Notices

Tires for Auto-X and Street

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 11:32 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the very least, you could chalk the shoulder of your tires to see if you're getting excessive rollover. I wouldn't recomend using shoe polish, though--it doesn't come off!

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2004, 06:29 PM
jim944s2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've looked at the shoulders and used chalk, but I've been told by national champ/tire expert that that used to work in the old days, but it's not a good indicator on modern tires.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:41 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think chalking is still a reasonable approach for street tires. For R-compound tires, a pyrometer is preferable since they have much stiffer sidewalls and may not roll over significantly even at lower temperatures, but I imagine you'd have trouble getting a pyrometer probe into a street tire even if you wanted to.

jim944s2, do you do PCA events exclusively or do you run with other clubs as well? I run with the SCCA and WWSCC in the Seattle area, but will probably try a few PCA events this year as well.

Steve
Old 03-23-2004, 08:28 PM
KY-91C2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just thought I'd update.

I decided to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport Ribs.

A few things sent me in this directions.

First, all of the R-coupounds I looked at were not available in 205/50 on the front. My 91 C2 has 17-inch wheels. However, the PO did not properly install the wheels, as it has not had the steering stops replaced. So I have had a small bit of tire rub in the wheel well. I figured that if I went to 225's, the condition would be worse.

Second, I run SCCA autocross. For me to run B-stock, I must either run with 16 inch wheels (17's were not an option in 91, and I don't have the cash for that right now), or convert the car to a 92. The most important difference that I saw between the two model years was the rear shocks and coils. I can't afford to do that this year, either. So I will be stuck in ASP, where I most likely won't be competetive anyway.

So until I can perform one of the two changes, I'll just enjoy myself and work on becoming a better driver.

Thanks for all of the input. It made me think alot about tires, probably much more than I ever would have without it.

Ron

91 C2 Cabriolet
85.5 944 NA

Quick Reply: Tires for Auto-X and Street