Notices

March Tour Events

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 10:56 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default March Tour Events

I'll be at FT Myers Match and Pro running the 40th in AS. I'll also be at Dixie doing the same.

It looks like I will be the Solo Matters reporter for both FT Myers events so if you're there and you have something interesting to share that I can report on, please do!

Who else is attending?
Old 02-25-2018, 05:35 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 227 Posts

I'm going to Dixie. Not sure if I'll be in my car, a 2014 Carrera 4S, in SS or co driving a Ford Focus ST in GS. I'm signed up in GS, because my wife got side swiped in my car, so I'm not sure if I'll have it back in time. Hope so. Only problem there are only 2 cars signed up for SS. Never driven a focus before so that will be interesting if it happens. Either way it's going to be fun and am looking forward to it.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:07 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jwr9152
I'm going to Dixie. Not sure if I'll be in my car, a 2014 Carrera 4S, in SS or co driving a Ford Focus ST in GS. I'm signed up in GS, because my wife got side swiped in my car, so I'm not sure if I'll have it back in time. Hope so. Only problem there are only 2 cars signed up for SS. Never driven a focus before so that will be interesting if it happens. Either way it's going to be fun and am looking forward to it.
I used to own and autocross a Focus ST for a few years in GS. Really fun car to autox so I think you'll have fun in it if you end up driving it. Couple of tips that I'm sure your codriver will convey: I ignore the rear wheels and try to keep the front wheels where I want them. The rear will follow. That's part of the reason the car slaloms so well. Also, you really have to manage the wheel spin. The front wheels will spin any time the wheel is turned even a little bit. It's a different feeling than the 911, which puts down power really well (my other car is a 997 GT3). And the car is really easy to drive in the wet due to FWD.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:52 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Ill be at Dixie and Charlotte in the Vette in BS. The ES 944 will be local only until possibly later in the year.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:23 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew_K
I used to own and autocross a Focus ST for a few years in GS. Really fun car to autox so I think you'll have fun in it if you end up driving it. Couple of tips that I'm sure your codriver will convey: I ignore the rear wheels and try to keep the front wheels where I want them. The rear will follow. That's part of the reason the car slaloms so well. Also, you really have to manage the wheel spin. The front wheels will spin any time the wheel is turned even a little bit. It's a different feeling than the 911, which puts down power really well (my other car is a 997 GT3). And the car is really easy to drive in the wet due to FWD.
Great info thanks. Not sure my codriver will pass along that tidbit. We are good friends, but he's very competitive. LOL. Looking forward to driving the Focus, but this will make two years in a row I show up to Dixie driving a car I've never driven before. I finally had my car set up pretty good and was hoping to see how it would compare against top SS cars. Looks like all the SS cars moved to SSR. But any chance I get to hang out with friends, having fun driving cars and talking cars I'll take it.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:36 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Ouch, being dirty in the first two runs hurts. Make it up in the afternoon, Ash!
Old 03-05-2018, 10:47 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

yeah I goofed up the morning by not having heat cycled my new pair of rear bridgestones any more than just a bit of street driving. But, sometimes real life gets in the way of autocross.

Once I got the mold release cooked off, the car hooked up and was a rocket in the afternoon sessions. For the afternoon I think I PAX'd 24th out of all 97 drivers which is pretty good for me; I would've been third behind Jason Ruggles and Greg Shumaker. Not bad company to keep!

I had a good time and it was a good warm up for Pro. I was MUCH closer to Ruggles this year than last. I attribute most of that to going back to stock swaybars: that rear bar sure was fun but it wasn't fast.

For the Pro this weekend, I get a ~0.5 second head start off the launch over the rest of AS. I think that might be enough to cement a win!

I'm still headed to Dixie and I actually signed up for Charlotte too because why not
Old 03-07-2018, 11:40 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Also of note is that on stock swaybars on RE71Rs on concrete I was definitely still picking up the inside front tire at certain times. Lots of grip out there!
Old 03-10-2018, 07:37 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

So riddle me this: I drove okay this morning in the dry and was a tenth combined left and right courses out of trophies and about 1.5s combined out of first. Which is to say that with a couple hero runs I could snag a first or second spot. This is about how I was last weekend too; doing really well but not quite in the top spots.

This afternoon it rained, not a lot but enough that some standing water formed. For the afternoon times I CRUSHED everyone. I was over a second ahead of the next person per side, so my combined time was way ahead. The Camaro guys said their car was undrivable but the 911 seemed fine.

I really can’t explain it as these guys are all ridiculously good drivers. Is there something about the rear engine format that is helping in the wet?
Old 03-10-2018, 07:44 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
So riddle me this: I drove okay this morning in the dry and was a tenth combined left and right courses out of trophies and about 1.5s combined out of first. Which is to say that with a couple hero runs I could snag a first or second spot. This is about how I was last weekend too; doing really well but not quite in the top spots.

This afternoon it rained, not a lot but enough that some standing water formed. For the afternoon times I CRUSHED everyone. I was over a second ahead of the next person per side, so my combined time was way ahead. The Camaro guys said their car was undrivable but the 911 seemed fine.

I really can’t explain it as these guys are all ridiculously good drivers. Is there something about the rear engine format that is helping in the wet?
The extra weight over the rear wheels really helps us put power down, which is especially important for ProSolo. Higher hp cars lose their hp advantage when it becomes traction limited; the Corvettes already struggle with too much power in the dry and it becomes even more difficult in the rain. Super wide Z06 tires will hydroplane easy, too.

As for the times... it's the best left and right of the weekend, not of the session, so despite kicking *** in the wet, you're still a tenth out of the trophies. It's only a tenth- can you find it tomorrow morning??
Old 03-10-2018, 10:02 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Yeah being fast in the rain is no help at a Pro. I definitely can find a tenth or more; I felt like I drove pretty pedestrian this morning. I didn’t think about hydroplaning being worse on the corvettes but it makes sense since they are running much wider front tires. I do love the 911 at a ProSolo. It absolutely dominates everything off the line
Old 03-13-2018, 08:53 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

I didn’t find enough time Sunday to make the Super Challenge but I did get drawn for and won the Bonus Challenge. The dial in was pretty extreme: I had to wait 5 seconds to launch on some of my matches
Old 03-13-2018, 12:16 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

5 seconds? Were you paired with HS or SSC or something?
Old 03-13-2018, 01:51 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Yeah one was an ES Miata and the other was something similar. At the match tour I got paired with a fiat 500 and my dial in was 7-8 seconds
Old 03-13-2018, 01:58 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

I mostly wanted to make that SSC joke.

Quick Reply: March Tour Events