Notices

....a Porsche leading SCCA B Street at Nationals day 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 06:21 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew_K
How would you option a 981 / 981S? I'm assuming PDK for the quicker shifting and ability to go to first if needed, Sport Chrono for launch control, and PASM? I don't think you can get the Sport Suspension with PASM. It's one or the other, as I recall.

I recently picked up a 981S with PDK, Sport Chrono, and PASM. I didn't buy it with autocross in mind, but I would like to see it in AS rather than SS.
I spent way too much time on Porsche's configurator building that competitive 981, lol. PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM, and PTV, with lightweight everything else. I daresay this particular combination will be a unicorn because for the same money you could have bought a 981S. Much like a 981S with these options is pushed into 911 territory. There were at least a large number of 981S launch editions built with those options, though.

You have all the must-have options on your car, I'm jealous!
Old 02-04-2018, 10:00 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I spent way too much time on Porsche's configurator building that competitive 981, lol. PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM, and PTV, with lightweight everything else. I daresay this particular combination will be a unicorn because for the same money you could have bought a 981S. Much like a 981S with these options is pushed into 911 territory. There were at least a large number of 981S launch editions built with those options, though.

You have all the must-have options on your car, I'm jealous!
There are a decent number of "S" cars with the performance options, so my car wasn't too hard to find (although I did drive 4 hours to pick it up). The options do add up quickly, as you point out. For my car, the options added nearly 50% to the base price. Crazy.

I bought the car having no idea it was being considered for the move to AS. It won't be the top car in AS, but at least it would be better classed. I just submitted a letter to the SEB in support. Hopefully it goes through.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:48 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 120 Posts

There are a decent number of "S" cars with the performance options, so my car wasn't too hard to find (although I did drive 4 hours to pick it up). The options do add up quickly, as you point out. For my car, the options added nearly 50% to the base price. Crazy.

I bought the car having no idea it was being considered for the move to AS. It won't be the top car in AS, but at least it would be better classed. I just submitted a letter to the SEB in support. Hopefully it goes through.
If this class change goes through, I think the best Porsche A Street setup would be a Cayman GTS w/PDK, X73 and PTV, which shouldn't be too hard to find. Put on some 19x8.5/10s, with 255/285s, a front bar, and you've got a decent setup. If you really want to go the extra mile, add some custom valved triple adjustable race shocks for that extra level of tuning. The PCCB would be nice to get every last bit of competitive edge, but not a must have IMO.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:58 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chriswd62
If this class change goes through, I think the best Porsche A Street setup would be a Cayman GTS w/PDK, X73 and PTV, which shouldn't be too hard to find. Put on some 19x8.5/10s, with 255/285s, a front bar, and you've got a decent setup. If you really want to go the extra mile, add some custom valved triple adjustable race shocks for that extra level of tuning. The PCCB would be nice to get every last bit of competitive edge, but not a must have IMO.
Why replace the front bar instead of the rear bar? I was thinking that the car would tend to understeer, so a stiffer rear bar would help in that respect.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:34 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Why replace the front bar instead of the rear bar? I was thinking that the car would tend to understeer, so a stiffer rear bar would help in that respect.
It's counter intuitive, but going a little stiffer in the front helps decrease understeer, too, by limiting dynamic camber loss. It helps plant the rear end in the process, too, improving grip all-around. A rear sway will reduce understeer, but at the expense of wheelspin on corner exit. Conventional wisdom is to go with a front bar (that what Ryan Clark and I both did, and just about everyone else.) Most people who have tried the rear bar have admitted it was a mistake.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:26 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by chriswd62
Careful: Triples are not legal in Street. Only doubles.

The reason the GTS is on the same line is because it is not thought to be an advantage. If people write in that it is an advantage for autocross over a properly optioned S it will probably be removed from the line. (So, maybe folks shouldn't go buy one for SCCA autocross just yet.)
Old 02-06-2018, 02:16 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by edfishjr
Careful: Triples are not legal in Street. Only doubles.

The reason the GTS is on the same line is because it is not thought to be an advantage. If people write in that it is an advantage for autocross over a properly optioned S it will probably be removed from the line. (So, maybe folks shouldn't go buy one for SCCA autocross just yet.)
Good catch. Thanks.

I personally don't think the GTS should be held back from the move to AS (assuming it actually happens). The only difference from the S is an additional 15 hp, so it's not that much of an advantage. I rather see the Caymans/Boxsters classed better, even if it makes my base 718 the underdog in AS.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:21 AM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I do not understand why the Cayman R and Boxster Spyder are not included in the proposal to move the 981 S/GTS model from SS to AS. The R and Spyder are great cars for sure, but they are hopelessly buried in SS and have the same performance characteristics as the GTS models. Curious if anyone can explain the rationale for keeping the R/Spyder is SS?

Cheers,
DJM
Old 02-09-2018, 01:00 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

With the switch from "Stock" to "Street" the rationale changed a little. Cars used to be classed under the "best of breed" philosophy. Played to the advantage of those who could find and afford the low volume specials.

In Street the idea was to class the most common variant correctly, and class the special models up, effectively burying them in a few cases. See the MS-R, z0k, and S2000CR for examples. All smart moves, IMO.

While I agree a Cayman R / 987 Spyder likely aren't class killers in AS, a lot of classing changes are weighed in a risk / reward basis. Porsches have been shown time and time again to just not show up, even when classed competitively. You can get a BS Cayman S, which won tours, pros, and nats in 2017, for very little money. Like 4 people are running them. Super rare, expensive versions of that car won't be a benefit to any class.

If you disagree, write a letter. Most effective letters have backing data from multiple sources PLUS a good argument why your proposed change would be a benefit to the class / club as a whole.

In all fairness the talent pool is a little more shallow in SS anyways - AS is stocked with a lot of talent that couldn't resist the nice and cheap z06s...
Old 02-09-2018, 01:23 PM
jmazz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djm68
I do not understand why the Cayman R and Boxster Spyder are not included in the proposal to move the 981 S/GTS model from SS to AS. The R and Spyder are great cars for sure, but they are hopelessly buried in SS and have the same performance characteristics as the GTS models. Curious if anyone can explain the rationale for keeping the R/Spyder is SS?

Cheers,
DJM
I totally agree. It always hurt that the R and Spyder were buried in SS instead of running with the other 987.2s. But I understood they didn't want a limited model to become the car to have in AS. The 981S with the options discussed above has all the advantages of the R and Spyder, so that is no longer an issue. I have already submitted a note on the topic and hope you do the same.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:46 PM
djm68
Racer

Originally Posted by jmazz
I totally agree. It always hurt that the R and Spyder were buried in SS instead of running with the other 987.2s. But I understood they didn't want a limited model to become the car to have in AS. The 981S with the options discussed above has all the advantages of the R and Spyder, so that is no longer an issue. I have already submitted a note on the topic and hope you do the same.
I'll gladly send a note as well. I am an SCCA member...where do I submit comments? I've not written letters before.

Thanks,
DJM
Old 02-09-2018, 01:55 PM
jmazz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll gladly send a note as well. I am an SCCA member...where do I submit comments? I've not written letters before.

Thanks,
DJM
Great.
From the Fastrack:
Comments regarding items published herein should be directed via the website www.soloeventsboard.com

And I referenced the specific item:
#23593 Moving Porsche Cayman S & GTS
Old 02-09-2018, 03:52 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

https://www.crbscca.com/

EDIT: Oh wait I didn't know the above url worked too. Neat.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:52 PM
djm68
Racer

Letter sent this morning supporting the 981 S/GTS move to AS and a request to bring the 987.2 R/Spyder along as well.

Cheers,
DJM
Old 02-10-2018, 06:22 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Letter sent this morning supporting the 981 S/GTS move to AS and a request to bring the 987.2 R/Spyder along as well.
Did you follow burglar's advice?

Originally Posted by burglar
Most effective letters have backing data from multiple sources PLUS a good argument why your proposed change would be a benefit to the class / club as a whole.
If so, what was your argument for how moving the Cayman R and Boxster Spyder to AS would benefit the class and club as a whole?

One thing burglar didn't mention is that letters that rely on arguments that begin "I want..." or "it isn't fair that my car..." generally receive some (well deserved, in my opinion) skepticism.

Last edited by PedalFaster; 02-10-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: ....a Porsche leading SCCA B Street at Nationals day 1