2014 Tiguan Audio Question - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.

2014 Tiguan Audio Question

Old 07-13-2016, 02:16 PM
19VFB19
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default 2014 Tiguan Audio Question

I have a 2014 VW Tiguan with factory standard audio system.
AM FM and Sat Radio sound like absolute crap.
CD sounds great.
Streaming audio thru bluetooth sounds great.
I dont understand how streaming from my phone sounds so much better than FM or Sat functions.
Anything I can do other than replace the radio unit?
It doesnt make alot of sense how streaming can sound so much better.
Thnks
Old 07-13-2016, 02:36 PM
jennifer911
User

Sat radio is licensed for a fixed amount of bandwidth. because they went from 50 channels to 100 to 150 channels they have had to keep compressing the bandwidth more and more for each channel. The more popular channels are allocated a little more than the fringe ones, but the fidelity suffers greatly even though you get great reception. FM radio on the other hand offers great fidelity, but depending on the area you drive in the reception may be poor.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:47 PM
12v Nick
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sat and FM will always sound worse than streaming bluetooth from a portable device. You have to consider the fact that you're listening to an analog signal with both of those technologies, opposed to listening to a full quality digital file over a digital streaming technology. With A2DP and AptX bluetooth profiles it can be tough to discern an audible difference between a CD/USB connection and a bluetooth stream — at least on a factory stereo.

Bottom line, if you want better audio quality look into streaming apps like Pandora, Spotify, or Tidal to run from your smart phone.

"I would rather be able to appreciate things I can not have than to have things I am not able to appreciate" - Elbert Hubbard

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Tiguan Audio Question

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: