests can only be in class. In any case, formal protests are pretty non-existent outside of national events and really most national events other than the championships, so as far as local competition it's not really relevant.
Old 08-23-2024, 01:43 AM
saxonite
Rennlist Member

It isn’t the first, nor the last thing the scca does that doesn’t make sense. I do agree with you that in local events, it’s very rarely an issue.

Quick Reply: DSC sport tuning for autocross