Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

MOST-HUR/997 or scrap Bose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 04:13 AM
grdlaw
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Alpine ilx-007 installed in my 2008 Cayenne...love it!
Old 04-06-2016, 12:49 AM
SAN997
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting thread. I guess I am both simultaneously unsurprised and surprised that just replacing the head unit improves the sound quality so much. This must be because the stock equalizer in the PCM 2.1 is so terrible.

As hard as it is to pay $600 for what basically amounts to a signal cable that travels less than 3 feet between the head unit and the Bose amp, this is probably the easiest and best option.

The Bose amp probably has built-in signal processing that compensates for the acoustics of the car interior. So provided Bose didn't do a crap job, it makes sense that the problem must lie with the PCM head unit's EQ.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:51 AM
SAN997
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's another approach, however. I find the Bose sub to be way too boomy. I'd just as soon take it out to save weight and space.

Without the Bose sub, you could use a standard 4-channel receiver with built-in amp (bypassing the Bose amp altogether), except the 997 has a center speaker!

So the question is, does just abandoning this center channel speaker really impact the sound much? If not, the cheapest option would be to just use a regular 4-channel head unit with built-in amp. I believe one issue is that the Bose speakers are wired in parallel, so the load to the amp is only 2 ohms. Most aftermarket receivers won't drive less than 4 ohms.

I personally find the 997 has so much road noise (especially with stock Pirelli tires), that I can't really hear good audio anyway.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:16 PM
audioman79
Advanced

Originally Posted by ABQ997
Interesting thread. I guess I am both simultaneously unsurprised and surprised that just replacing the head unit improves the sound quality so much. This must be because the stock equalizer in the PCM 2.1 is so terrible.

As hard as it is to pay $600 for what basically amounts to a signal cable that travels less than 3 feet between the head unit and the Bose amp, this is probably the easiest and best option.

The Bose amp probably has built-in signal processing that compensates for the acoustics of the car interior. So provided Bose didn't do a crap job, it makes sense that the problem must lie with the PCM head unit's EQ.
Yeah oem heaunit system suck on most vehicles. They have better features these days on newer cars but still lack the SQ due to cheap speakers and horrible equalization through the amplified system. Bose systems are a joke, waste of money IMO when buying a new car. Not worth the extra money.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:46 PM
audioman79
Advanced

Originally Posted by ABQ997
Here's another approach, however. I find the Bose sub to be way too boomy. I'd just as soon take it out to save weight and space.

Without the Bose sub, you could use a standard 4-channel receiver with built-in amp (bypassing the Bose amp altogether), except the 997 has a center speaker!

So the question is, does just abandoning this center channel speaker really impact the sound much? If not, the cheapest option would be to just use a regular 4-channel head unit with built-in amp. I believe one issue is that the Bose speakers are wired in parallel, so the load to the amp is only 2 ohms. Most aftermarket receivers won't drive less than 4 ohms.

I personally find the 997 has so much road noise (especially with stock Pirelli tires), that I can't really hear good audio anyway.
Center channel speakers in cars are pointless. To get great staging in the car is to have proper speaker location for the best sound stage. With time alignment and proper tuning through EQ you will be amaze the SQ you can gain.

solution to road noise you have is to decrease the noise floor in the vehicle by using sound deadening material.

Quick Reply: MOST-HUR/997 or scrap Bose?