Notices

981 SCCA AStreet Wheel options for 19"

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 11:22 AM
Sprockett
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I could be spotted 1 second I'd take the 18s all day long. In all seriousness, if I had the option to run 18" (I don't, I have a GTS) I would at least experiment with the new Yokohama tires available.

Even with Bridgestones, the boys running 718 base cars (Yury and Kit) have chosen to run 18s (for them it's 18x8/10) even though 19" are available to them. The 285/30R18 RE71R is less than 25" tall and would really help gearing. The yokos now offer a 295 18" tire that the c5z vette guys have been cramming on their 9.5" fronts so there is another option. Yury won this past weekend running 245/315 Yokos on 18" wheels.
The following users liked this post:
justint5387 (08-08-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 06:49 PM
justint5387
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone know what size Yokohama did people run on the 981 at Lincoln?

I noticed Greg ran the Yokohamas, probably 18 inch?
Old 10-15-2019, 07:17 PM
edj787
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justint5387
Anyone know what size Yokohama did people run on the 981 at Lincoln?

I noticed Greg ran the Yokohamas, probably 18 inch?
Greg used 20" wheels at Nationals so 255/285.
The following users liked this post:
justint5387 (10-16-2019)
Old 08-29-2020, 11:37 PM
Nokones
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default You Need A Full Custom Built Wheel

Originally Posted by Sprockett
This thread is for those planning to run a 981 GTS in AStreet (or an S but with the widest wheels possible). I have been having some difficulty finding 19" wheel options that are legal offset in the widest 8.5/10 widths. I also can not find any documentation that 5mm spacers were legal but if someone can provide this wheel options would improve DRAMATICALLY. In the absence of that...

OEM wheels were:
Front 20x8.5 +57
Rear 20x10 +50

Legal 19" wheels would have to be:
Front 19x8.5 with an offset of +50 or greater
Rear 19x10 with an offset of +43 or greater.

I can not find a single off the shelf wheel option that has legal offsets front and rear. On the GT4 I had OZ wheels and had to machine the mounting pad down 1mm to have legal offset so modifying offset is possible but likely only 1-2mm safely and each wheel would be different to determine safety in doing so. So below are the options I've explored...

Forgestar CF5 - These are custom ordered but Forgestar claims the CF5 are the only wheel center they sell that can clear the brakes at a +50mm offset in the front.

NEW
MOMO RF Series - These are custom ordered and they claim they can clear the front 981 brakes with a +50 offset for the RF20 and RF5C wheels. I never asked about the RF10.

OZ Leggera (and others) - These have legal offsets in the front but all 19x10 wheels have a +40mm offset which would require 3mm of shaving which is getting iffy for sure.

Victor Equipment Wheels - All the 19x10 Victor wheels have a legal rear offset of +50mm but all the front 19x8.5 are not legal at +45 and 5mm shaving is definitely out of the question.

TireRack Sport Edition Wheels - Turbo Twist reps and heavy...19x8.5 +54mm and 19x10 +42mm These have legal offset front and are just 1mm away from legal offset rear so definitely doable I feel...and cheap.

Niche Essen - 19x8.5 +48 and 19x10+48 these are just 2mm away from being legal in the front (assuming the spokes would still clear the calipers afterwards). Would have to determine if comfortable shaving 2mm from these pads. Does anyone have these wheels on their Cayman that could check clearances?

Hartmann Fuch reps - 19x8.5 +48mm and 19x10 +47mm again are 2mm away from being legal in the front assuming the spokes would still clear the calipers afterwards. Would have to determine if comfortable shaving 2mm from these pads. Does anyone have these wheels on their Cayman that could check clearances?

Wheel Dynamics OS Design II - 19x8.5 +48mm and 19x10 +47mm these might be the same manufacture of the wheels above. All the same applies. Does anyone have these wheels on their Cayman that could check clearances?

OEM Cayman 987 Carrera Sport Wheels - These are heavy. 19x8.5 +55mm and 19x10 +42mm. These are just 1mm away from legal offset on the rear so definitely doable...if you want to modify a relatively rare set of OEM Porsche wheels...

Random Chinese something - Here's a link. I know nothing of these or their quality or the company selling them. The rear would have to be shaved 1mm which would definitely be doable. Does anyone have these wheels and can speak of their experience with them?

If anyone has any other options beside full out custom wheels, love to see it posted here.
In order to get what you want and to be legal in A street, you will need to go to a full custom wheel. Also, a good quality custom wheel will stand up to the stress on an autocross course. Most after-market wheels are cast wheels and most quality full custom wheel that is made to your spec most likely be a forged wheel. You should look into a Forgeline wheel. Yes, they are expensive but, you get what you pay for. Forgeline wheels are top-notch.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:48 PM
Nokones
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprockett
I think you got all the must haves. The GTS has Sport Chrono always. X73 is the car's advantage over the 718 imho and seems rare on a GTS cause you would have to throw away the more expensive PASM option that it already comes with. It's definitely not as comfortable on the street...the GT4 on comfort was much cushier. PTV I assume you'd want for the LSD and PDK is an ABSOLUTE MUST if you want to do ProSolo. If you are serious about speed its a must for normal solo to. It's just so good. I never thought about PCCB but it may make getting wheels even more challenging if the calipers stick out even further.

Other than the performance things if you plan to live with the car day to day, the GTS sure doesn't come with all the nice luxury options standard so make sure it has an upgraded stereo option or you can't even bluetooth stream music. Porsche entry and drive is also really convenient and I can't understand what its not standard on a GTS or picked by everyone. I have the manual seats and they are pretty good already but the 18 ways were also really nice in the GT4 and in the GTS would get you memory settings which is a nice thing if you have co-drivers etc. I'd take ventilated seats for the comfort at hot autocross days even for the weight

My wheels are Bronze...and a lot darker than I pictured when I ordered.
I have the standard stereo option on my GTS and I can stream and have the telephone option with Bluetooth. Your cell phone has to be able to run two bluetooth devices simultaneously. I hear that the iPhone's cannot run two bluetooth devices at the same time.

Quick Reply: 981 SCCA AStreet Wheel options for 19"