Notices

2019 Autocross Videos

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 08:19 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Which is harder on the car? (Not referring to a dedicated track car)

Assuming one drives at around 8/10ths, and no accidents. Which will lead to more cosmetic issues, more stress on the drive train, suspension. Etc
This is a tough question to answer. Most would say that track-days are much harder on the car because:

1) Brakes get much hotter and get much more work on the track. Porsches generally have very good brakes which often only require a change to the pads (higher temp operation) to handle the track and sometimes not even that. Pad and rotor wear will be high, however, and can become a major expense. No pad changes necessary for autocross.

2) Time spent at high RPM & full power is much greater on the track than autocross, putting a lot more stress on internal engine components, oiling systems and cooling systems. Some Porsches should not be driven aggressively on the track without measures taken to improve oiling (all M96 engines). Some need rod bearing checks/replacement (944). Some should not be run at extended high-RPM without better rod bolts (993). (All these statements are my personal opinions.)

3) When you begin improving the lateral acceleration capability of the car there are lots of things that can start to wear during tracking in the suspension systems. This is true for autocross as well, possible because we often increase the lateral capability while running over bumps, sharp pavement changes, etc. that are not found on the track.

Last edited by edfishjr; 04-17-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:26 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Which is harder on the car? (Not referring to a dedicated track car)

Assuming one drives at around 8/10ths, and no accidents. Which will lead to more cosmetic issues, more stress on the drive train, suspension. Etc
Generally speaking, track is harder on the car, and autocross is harder on the tires.

There are always exceptions, though. Prosolo drag launches destroying drivetrains for instance. And some tracks just love destroying tires.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:53 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Thanks. Good input.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:43 AM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's one from PCA Chesapeake last weekend that I'm happy with since it was neat and tidy after being a dumpster fire of oversteer the week prior with SCCA. It's an unusual configuration for this lot as it had some really fast sections and less individual "elements" overall. Also had a slow skidpad that I actually gained a decent advantage on the exit by staying in first (which I never do). Defn some things I would change with my run and I wasn't as close to some cones as I'd like to be, but I was pleased to snag FTD after the gut punch at SCCA lol

Old 04-24-2019, 03:34 PM
911C4GTS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what did you change week-to-week?
Old 04-24-2019, 05:07 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

That looks like a fun course, Dean. Congrats on FTD!
Old 04-25-2019, 09:47 AM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911C4GTS
So what did you change week-to-week?
Possible placebos were taking 2 psi out of the rears and finally installing the fresh engine mounts I had been procrastinating on. What I think really changed was mental. I spent a lot of time visualizing runs and precisely where I wanted the car to be at any given point. I'm certain this was the difference. The prior week I felt like I was slightly behind the course and the car, which meant I was being more reactive, which meant the car wasn't where I needed it to be, which resulted in a lot of late/abrupt steering inputs. I think those inputs were the real culprit to all my oversteer.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:04 AM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Originally Posted by sjfehr
That looks like a fun course, Dean. Congrats on FTD!
Thanks! It was a nice simple one, which is helpful when you're trying to get your head right. That VIR track-cross looks like a ton of fun. I really hope this catches on in general. I got bored a few year back of DE/HPDE, but these timed events bring a whole new dimension. Summit point does a winter track-cross series here that they've extended now into the summer, and Dominion also has a track-cross summer series. It would be great of SCCA and PCA up here would also embrace them!
Old 04-25-2019, 06:46 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

BRR-SCCA plans on doing more trackcrosses @ VIR since this one was so succesfull. Tidewater Sports Car Club does several similar Gripfest events at NCCAR each year, too, that you may be interested in.

FedEx sealed asphalt causes some handling changes compared to the surfaces you may be used to. My car gets even more incredibly loose on the sealed asphalt at ZMax, too. I wouldn't get too hung up vs the competition, either- there are some FAST drivers in WDCR. Especially if your car wasn't handling right for you.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:10 AM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Originally Posted by sjfehr
BRR-SCCA plans on doing more trackcrosses @ VIR since this one was so succesfull. Tidewater Sports Car Club does several similar Gripfest events at NCCAR each year, too, that you may be interested in.

FedEx sealed asphalt causes some handling changes compared to the surfaces you may be used to. My car gets even more incredibly loose on the sealed asphalt at ZMax, too. I wouldn't get too hung up vs the competition, either- there are some FAST drivers in WDCR. Especially if your car wasn't handling right for you.
WDCR is crazy, almost always about a dozen or more guys there who are/could be nationally competitive. And that's not even counting when Sam Strano Shows up. Working the course and watching them pick it apart is a real pleasure and learning experience
Old 04-27-2019, 10:50 PM
ghartke
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want everyone to know Dean's my hero. I want to drive like him when I grow up. Thanks a bunch for coming out to our event, Dean! Sure hope to see you at a bunch more CHS AXs. We're better when you're there!

Regards,

Greg
Old 05-02-2019, 01:13 PM
JKinOB
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SDR SCCA Championship Autocross #4 4/29

Here's a video of my last two runs at the San Diego Region's SCCA Championship Autocross event this past Sunday.

The first run in the video was my fastest clean run. The second run in the video would have been my fastest time, except for the two cones I hit at about 1:43 in the video (00:22;800 on the timer overlay) and at 2:04 in the video (00:42;033 showing on the timer overlay) - woulda, coulda, shoulda...

Cheers!

John
Old 05-02-2019, 03:50 PM
BHunt 72T
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Couldn't agree more Greg - Deano is my hero too when it comes to driving. I'd be happy to be half as good.

But his personality really needs work. Little-to-no sense of humor and always takes himself too seriously. Too bad really.

(Hope to make it to a Chesapeake event soon Greg!)
Old 05-02-2019, 09:55 PM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Originally Posted by BHunt 72T
Couldn't agree more Greg - Deano is my hero too when it comes to driving. I'd be happy to be half as good.

But his personality really needs work. Little-to-no sense of humor and always takes himself too seriously. Too bad really.

(Hope to make it to a Chesapeake event soon Greg!)
Brooks is just biding his time until he codrives my hoopty and puts a full second on me. Which is fine because maybe then he'll feel bad enough let me drive codrive the 72
Old 05-05-2019, 01:16 PM
steguis
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NJ ProSolo win this weekend:

Quick Reply: 2019 Autocross Videos