Notices

negative camber vs tire width

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 03:44 PM
AlB43
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default negative camber vs tire width

Wanted to see if anyone has come accrossed an article about these parameters compared. If I have to choose between the two and wonder which could provide more benefit.
​​​​​​
Would it benefit the front end grip more to increase the front camber from -1 to -2 or increase tire width from 235 to 255 if you could only do one or the other?

Both will increase contact patch in the corner but I wonder which will be more impactfull and what is the equivalence? How much tire width would equal negative camber addition?
Old 05-21-2018, 01:20 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I think you have more variables in your question that you are considering, which makes your question a bit of a fruitless one. Or at best the correct answer is likely "it's complicated."

More camber doesn't always equal more grip. There's an ideal amount, and that changes with tire, pressure, surface condition, suspension kinematics, roll rates, and a bunch of other stuff I also don't understand.

More tire also doesn't always equal more grip. One of my cars very clearly uses only the outer 1" of tread in competition. Adding more tire to the same wheel wouldn't help. Adding more wheel width to the same tire might help, as 215s on a 7" are a little pinched.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:19 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

...and there's no doubt your tire cost will be higher with only 1 deg.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:42 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the wheel width increase proportionally with the tire width increase? If so, I'd go with the extra wheel and tire. If not I'd probably go with the extra camber unless 235 is way too little tire for the rim (e.g. the rim is 8.5" wide or wider).

Quick Reply: negative camber vs tire width