SCCA classification help - 987.1 Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 06:14 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts
Default SCCA classification help - 987.1 Cayman

Could use some help here fellas.

If I wanted to run my car with SCCA, which class would I be in? I've had a few people say, "Oh a Cayman? That's A-street" but when I look at the rulebook, I see the 06-08 is "B-street". I assume that this means my class will start with "B" and move "up" as I add mods?

Car is a 2006. Has a 3.4L DFI swap from a 2010. GT3 control arms. JRZ RS-2's. Seats/harnesses/rollbar.

Re: the DFI swap - "Prepared" says: Update/backdate complete components (engine, transmission, etc.) .
"Modified" says: Engine and drivetrain swaps – allowed (engine mfr. must match chassis mfr.)

So am I updated or swapped?

My interpretation says I'd be in B-Street Prepared.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:34 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

BSP is for 986, 987s are in ASP. Because there is a single line covering all 987 in ASP and everything else you've listed should be OK in Street Prepared (you'll want to double-check the fine print), this sounds like an ASP-legal update/backdate.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:15 PM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
I assume that this means my class will start with "B" and move "up" as I add mods?
No, that's not how it works. Cars can jump as they can respond differently to the allowed modifications in the category.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:59 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Ok - thanks. I'll have to ignore the docs I received, because they show different information on how 987.1 and 987.2 are classed.

In the end, I don't really care where the car is classed. As I've learned, most of the "fun" or "typical" mods one does to a car (suspension, exhaust, etc.... like the mods I've done) often tend to over-penalize you when it comes to SCCA AX classifications. I'm going to get my a$$ kicked either way. I just don't want to be in the middle of some protest fiasco.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:39 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

An engine swap is hardly a typical mod, IMO.

As always, the the rulebook is written with the intent of going in the direction of picking the class first, then building the car to the class. Works great for national level competition but kinda bones the tinkerer / hobbyist that just likes to mod for fun.

Going the other way, "I have these random collection of mods, what class am I in?" often doesn't work with the SCCA rulebook. The way to do that is the NASA points-based classing system. Unfortunately, like communism, it works well on paper but not so great in reality.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:00 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by burglar
An engine swap is hardly a typical mod, IMO.

As always, the the rulebook is written with the intent of going in the direction of picking the class first, then building the car to the class. Works great for national level competition but kinda bones the tinkerer / hobbyist that just likes to mod for fun.

Going the other way, "I have these random collection of mods, what class am I in?" often doesn't work with the SCCA rulebook. The way to do that is the NASA points-based classing system. Unfortunately, like communism, it works well on paper but not so great in reality.
Two previous cars I've AX'ed were hosed on rules because of a brake and rim change. Cars were mostly stock otherwise.

I talked to the event registrar for the event I'm running this weekend. She said "No you should be in T-BSP".... I don't even remember seeing that in the rulebook? lol whatever. Just class me so I can run without complaints.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:03 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

For brake only change I'd ask my competitors locally if they'd be cool with me running in the Street class, as there's not a significant performance advantage in AX. Same goes for a lot of simple mods - things like motor mounts or a short shifter that are explicitly illegal in Street but don't provide significant AX benefit. I'm a firm believer, at a local level, in "close enough" classing. Primary goal is to get people out and having fun with cars, and coming back.

Things that don't fall under "close enough" due to having real impact in AX performance: motor swaps, wider than legal wheels, additional camber, track tires in street tire classes, big boost reflashes, etc.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:35 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by burglar
For brake only change I'd ask my competitors locally if they'd be cool with me running in the Street class, as there's not a significant performance advantage in AX. Same goes for a lot of simple mods - things like motor mounts or a short shifter that are explicitly illegal in Street but don't provide significant AX benefit. I'm a firm believer, at a local level, in "close enough" classing. Primary goal is to get people out and having fun with cars, and coming back.

Things that don't fall under "close enough" due to having real impact in AX performance: motor swaps, wider than legal wheels, additional camber, track tires in street tire classes, big boost reflashes, etc.

I imagine that is all, much like other clubs (PCA, BMWCCA, etc) dependent on the region, and the attitude/tone of that regions event(s).

The PCA region here is very much "just have fun". The BMW region is very "Autocross ****" (and self-proclaimed at that).
Old 06-27-2018, 09:02 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
Two previous cars I've AX'ed were hosed on rules because of a brake and rim change. Cars were mostly stock otherwise.

I talked to the event registrar for the event I'm running this weekend. She said "No you should be in T-BSP".... I don't even remember seeing that in the rulebook? lol whatever. Just class me so I can run without complaints.
Sounds like a local street tire class, almost every region has something like that. You'll have BSP pax and be up against other cars that are allowed to run r-comps but are actually running 200TW+ street tires.

Quick Reply: SCCA classification help - 987.1 Cayman