Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

AV Processor McIntosh to Marantz?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 11:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts
Default AV Processor McIntosh to Marantz?

I have a McIntosh MX135 A/V Processor/Pre Amp with my McIntosh MC207 amp. This processor does not have the new audio processing like Dolby True HD and DTS HD, doesn't have HDMI inputs or 3D pass thru and so forth.

McIntosh has a new MX121 out that has Audessy room eq, all the latest audio processing for movies among many other things. Problem is it's $6000 and I really don't want to spend this kind of money on a new processor. However my dealer "might" take my old McIntosh processor in on trade for $1000-1500...Ouch!

Marantz has the AV7005 and I can get it for around $1150-$1399.

Do you think this would be a serious downgrade in my system to put the Marantz in place of the McIntosh. How much sound difference does a AV processor make? Is the McIntosh worth $3800 more than the Marantz with sound quality?
Old 08-21-2012, 04:08 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Processors vary like cars buy what you like but some are Porsche's and others Hyundai's. Never liked the Mac myself, built to spec and not to sound, overpriced, over complicated and dark. Marrantz isn't bad for the money either is Integra. However I have seen the 7005 new sell for as little as $750

If you want the best bang for your buck in HT Arcam is the way to go. The 600 I am using in my main system is still the best all around unit with very little that compares at any price.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:44 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Actually I ended up going with a Integra DHC 80.3. Is not the best looking AV Pre/Pro but from what I can tell it is worth more than it costs. I got to demo it and I was impressed.

I actually have a guy wanting to buy my Mac av pre pro...wow! I lov my mac amps though. They do the job very very well.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:10 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

i did not see your post before, integra is fine unit, when I was looking i went with onkyo pro pr-sc885 and stil have it, need probably to upgrade it to get letest HDMI tech but do not care much, for audio DVDs it is pretty good, with Rotel rmb 1077.
neither marantz nor rotel did not have good set of features in their processors last year, this year i did not follow what new they made. may be they got up to speed.

setup i have now replaced my previous class A setup and i am pretty happy with how this new stuff works, quality wise.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Just got the Integra processor hooked up today...but room is apart due to new projector going in. Listened casually and it sounded fine. I haven't tweeked on it yet as it has the new Audessy XT32 in it.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:04 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
it has the new Audessy XT32 in it.
that`s cool. amazing how fast this technology progresses. i looked up its specs, seems like a nice unit.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:12 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

That's one thing I miss in my Marantz AV7005: XT32. While the Audissey correction is very good, I've heard the XT32 is really fantastic. More points of adjustment and greater flexibility. Overall, I'm very happy with my Marantz. The 2ch audio is good but I still use a separate system in the living room for hi-res digital and vinyl.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:51 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Pioneer all the way! ICE Digital Power amplifiers designed and developed by Bang & Olufsen used on Elite models only. I used to be a seperates guy but with todays digital technology, no need for discrete topology anylonger. I do confess that in my upstairs audio room I use VTL tube amplifiers and strictly analog system. Yes records! Check them out
Old 08-26-2012, 01:33 PM
mdrums
Race Director

atcbi5....we are talking AV Pre/Pro's here...these do not have amps in them...just the processor. I have separate amps. In my dedicated HT room which is big I'm pushing a lot of sound level. My bedroom is 15x14' and I'm using a nice Denon receiver for the HT system and it works just fine, actually impressivly good.

Anyway....I have the Integra 80.3 processor all hooked up and running and I ran Audyessy XT32 and it did a really impressive job. It's a bit confusing with tweaks though after the fact as far as tweaking eq and crossover settings.

I'm selling my McItosh MX13 AV Pre/Pro if anyone is interested. It is like new condition and comes with the Harmony remote, owners manual and original box.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:19 PM
atcbi5
Banned

I understand, I had seperates like I mentioned in my post. Got tired dealing with all the wires and cables. My HT system consists of Focal Electra 1028be up front, Focal Electra SW 1000 Be(sub) and Focal in celing center and surrounds. The Pioneer CS-37 at 140 per channel is more than enough and it handles everything perfectly. One benefit with these systems now including yours, is Iphone/Ipad integration. Everything is controlled thru my Apple stuff. I love it! Before all that, I had Bryston gear that used to power my Magnepan ribbon speakers. Sold all that and I am happy with what I have now.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Atcbi5, yeah it's amazing how good some receivers are these days. The Integra processor I just got has AirPlay and will play music from my iPod or stream music. I haven't messed with that yet.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:09 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Couple a real nice MaK pre/pro's out on Audiogon right now.
Very reasonably priced as well.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Pioneer all the way! ICE Digital Power amplifiers designed and developed by Bang & Olufsen used on Elite models only. I used to be a seperates guy but with todays digital technology, no need for discrete topology anylonger. I do confess that in my upstairs audio room I use VTL tube amplifiers and strictly analog system. Yes records! Check them out
I am a bit confused on the other thread you said you were still using 901's now you say you are powering them with VTL's. Just don't see the mix. Nice amps when they don't explode however give me a nice tube pre and Accuphase class A amps any day. And yes I only listen to vinyl.

BTW good choice on the Integra for the money it is a bargain.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:25 AM
atcbi5
Banned

nope VTL powers my Focal Electra's (upstairs system analog). The BOSE 901's were my speakers when in college (Eectrical engineering UF) and they were powered by a Marrantz 2325 (my dads). I have had a large collection of Hi Fi systems thru the years and for me the Focals are the only ones I have kept so far. That other thread over there I got jumped on for saying 901's. I think BOSE systems in general are excellent well enginnered and extremely elegant in design. Porsche uses them on their vehicles. My 997 TT sounds excellent and I am happy with the system. My 901's are packed in my closet awaiting my sons departure for college in a couple of years. He has my first Marantz 2216B gear I bought with my first check while being employed at Pantry Pride. As of this date, I have had to replace ZERO components on that equipment. Hope that clears some of it. VTL's are excellent amps with a sweet sound and they are a perfect match to the Focals. As to them exploding, I have had zero problems but then again how many of us take time to properly bias trim pots and plot the bias measurement points.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:10 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atcbi5
nope VTL powers my Focal Electra's (upstairs system analog). The BOSE 901's were my speakers when in college (Eectrical engineering UF) and they were powered by a Marrantz 2325 (my dads). I have had a large collection of Hi Fi systems thru the years and for me the Focals are the only ones I have kept so far. That other thread over there I got jumped on for saying 901's. I think BOSE systems in general are excellent well enginnered and extremely elegant in design. Porsche uses them on their vehicles. My 997 TT sounds excellent and I am happy with the system. My 901's are packed in my closet awaiting my sons departure for college in a couple of years. He has my first Marantz 2216B gear I bought with my first check while being employed at Pantry Pride. As of this date, I have had to replace ZERO components on that equipment. Hope that clears some of it. VTL's are excellent amps with a sweet sound and they are a perfect match to the Focals. As to them exploding, I have had zero problems but then again how many of us take time to properly bias trim pots and plot the bias measurement points.

I guess based on my experience you can count yourself lucky. I happen to like the VTL's and they are a good company that stands behind their product but I do know many who have let theirs go too far and when you do it is off to the repair shop for several months. One of the downsides to some tube designs.

As you mention and i had highlighted perfect match IMO it is matching the right components that builds the perfect system. Everything is expendable and what works in one room might not necessarily work in another. Although my Shindo Masseto has yet to fail me in any situation which is one of the exceptions to that rule IMO.

Sorry I was under the impression reading your other threads that you were still using your 901's. However our opinions about Bose could not be more different. I personally have always found Bose made half decent sound using their designs with inferior components and charged way too much. I never believed a price tag could tell you anything about what you buy when it comes to Stereo eq. I have heard speakers costing crazy money that were just awful so price has little to do with what I like only whether or not I can afford to buy it once I decided I like it or not.

As far as multiple systems like many of us here I could probably open my own stereo store with all the used eq I have and have sold more than I can remember. The list is so long it scares me to look back and think how much I threw away over the years. It's like adding up the modification bills on my Porsche's. Somethings are better not knowing. LOL

Quick Reply: AV Processor McIntosh to Marantz?