Notices

It it possible to retrofit the sport suspension 718 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 12:49 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts
Default It it possible to retrofit the sport suspension 718 ?

I have a base 2018 Cayman.

Is it possible to retrofit the Sport Suspension ?

Is it just springs or are there other parts necessary ?

Also would it be legal if I kept my base shocks or would I have to get the PASM shocks with the button installed into the console ?

I figure shocks are “free” meaning you could do what you want......thanks !

Any idea how much $$$ to get it done ?
Old 10-01-2018, 03:17 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
I figure shocks are “free” meaning you could do what you want
I can't answer any of your other questions, but about the above, read 13.5.A.5:

Electronically controlled shocks may not be used on vehicles that did not have an option for them from the manufacturer. A full option package upgrade, including OE electronics and other comonents, could be completed to add electronic shocks if they were not installed from the manufacturer.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:29 AM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

I have a base 2018 Cayman.

Is it possible to retrofit the Sport Suspension ?

Is it just springs or are there other parts necessary ?

Also would it be legal if I kept my base shocks or would I have to get the PASM shocks with the button installed into the console ?

I figure shocks are “free” meaning you could do what you want......thanks !

Any idea how much $$$ to get it done ?

Hey Dave,

Sport suspension is different from PASM and I was confused by your question at first.

A very shallow dive into the parts manual shows that the sport suspension (not PASM) consists of at least the following: stabilizer bars (front and rear) bushings and brackets; springs, shock absorbers (struts); front bumpstops (called "additional spring" some places and "stopper" others) but maybe not the rear bump stops, and a different suspension control unit, which is apparently a computer. (Why the sport suspension has one of these at all I don't know.)

Bars are about $215 ea., springs are $260 ea,, shocks are $680 ea., bump stops are $38 ea. the control unit is $523

Retrofitting PASM... talk to Fehr. But, the list of unique parts seems to be very similar to the above list, with slightly different prices, plus you will have some stuff to do on the dash. Even the active suspension (PASM) struts are basically the same price as the standard and sport. Go figure.

Ed
Old 10-04-2018, 08:45 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I did a ton of research into retrofitting PASM to my 987.2S and worked it all out, and even bought and paid for a set of used PASM struts only for the sale to fall through because there was only one set and another salesman sold it to someone else, too. Boo. But then ended up liking how my car handles so well on the OEM suspension that I was afraid to mess with it! It would be difficult to do on a 987.1 or 987.2, but not impossible. I don't know how difficult it would be to retrofit PASM on a 981 or 718.

I'm happy to share my notes and wiring diagrams I compiled, but I still don't know of anyone who's actually attempted it. (I also have two accelerometers, the mounting bracket, and a bunch of wire if anyone needs. I'll sell them cheaper than ebay!)
Old 10-06-2018, 12:31 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Easy Peezy, sell current car and go to dealer and spec the correct car.

Peter
Old 10-18-2018, 02:22 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
I can't answer any of your other questions, but about the above, read 13.5.A.5:

What about 13.5.A.6?

"Vehicles equipped with electronic shocks can replace them with non-electronically-controlled shocks subject to Sections 13.5 and 13.9. Devices may be added to satisfy the ECU that the OEM shocks are still installed; such devices may perform no other function."

I think you could argue that you could just change to the 10mm lower PASM suspension springs and sway bars, and use non-PASM shocks per this rule. So in a way, you're doing the full conversion to PASM and then using the above rule to switch to the non-PASM shocks. Anyone else agree with this interpretation?
Old 10-18-2018, 06:42 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by chriswd62
What about 13.5.A.6?

"Vehicles equipped with electronic shocks can replace them with non-electronically-controlled shocks subject to Sections 13.5 and 13.9. Devices may be added to satisfy the ECU that the OEM shocks are still installed; such devices may perform no other function."

I think you could argue that you could just change to the 10mm lower PASM suspension springs and sway bars, and use non-PASM shocks per this rule. So in a way, you're doing the full conversion to PASM and then using the above rule to switch to the non-PASM shocks. Anyone else agree with this interpretation?
Yes, but fasttack says the electronic bits can't be removed, which means you need to retrofit them to run PASM springs.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:07 AM
911C4GTS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edfishjr
Hey Dave,

Sport suspension is different from PASM and I was confused by your question at first.

A very shallow dive into the parts manual shows that the sport suspension (not PASM) consists of at least the following: stabilizer bars (front and rear) bushings and brackets; springs, shock absorbers (struts); front bumpstops (called "additional spring" some places and "stopper" others) but maybe not the rear bump stops, and a different suspension control unit, which is apparently a computer. (Why the sport suspension has one of these at all I don't know.)

Bars are about $215 ea., springs are $260 ea,, shocks are $680 ea., bump stops are $38 ea. the control unit is $523

Retrofitting PASM... talk to Fehr. But, the list of unique parts seems to be very similar to the above list, with slightly different prices, plus you will have some stuff to do on the dash. Even the active suspension (PASM) struts are basically the same price as the standard and sport. Go figure.

Ed
as far as I know, the base 718 was available with PASM suspension but not
the Sport Suspension.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:12 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Just going to run my base......zero option model.

i got about -1.0 in front
-1.6 in the rear.
This is with the base suspension.

What were you guys with the PASM on the base able to get ?

How about anyone with the S, and sport suspension ?
Old 11-14-2018, 01:47 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 121 Posts

Just going to run my base......zero option model.

i got about -1.0 in front
-1.6 in the rear.
This is with the base suspension.

What were you guys with the PASM on the base able to get ?

How about anyone with the S, and sport suspension ?
The base 718 with PASM (-10mm) gets around -1.5 in the front and -1.8 in the rear. I would assume a bit more with the Sport PASM on the S/GTS, but don't know the specifics.

Quick Reply: It it possible to retrofit the sport suspension 718 ?