Notices

STU 987.1 Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 05:06 PM
steguis
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default STU 987.1 Build

I picked up my 07 Cayman S towards the end of summer last year with the intent of running it BS. It had all the right options, PASM, Sports Chrono, etc. I put on a GT3 front sway bar, Tarrett engineering drop links, Porsche Motorsports AoS and the usual OZ Allegherita 18x8.5, 18x10 and 265/285 tires and ran it the rest of the year and enjoyed it but driving it around normally I felt the car was lacking. The shifter felt sloppy. The sound with the stock exhaust was kinda bleh (muted I guess is how I'd best describe it) and I frankly just felt something was "missing". Coming from the world of Street Prepared and Street Touring, I was really hoping to enjoy a Street Class car but to be honest with myself I realized that I enjoyed tinkering as much as I loved driving. After putting a "theoretical STU build" together, I eventually pulled the trigger and have now started the progression to STU. I haven't completed my build but I'll say that what I've put on so far has transformed the car. It's become really exciting and more fun to drive. I don't want to repeat what I'm posting in the blog here so I'll just be updating this thread with links to new posts as I make them available. For now here are the two posts to start off with:

Power adders, reliability, and interior upgrades:

- Soul Performance long tube headers with 200-cell HJS cats
- FVD brombacher exhaust
- Numeric racing short shifter
- Function First V2 Trans mounts
- Rennline engine mount
- FVD Motorsports baffled oil pan
- Power Steering cooler
- Alcantara sports steering wheel

https://kaythecayman.blogspot.com/20...ne-safety.html

Tune:

- Custom tune from FVD Motorsports

https://kaythecayman.blogspot.com/20...ore-power.html

I know that given the options in STU, the 987.2 with PDK would be the more competitive trim to run but at the end of the day autocross for me is about having fun with my cars and modding my car to what makes me happy both during normal "spirited" street driving and at an autocross is really what it's about.

Last edited by steguis; 01-07-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:51 PM
toptier
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking forward to this build.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:30 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

PDK will almost always be faster, but it's never as much fun as manual in my opinion. Especially on many autocross courses where you might not even leave 2nd gear, I know I'll have more fun rowing my own gears to and from events.

Depending on your climate and how long you'll be pushing the car before letting it cool down, you might want to consider a 3rd radiator as well.

Best of luck and I look forward to future plans with this build.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:16 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes! Love this, I think we'll see quite a few STU 987s.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:48 AM
steguis
Advanced

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT
Depending on your climate and how long you'll be pushing the car before letting it cool down, you might want to consider a 3rd radiator as well.
Unfortunately, a 3rd radiator is not legal in STU trim.

On a related note, what do people do to keep their engine cool between runs? Normally I'd just "pop the hood" but that's obviously not a thing in our cars (at least not to any effect). Last year I'd just leave the car running to let the coolant and oil circulate. Is that the right thing to do? I presume just shutting the engine off isn't better from a thermodynamics perspective since it's enclosed and gets no natural air around it for cooling.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:56 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

The best thing you can do is to coast around for about 5 minutes to let the car cool down with moving air.
But with most autocross configurations, you only have a parking lot, so let the car continue to run for about 5 minutes before turning it off.
Never shut it off right after a hard run; I've seen damage occur at track days from people not letting coolant circulate.
Just make sure you give the car enough time to get up to temperature before the next run.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:59 AM
steguis
Advanced

Thanks yea, that makes sense. That's generally what I do. During the colder months, I'll usually just leave it running so that the engine stays warm. In the hotter months, I've been debating the merits of leaving it running vs shutting it down after a few minutes of letting things circulate.

Trending Topics

Old 01-08-2019, 09:40 AM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 120 Posts

Good luck with the build! I can't wait to see it out there this season.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:16 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

What are your suspension plans? Are you going for front camber from the top (plates) or the bottom (gt3 or similar arms)?
Do you think you'll need an LSD?
I'm assuming 265/35-18 square, but what wheel specs?
Old 01-09-2019, 11:23 PM
steguis
Advanced

MCS doubles with GT3 lower arms for camber. Adding a GT3 rear bar to balance out the front. I’m probably going staggered 255/265 on BS spec wheels 18x8.5 18x10. I might add a diff but undecided right now.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:53 PM
steguis
Advanced

Still waiting on parts so for now installed the harness bar I picked up from someone.

https://kaythecayman.blogspot.com/20...rness-bar.html
Old 01-14-2019, 09:08 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

In my ST 986/987 bookmarks folder I have product SPC 72610 saved. Not sure if they undercut the GT3 parts or not price wise right now, but they appear to be ST legal bushing wise.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:18 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

If you are buying new tires now, I'd strongly suggest buying the correct wheels rather than trying to reuse the BS wheels you have. I run 255 RE71Rs (square) on my STX BMW and on 17x9 wheels, they are definitely square but I would prefer them to be on wider wheels yet. I think you will be leaving a lot on the table using 18s and squeezing a 255 onto an 8.5" rim up front.

-Mark
The following users liked this post:
Mark Mullins (06-28-2020)
Old 01-14-2019, 11:11 PM
steguis
Advanced

Unfortunately I ordered a nice set of lightweight wheels about a month before I decided to switch from BS to STU and can't cancel the order now. It's fine though. I've had both an STR S2000 and BSP S2000 so I'm well aware of all kinds of tire fitment. Yes an 18x9 would've been more ideal but it should be just fine on 18x8.5. Even the 265s aren't terribly pinched on them. 255 18s also have shorter sidewalls than 255 17s which should help in some of the steering crispness that I want to get back. We'll see how it works out.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:14 PM
steguis
Advanced

Originally Posted by burglar
In my ST 986/987 bookmarks folder I have product SPC 72610 saved. Not sure if they undercut the GT3 parts or not price wise right now, but they appear to be ST legal bushing wise.
I already have the GT3 arms. Actually all the parts for this build are ordered and on their way or are already with me. It's just a waiting game now. I've been trying to get things done while the weather's been cooperating.

Quick Reply: STU 987.1 Build