Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 02:00 PM
Six One
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCGuerra
Through the instrument cluster.

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2016, 02:51 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c_Gio
2 things I like about .2: new head unit & new steering wheel. And you just crossed one off! No doubt about it now, .1 for the win
Yup.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:23 AM
mathgeek
AutoX

I'm considering a similar upgrade primarily for CarPlay. Does the pioneer retain the moving guidelines for the rear view camera? I find them helpful. Thanks for the information on your install.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:48 AM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Yes they do. I find them helpful, too.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:13 PM
porsche_love
Advanced

Very interesting setup. I noticed you came from a few generations of M3s, I too have had e46 M3, e90 M3, and recently traded in my e92 M3 for the 991 C2S, in Houston as well. Maybe I'll see you around Doc. Cheers.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:43 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

A bunch of us get together monthly at Cars & Coffee. We meet every first Saturday of the month at Memorial City Mall. Got to get there early. Look for a GT Silver and White 991 GTS. That will be me and my friend.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:44 PM
porsche_love
Advanced

Originally Posted by DrCGuerra
A bunch of us get together monthly at Cars & Coffee. We meet every first Saturday of the month at Memorial City Mall. Got to get there early. Look for a GT Silver and White 991 GTS. That will be me and my friend.
Yes sir I will if I ever make it again. It has been over a year since I have gone to a cars and coffee, because I work on Saturday mornings...but who knows, I might see you around town. Mine is a 991.1 C2S, white with gunmetal wheels, Aerokit Cup, Misha Rear bumper etc.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:04 PM
Wlin
Rennlist Member

Does your head unit stay powered on when you turn the car off (but leave the doors closed)? Like how it does stock. Mine turns off now and the shop is telling me that there's nothing that can be done.

"European cars do not have an ignition/ turn on wire they use the fiber optic or a series of signals from can bus to turn things on and off via the computer and relays"
Old 08-15-2016, 06:51 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by Wlin
Does your head unit stay powered on when you turn the car off (but leave the doors closed)? Like how it does stock. Mine turns off now and the shop is telling me that there's nothing that can be done.

"European cars do not have an ignition/ turn on wire they use the fiber optic or a series of signals from can bus to turn things on and off via the computer and relays"
No. It turns off. What I do is turn the ignition "on" without turning the car on. I then turn off the A/C so that I do not run down the battery.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:41 AM
jbendaou
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 991.1 as well and thought i'd replace the PCM with the Pioneer. I just want a new updated GPS with maps, a better iPhone integration and of course the backup camera. id rather keep my car with OEM equipment but the features added of the Pioneer are too great to pass on.
I found a local store willing to buy/install the Pioneer 8201NEX for $2200. Two question if you dont mind:
Do you regret installing the pioneer?
In real life, does it look like those 3rd party "radio add-ons" you install on your car and looks good but not right. Am i making sense?
And last does xm radio work with carplay? does anyone know?

Do you have any input you can share about your experience with that system?

thanks.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:51 AM
LTP
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If don't regret installing pioneer deck, with CarPlay and suncoast mounting bracket, it looks quite stock. But I had a choice, I would keep the PCM and use mirror imaging with iPhone. Google map just better than Apple map. And service centre told me that PCM controls a lot of electronics components in your car.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:32 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by jbendaou
I have a 991.1 as well and thought i'd replace the PCM with the Pioneer. I just want a new updated GPS with maps, a better iPhone integration and of course the backup camera. id rather keep my car with OEM equipment but the features added of the Pioneer are too great to pass on.
I found a local store willing to buy/install the Pioneer 8201NEX for $2200. Two question if you dont mind:
Do you regret installing the pioneer?
In real life, does it look like those 3rd party "radio add-ons" you install on your car and looks good but not right. Am i making sense?
And last does xm radio work with carplay? does anyone know?

Do you have any input you can share about your experience with that system?

thanks.
I do not regret getting the Pioneer. If you get the front plate from Suncoast, it looks stock. I never used XM Radio on my previous car so I cannot comment it on this head unit but I suspect it works well. With Pandora, AmazonMusic, etc., why use XM for music unless there are certain talk shows you want to listen but cannot stream? Get a good amp to run the speakers. The stock speakers are good enough when you use a clean amp. Good luck and post some pics after you get it installed.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:35 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by jbendaou
I found a local store willing to buy/install the Pioneer 8201NEX for $2200.
That sounds way cheap unless you have the Base Stereo version of the factory audio. Bose or Burmester require an amplifier replacement since they run on a proprietary fiber-optic network that the aftermarket Pioneer can't replicate. If the installing shop has no idea they might run into that – caveat emptor.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:09 AM
jbendaou
Instructor

I guess I wouldn't care much for XM if I managed to get car play. Wish we can just add CarPlay somehow. I will look for the suncoasts.
Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:58 AM
jbendaou
Instructor

Alright i finally made up my mind and installed it this weekend. It did cost me $2200. I have a Bose and surprisingly i didn't have to get an amplifier replacement. The guy who did the work told me that he would keep something from my old unit to keep the fiber optic working -Truthfully i have no idea what he was talking about but figured they have been in business for 30 years and they mainly do Porsches i would do what he said.
The sound is great and the unit looks good. I did lose the in dash map, which i loved and had to disable displaying audio and phone.
Now i get a good map (i hated my GPS), HD radio, backup camera, apple play ( they even installed usb2 for android play and an HDMI connection for mirroring).

Attached a few pictures for you guys. Cheers

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX Stereo Upgrade