Notices

STU 987.1 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 01:13 PM
steguis
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fun first event with MSNE today. Their classes are based on points so I was not really classed appropriately but I was there to get the cobwebs off and make sure everything is working as it should. Car feels really good. I've now got a baseline setting to go with and will do more fine tuning at the TnT this weekend. What a blast to drive compared to BS. Car really turns so much better and puts the power down with a real diff and I'm no longer floating around on stock seats. Now I just need to improve my driving to match the car's abilities.

https://kaythecayman.blogspot.com/20...autocross.html
Old 03-27-2019, 08:54 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

That photo is awesome. Peel that rear right off the bead.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:26 AM
steguis
Advanced

Finally a solid weekend of testing including both dry and full wet conditions between our test and tune on Sat and race day on Sunday. Spent tons of time tweaking the shock settings and finally got it to a point where the car was predictable for my driving style. Raced today and managed to grab a win in the wet. This car can be quite a handful in really wet conditions but I was still quite surprised how relatively easy it was to catch the car.

https://kaythecayman.blogspot.com/20...st-win-of.html
Old 04-01-2019, 08:49 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Did you leave traction control on when it was wet?

I've found in the dry, my lap times are only slightly improved with traction control off. So I tend to just leave it on since it still allows you to hold and slide and isn't anywhere near as invasive as most traction control systems. I figure if it kicks in, I'm over driving the car at that point.

I did a few laps in the rain and left it on, but forgot to turn it off to see if my times would improve.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:07 AM
steguis
Advanced

Traction control is off. I have an OSGiken diff so I don’t want to two fighting for controlling grip. I did accidentally leave it on twice during the test and tune and it was definitely not faster.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:39 AM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I just checked out your blog and saw the access point to adjust the rear suspension, where did you get that? Is it a custom piece or did it come from MCS?

Edit: found it: modified speaker panels:
http://kaythecayman.blogspot.com/201...seat-belt.html

Very cool

Last edited by steved0x; 04-01-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:24 PM
steguis
Advanced

Originally Posted by steved0x
I just checked out your blog and saw the access point to adjust the rear suspension, where did you get that? Is it a custom piece or did it come from MCS?

Edit: found it: modified speaker panels:
http://kaythecayman.blogspot.com/201...seat-belt.html

Very cool
Yep, just got replacement speaker panels so I woudn't cut the original. Cut the hole to get to the adjusters then added some edge guard to make it look clean.

http://kaythecayman.blogspot.com/201...adjusters.html
Old 04-05-2019, 03:36 PM
jimh.mic
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stegus; I sold my 04 Z06 SSR car last week and am buying a 07 Cayman S with the Chrono package. I plan on running in SCCA BS and need to purchase a set of wheels and RE-71's. I see that you were/are running a 18X8 1/s front and a 18X10 rear. Is that legal in SCCA BS? If so what is the justification in case someone asks? Was this an option in 07 in a 19 8 1/2 and 19 W 101/2 and you are doing this by the 1 inch rule? Sorry I'm new to street and have always autox'd on Hoosiers.
and if your OZ wheels are for sale I'm interested.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:00 PM
steguis
Advanced

Yes, the OZ spec is totally BS legal. it's because the 987.1 had an XRR option that was included the following wheels:

8.5x19+55mm
10x19+42mm

Since you can go down in diameter by 1" in street class, the 18x8.5 and 18x10 wheels are legal (with the right offsets). Unfortunately, I sold my OZ wheels/tires just a few weeks ago. For BS related stuff you can look at the blog post I wrote when I got my car last year and prepped it for BS if you're looking for specific things related to that. https://kaythecayman.blogspot.com/20...eet-ready.html
Old 04-05-2019, 04:54 PM
jimh.mic
4th Gear

Thanks a lot. I looked at your B Street log and all of that is really helpful. Now I need to look at this site to figure out how to change my own oil. Do you plan on running Solo Nats this year in Lincoln? If I can get my car setup correctly I will probably be there.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:05 PM
steguis
Advanced

Yep I’ll be at the NJ Pro, the Fingerlakes Tour and Nationals.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:19 PM
steguis
Advanced

So yea, turns out I need to launch at 6000rpm and slip the clutch and then it won't wheel hop IF I get the wheel slip right. Managed the win today but mostly coz I ended up in Bump class. I also need to make the car a bit softer. It reacts too much to bumps unlike my S2000 which I have dialed in. It's enough that it actually forces my foot off the pedals at the worst times.

Full blog post: http://kaythecayman.blogspot.com/201...s-learned.html
Old 05-06-2019, 01:11 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 369 Posts

Man.... that course is bumpy! I still have my S2k but looking to get into a 718 in a couple years. You probably know my buddies J. Reyenga and Z. Barnes.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:15 PM
steguis
Advanced

Yes it's a pretty wavy lot which makes setup tricky. The lot favors softer sprung cars. It's possible to make a car work well there and on concrete in Lincoln. I did that on my BSP S2000 pretty well but these MCS 2WNR shocks seem to not soak up bumps as easily as my Moton triples did. I may have to explore revalving them at some point or possibly considering softer spring rates.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:51 PM
jimh.mic
4th Gear

I ran my new to me 07 Cayman S at the old nationals asphalt site in Topeka last weekend. 2nd on Saturday took first in BS on Sunday. That site is very bumpy and gets sandy off line in the later heats. My car has the stock shocks and it is too soft. Have to wait on it to settle in slaloms. Any suggestions for aftermarket shocks? Wish Koni made a yellow sport single adjustable for it. I've also sent Sam Strano and email for his suggestions. Also after runs I left the car running with the air conditioner running a high so the fans would run. Left it on till they turned off.
Jim Harrison

Quick Reply: STU 987.1 Build