Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Bench Testing for PCM1 Head Unit (986 Becker BE2580)

Old 05-29-2017, 03:20 PM
Tuscdragon
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bench Testing for PCM1 Head Unit (986 Becker BE2580)

~ If there is an already existing thread for properly testing Becker double din PCM1 units prior to installing, for refurbishing, or due to upgrading components, please let me know and I'll redirect my research efforts there. Otherwise, this is my first post, after years of stalking these threads... here we go! ~

How might one properly prepare a bench test station to prove a used double din Porsche PCM1 prior to installation?

I've ordered a used Becker/ Siemens BE2580 to replace my old, heavily worn (but functional) BE2562 and would like to test it out prior to installation. Also, it would come in very handy for possible future projects of PCM1 refurbishments or component upgrades (which I've recently discovered and am kind of excited about). If I could get a proper bench test set up, I might go ahead and seek out the upgrade kit (card, harness, and components) to change the unit from a SIM card over to a bluetooth system before putting it into the dash.

My husband is great with electronics and could set up a basic bench test for a standard radio, but I know my car well and although the basics are the same, there is almost always a special twist on the process to do it correctly (which is almost always includes a "why doesn't everyone do this" epiphany) and I like to do heavy research prior to any project.

Any thoughts?

(addtl. Info: I have radio code for BE2580, but not for 5WK7800 navi, which I’ll work on getting later; both units are PCM1 and pre-MOST harness; both units are double din)

In the end, if this BE2580 doesn’t work out, I could always lean on refurbishing my trusty old BE2562 and re-installing it. I’ve still got all of the original code cards to it and everything, so it’s always a fail-safe (although the buttons have zero paint left on them and the screen is terribly scratched up).

Last edited by Tuscdragon; 05-29-2017 at 03:22 PM. Reason: grammar corrections
Old 06-05-2019, 10:54 AM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCM1 Bench test

Originally Posted by Tuscdragon
~ If there is an already existing thread for properly testing Becker double din PCM1 units prior to installing, for refurbishing, or due to upgrading components, please let me know and I'll redirect my research efforts there. Otherwise, this is my first post, after years of stalking these threads... here we go! ~

How might one properly prepare a bench test station to prove a used double din Porsche PCM1 prior to installation?

I've ordered a used Becker/ Siemens BE2580 to replace my old, heavily worn (but functional) BE2562 and would like to test it out prior to installation. Also, it would come in very handy for possible future projects of PCM1 refurbishments or component upgrades (which I've recently discovered and am kind of excited about). If I could get a proper bench test set up, I might go ahead and seek out the upgrade kit (card, harness, and components) to change the unit from a SIM card over to a bluetooth system before putting it into the dash.

My husband is great with electronics and could set up a basic bench test for a standard radio, but I know my car well and although the basics are the same, there is almost always a special twist on the process to do it correctly (which is almost always includes a "why doesn't everyone do this" epiphany) and I like to do heavy research prior to any project.

Any thoughts?

(addtl. Info: I have radio code for BE2580, but not for 5WK7800 navi, which I’ll work on getting later; both units are PCM1 and pre-MOST harness; both units are double din)

In the end, if this BE2580 doesn’t work out, I could always lean on refurbishing my trusty old BE2562 and re-installing it. I’ve still got all of the original code cards to it and everything, so it’s always a fail-safe (although the buttons have zero paint left on them and the screen is terribly scratched up).

Am attempting to do same, did you ever get an answer to your question or figure out how to do it ? Would appreciate any info you could provide ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bench Testing for PCM1 Head Unit (986 Becker BE2580)