Notices

March Tour Events

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 08:10 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Got a solid first run in despite cold tires. Tried to really push it 110% for the next two runs and goofed then both so I am way back in 10th. The 1LE guys are crushing it and they are definitely keeping the 1LE in AS single-handedly. Greg and Terry would be obliterating BS in the car. Of course plenty of strong corvette showing still. And Ed was there in BS it was nice to see you as always
Old 03-18-2018, 10:29 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

And SSC has got some hot shoes in it out here this weekend!
Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Got a solid first run in despite cold tires. Tried to really push it 110% for the next two runs and goofed then both so I am way back in 10th. The 1LE guys are crushing it and they are definitely keeping the 1LE in AS single-handedly. Greg and Terry would be obliterating BS in the car. Of course plenty of strong corvette showing still. And Ed was there in BS it was nice to see you as always
Got to see your first run and it did look good. I drove terrible all weekend. I was really slow and coned away my first two runs on Saturday and had a slow safe run on my third. Sunday had a DNF on my first run and coned away my 2nd and 3rd run. Got down to the 47's, but needed to be in the 46's. Still had fun. I'll do better next time. Sorry I didn't get to meet you in person.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:45 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

After much heartache, I said screw it and decided to take the 911 to the match tour in Charlotte also. I had lined up a GS codrive (thanks Aditya!) but couldn't bear the thought of wrong wheel drive when the 911 was ready to go. Hopefully Aditya is or will soon be on Rennlist since his dad just bought a 996 C4S and he just bought a BS 987.1 Cayman S.

I saw how big the AS crowd was and just couldn't resist the potential to "disrupt" them . And it looks like it might rain, which is good news for me over the big V8 guys. With any luck, it'll downpour, I'll pull a huge win, and then immediately get the 40th bumped back to SS

I'll be getting my cayenne turbo back also (thanks marky522 for getting my variocam bolt recall done), so happy days.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:40 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Old 03-31-2018, 02:39 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

So riddle me this...cleaned my line up and ran a 61.9 during the challenge round qualifier. That gave me a pax time that was good for 22nd in my heat, not fast enough for the challenge. It would have put me around 10-13 in any of the other 3 heats, enough to qualify for the underdog.

bill bostic ran a 59.49 in his AS C5z06 to clench the top pax spot in heat 1.

So I ran an okay time; enough to qualify in the other heats at least, and Bill was TWO AND A HALF SECONDS ahead of me! I mean that is an autocross eternity. He and his codricer John wolf just destroyed AS this weekend.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:23 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
So riddle me this...cleaned my line up and ran a 61.9 during the challenge round qualifier. That gave me a pax time that was good for 22nd in my heat, not fast enough for the challenge. It would have put me around 10-13 in any of the other 3 heats, enough to qualify for the underdog.

bill bostic ran a 59.49 in his AS C5z06 to clench the top pax spot in heat 1.

So I ran an okay time; enough to qualify in the other heats at least, and Bill was TWO AND A HALF SECONDS ahead of me! I mean that is an autocross eternity. He and his codricer John wolf just destroyed AS this weekend.
Yeah, those guys are quick! They're great competition, though.

I'll shoot Aditya a message on Facebook, I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen him yet here, too.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:33 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Heat 1 had all the Street classes in it and the most people still running on Saturday compared to the other heats. The times show that for the top 25 at least, the Street classes are much more closely bunched than the classes in the other heats.

A few explanations come to mind.

1) the driving level drops off faster in the other classes (if you assume PAX is accurate)... looks like about 1second slower pax time (over 2 runs added together) by #25 for the other 3 heats as compared to heat 1.

2) you could claim that the level of car prep is more diverse in the other non-Street groups, i.e. many of the cars in ST, SP, P, CAM, etc are driven by people just as accomplished but are not in a fully prepared car so they are held back. By a pax second.

3) you could claim that PAX is not accurate!

Actually, if anything, PAX penalizes the Street classes. IMHO it always has since DOT-R's were relegated out. This is so well recognized that at many tours people now look for and talk about who got 'top Street PAX" because they know that comparing the street Classes to the others is bogus. (or more bogus than usual). This would argue for #1, above, even more strongly.

4) you could argue that the participation in a match tour is not representative, i.e. the result is skewed as compared to champ tours or nationals. You'd have to explain how the skewness works to make Street look better than all the others.

Last edited by edfishjr; 03-31-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:55 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

I absolutely think PAX favors the street classes; almost anyone can fully "build" a street class car, so you're always getting your money's worth for PAX.

I looked at my PAX time vs some other names that I knew and honestly I think there are just a ton of hot shoes in AS, CS, and ES. I feel like 61.9 was pretty good actually, it's just Bill Bostic bent time and space to get a 59.4. I added him on facebook and watched his vids. The C5Z is so drama-free with him behind the wheel. Partly due to the car but I'm sure also due to him driving smoothly. He is a test driver for Michelin after all.

I want to get some fast guys to run my car at a few local events, and me drive their cars too. I want to believe that the 996 is too fast for BS (even if it might be too slow for AS).
Old 04-02-2018, 09:03 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a hard time believing that the 996 is too fast for BS. It's got a bit more power than a Cayman S, but I imagine it's dynamically interior due to its rear-engine layout.

BS has gotten a lot more powerful recently (M2, Focus RS), and there's a proposal to make it yet more powerful with the introduction of GT350 and Camaro 1LE. In that company, the 996 actually looks pretty wimpy in a straight line.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:13 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

The rear-engine layout has some cons, but also has some pros, and the extra rear weight comes with extra rear wheels & tire to balance it out vs mid-engine. 996 and 987.2S both seem much more appropriate in BS than AS, but I doubt it will happen any time soon because if they end up so much as a tenth of a second faster than the present favorites, it risks upsetting a popular class.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:32 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, when the 987.1S was proposed for BS, I wrote a letter (19430) requesting that the 996 be moved along with it. It wasn't, which shows that keeping it in AS was a conscious decision rather than an oversight.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:55 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what makes a 996 GT3 wholly capable of keeping up with a featherweight / megapower / megawheel C6Z in SSR but a "regular" 996 is closer to BS speed?
Old 04-03-2018, 09:29 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Originally Posted by burglar
Just out of curiosity, what makes a 996 GT3 wholly capable of keeping up with a featherweight / megapower / megawheel C6Z in SSR but a "regular" 996 is closer to BS speed?
mostly CAMBER!

I can get a whopping 0.6 degrees up front. GT3s are not only lower, lighter, and more rigid, but their LSD is a bit better and they have way more adjustment range for camber since they have adjustable lower arms. I believe they may be allowed to run the strut mounts in the "track" position too for more camber as well, like the -3 degree range. The extra 1000 RPM and 40ish hp doesn't hurt either.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:11 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Kinda what I was getting at - so an ST 996 theoretically would be real fast.

Quick Reply: March Tour Events