Notices

Boxster Spyder classing?

Old 07-17-2019, 11:56 AM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Boxster Spyder classing?

I drive a 2011 Boxster Spyder and wanted to get some input on proper classing. I've done 1 autocross and initially placed myself in SS since the stock Spyder slots in there, however mine has a few modifications that I believe will move it to some other class which I can't figure out easily looking at the SCCA rule book. I'm only out to have fun, no plan to compete seriously otherwise I would've bought a car tailored to a class. This is my fun/weekend/hpde car and autocrosses are held much more frequently where I live, so it's a fun way to get out and push the car.

I've asked on my local organizations message board but no one is well versed in Porsches so there's some back and forth about whether I'd be in STU or ASP. Looks like my times from my first autox would make for a fun time in STU, in ASP it appears I'll bring up the rear by a decent margin

Modifications:
KW v3 coilover suspension
ERP Parts adjustable tie rods front and rear
Wheel spacers front and rear
Aftermarket OZ wheels I use for HPDE/Autox (18" compared to the stock 19" wheels, same wheel width in front, 0.5" narrower width in rear)

I can always pull the spacers off if that's needed, the other items I'd prefer to leave on since competitive autox'ing is not my main aim with this car. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2019, 05:30 PM
eltoshan
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like you would be ASP as the 987.2 is not included in Street Touring.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:37 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by eltoshan
Looks like you would be ASP as the 987.2 is not included in Street Touring.
Not entirely true, 987.2 and 987.2S are classed in STU. New this year as I recall. 981.1 (base) as well. 986 and 987.1 (base) are in STR. This does not include the Boxster Spyder or Cayman R, though. So, yeah, ASP unfortunately. If your local club has an open street tire class, you may be able to run in that.

Also, unfortunately, SCCA chose to BoP us with asinine tire sizes. 987.1 is restricted to 255 in STR. 987.2/S can only run up to 265 in STU. So even if you were classed, you'd probably still go to ASP due to tire size unless you were building specifically for STR/STU.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder classing?