Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

General LP Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts
Default General LP Question

I was in Best Buy and bought the Beatles "Abbey Road" LP. Couldn't pass it up for $10. I was surprised how quiet it was. You can find this LP from Best Buy, Borders Books, Urban Outfitters etc. Are these resellers buying their LPs from the same source? Could I assume this LP would sound identical from all three places?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

That thing has been out for so long there could be stock on shelves from many different pressings. So look carefully. But if you want another copy why not just go back to the same Best Buy?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:47 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best buy sells LP's ..... ?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:49 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
That thing has been out for so long there could be stock on shelves from many different pressings. So look carefully. But if you want another copy why not just go back to the same Best Buy?
You've read my mind. I do want another copy. I will go back to Best Buy and get one. As an aside, Acoustic Sounds has released the Beatles albums on LP. What are the odds their LP will sound better than the massed produced LP I bought?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:01 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Two answers, because you've been talking about two somewhat different things. First answer, will the Acoustic Sounds release sound better, absolutely 100% yes without a doubt no contest. Every one of theirs that I have sounds great, because of the care they take in sourcing the best master tape and using the best mastering, cutting and pressing facilities. That said, the first thing you asked about is surface noise, and the answer there is a little less certain. I have no idea how quiet your Best Buy LP is, and while AS releases tend to be superb the sad fact is surface noise is just one of those things you never can be sure of until you place stylus in groove. Yes it is absolutely mind-blowing listening to dead-quiet vinyl. But most isn't and even the silent ones never stay that way forever. What's really satisfying is when the recording, mastering and pressing are really well done. The result then can make you forget all about any noise. That is where I would expect the Acoustic Sounds release to be.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:49 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,299 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Best buy sells LP's ..... ?
Actually they do. They have more on line than in the stores. Their inventory in the stores doesn't change much because not many people know about it and they usually hide them on the side of an isle. I actually picked up the same copy of Abbey Road at BB I figured for $10 it was worth it a year ago they wanted $20 for it. I was pleasantly surprised how good it sounded.

I passed on the Acoustic sounds release. LP's are getting too costly for what they are. The Beatles LP's I have sound good enough for the number of times I play them although there are many UHQR, MOFI, AS Lp's I would invest in I don't see the need to spend nearly $40 on a single Beatles LP or $400 on the set especially when a pressing for $10 sounds as good as this one does.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:38 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 230 Posts

I bought the first master series by Mo-Fi in the early 80s. When I want to hear the "perfect" version I use those but have rarely played them. I'm sure the latest series is better but those are plenty good enough for me. You have to wonder how many times they can "re-master" classics from the 60s and 70s.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:18 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Actually they do. They have more on line than in the stores. Their inventory in the stores doesn't change much because not many people know about it and they usually hide them on the side of an isle. I actually picked up the same copy of Abbey Road at BB I figured for $10 it was worth it a year ago they wanted $20 for it. I was pleasantly surprised how good it sounded.

I passed on the Acoustic sounds release. LP's are getting too costly for what they are. The Beatles LP's I have sound good enough for the number of times I play them although there are many UHQR, MOFI, AS Lp's I would invest in I don't see the need to spend nearly $40 on a single Beatles LP or $400 on the set especially when a pressing for $10 sounds as good as this one does.
Hmm , Interesting , I must give them a look .....

Quick Reply: General LP Question