Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 05:33 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX Stereo Upgrade

A few guys commented on my original post about my stereo upgrade that I was planning soon after purchasing my 911 GTS. I have attached photos of the job. Custom Car Stereo in Houston did a fabulous job of making it look as stock as possible. For less than the Burmester, I was able to get my new stereo plus a few extra goodies. Currently, I had my Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX that I had in my Cayman GTS installed in this car. I am driving the stock speakers with a JL Audio XD/600/6 that produces 600 W of power. It is amazing how much better they sound with a clean amp. I am driving my JL Audio TW5v2 13" subwoofer with JL Audio XD600/1v2 600 W for a total of 1,200 W. My Pioneer can play FLAC (192/24) and ALAC (48/24). I took pictures with the rear seats up and down. As you can see, it does not impair my view through my rear window. I do not notice the sub through my rear view mirror unless I try to look for it. I also had them install my Valentine 1 with a concealed module and Bluetooth dongle. When you run custom sweeps on the V1 and I am Beta-testing a new iPhone app for the V1, it cuts down unnecessary beeps to a minimum. I also had them install AL Priority "Parking Sensors". Sorry for the dusty image on the concealed ALP module.
Attached Images         
Old 02-27-2016, 07:38 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

How do you control the stock aspects that regular unit controlled? Does navigation still appear in the cluster?
Old 02-27-2016, 08:25 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

That is one thing you lose. It is a small price to pay because I have Apply Play. I can see Navigation better on my 7" screen. Also, Pioneer has its own Navigation application. Finally, I can even use Google Maps. In the end, it is much better than anything that little 3" screen could show. I do lose "Audio" and "Phone" on the cluster but, again, that is not that big of a deal. This unit rocks because I can store all my music on a 128 GB SD card and that allow me to either burn my music at CD quality (44.1/16) to what I purchased from HDtracks at up to 192/24.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:21 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Interesting, must say it is pretty rare to see someone replace the headunit on a new 991. In fact not sure if I've seen it done at all although there are certainly a few that have done stereo upgrades.

Got any better pics of the new headunit? Kinda hard to see without flash in your pics above...
Old 02-27-2016, 11:18 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by Vise
Interesting, must say it is pretty rare to see someone replace the headunit on a new 991. In fact not sure if I've seen it done at all although there are certainly a few that have done stereo upgrades.

Got any better pics of the new headunit? Kinda hard to see without flash in your pics above...
I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post. Interesting that Suncoast sells a Double Din Trim for aftermarket stereos so there must be others that have done this.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:19 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Not a bad kit. We've used it on occasion.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:37 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

What about the car related PCM features, like car settings? Is all of that available through the MFD? What about the MFD features like Nav (2 screens), phone, and audio?

I like the idea of FLAC up to 24:192, interested to learn what you are losing in the compromise.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:46 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

You do not lose any other functions other than Navigation, Phone, and what is actually playing on the radio. You still see setting, tire pressure, etc. I have attached some better pics of my system. Listen to Hi-Rez FLAC or ALAC will make you forget any function you lost. I do not recommend getting the steering wheel controls because when you scroll through it to look at different functions, you change your song/station and vise-versa. It became annoying so I disabled that feature when I had it installed in my 911.
Attached Images        
Old 02-28-2016, 02:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

All in, what did this cost you?
Old 02-28-2016, 03:49 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by Archimedes
All in, what did this cost you?
It's kind of hard to say because they did other things including installing my AL Priority "Parking Sensors" and Rennline Mesh grills but I can give you a rough estimate.

Pioneer AVIC-8000 NEX with a backup camera, 600 W amp, DIN plate, and necessary parts including tax was $2,650. The reverse camera from Porsche was over $1,000.

Subwoofer, amp, and necessary parts including tax was $1,400

Installation for the stereo, back up camera, amps, and create the subwoofer box including tax was approximately $1,500.

Total: $5,550.00

If you purchase the Burmester and include tax on the stereo, it would cost in Texas over $5,700. Add another $1,100 or so for the backup camera through Porsche. The Burmester does come close in total wattage and cannot play FLAC or ALAC (at least to the best of my knowledge). In addition, no Apple Car Play. All in all, I am very happy with the system. Everyone that has heard it tells me that the Bose or Burmester doesn't even come close and that is with Porsche's stock speakers. I might eventually change out the 3-ways in the door panel for either Hertz or Morel but I will see how the system sounds over the next year as my speakers break in.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:06 PM
MasterJohn
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice move, DrCGuerra. Attacking the source of music, and sacrificing some stock features is not a bad trade, if you are a true music lover.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:48 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by MasterJohn
Nice move, DrCGuerra. Attacking the source of music, and sacrificing some stock features is not a bad trade, if you are a true music lover.
Thanks. While I love the sound of my GTS, I also love the sound of great music. My system easily drowns out the engine noise without trying so I can get the best of both worlds, depending on my mood.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:22 AM
Six One
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCGuerra
You do not lose any other functions other than Navigation, Phone, and what is actually playing on the radio. You still see setting, tire pressure, etc.

Hi, I just upgraded to the AVIC-8200 in my 997 GTS. When you say you see tire pressure, etc., is this through the AVIC or in your instrument cluster? I currently don't see any car settings in my AVIC.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:35 AM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by Six One
Hi, I just upgraded to the AVIC-8200 in my 997 GTS. When you say you see tire pressure, etc., is this through the AVIC or in your instrument cluster? I currently don't see any car settings in my AVIC.
Through the instrument cluster.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:25 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

2 things I like about .2: new head unit & new steering wheel. And you just crossed one off!

No doubt about it now, .1 for the win

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX Stereo Upgrade