Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Audio and Video Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-and-video-forum-216/)
-   -   I'm over Linn (https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-and-video-forum/683997-im-over-linn.html)

993MAN 03-04-2012 03:33 AM

I'm over Linn

I bought a Unidisk SC and it was amazing. But it has always been a PITA to use. You need to have bionic eyes to see the remote for a start, and tripple magnified bionic eyes to read the display, and a masters degree from NASA to understand the manual.
But with these issues it is (was) still an incredible, detailed CD player.
But I sent it away for a service and they installed a new laser and it was fine. But then they did something in the menu set up and turned off the analogue output so all I could use was a toslink cable. Not for me sorry.
So it went back and they reset everything.
I set it up today and the sound is worse than a 20 year old Pioneer DVD player that's been hit by a train! It's poked!
So I am just about over this over priced CD player now and looking for something fresh. Maybe a Cambridge 840.
But my vent is why do these things have to be so bloody awkward to use?
I have been in the industry since 1987 and it had me confused.
They reckon this is a set up issue with a setting. Maybe it is, but I'm still over it.

Franklin229 03-04-2012 09:05 AM

I feel your frustration. I am done with CD players and anything that isn't vinyl is played back via HD/ DAC combo. It also eliminates the need to keep all those disks around.

993MAN 03-05-2012 01:25 AM

That's the problem though, I still like the CD format. Call me strange but I'm hanging on to the technology.
DAC's are good, some are really good, but too my ears (even with the ringing now and then) CD's still sound better.
Nothing beats vinyl. I doubt anything ever will.

J.PELLEGRINO 03-05-2012 09:10 AM

I am with you Franklin...I have a pretty good cd playback system, but I almost always listen to the big black discs...As for computer/server sources...I have heard them sound very good..I am just not enough of a technophobe to deal with the time/effort to load all of my CDs and the associated meta data...I am hoping it will be closer to plug and play sometime soon....till then, I will get up and flip the record every 15 minutes and smile....

Franklin229 03-05-2012 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by J.PELLEGRINO (Post 9334059)
I am with you Franklin...I have a pretty good cd playback system, but I almost always listen to the big black discs...As for computer/server sources...I have heard them sound very good..I am just not enough of a technophobe to deal with the time/effort to load all of my CDs and the associated meta data...I am hoping it will be closer to plug and play sometime soon....till then, I will get up and flip the record every 15 minutes and smile....

+1 on spinning the big black discs!
BTW-Prob wind up seeing you in a few weeks or so for the usual P-car stuff.

J.PELLEGRINO 03-05-2012 11:02 AM

Great Franklin...see you soon...till then, enjoy the music....

peterC2S 03-05-2012 07:50 PM

Don't suppose I can tempt you with an old school Linn Classik then 993MAN? Or a pair of lovely Ninka's? Trying to free up funds for an upcoming 964 or 993 purchase!

Pete

993MAN 03-06-2012 04:06 AM

Hi Peter,

No thanks! The obvious place is Trade me, but good luck with the tyre kickers.
Linn reckon it's just a setting in my Unidisk, but I will see. Got a new Cambridge today, and as good as it is, the sound is not up to that of the Linn.
Not even close. :surr:

I was pretty pissed off when I posted here, but have cooled down a bit now. Maybe I will give it another try.
Have you got a car in mind?

Cheers
Graham

peterC2S 03-06-2012 06:12 AM

Graham - just as well then! Hadn't had the Linn on for a while as we've put in a dedicated HT room and been spending far too much time in there. Your post had me in and listening to a bit of Herbaliser this evening and sounded mighty fine. So no trademe just yet!! Anyway sorry to hear about your probs - bummer when its a great sounding bit of gear.

I'm just starting out looking for a 964 or 993 - haven't made my mind up on that yet so no specific cars - not that there's an awful lot to see out there. I see you had a 97 C2S previously as well? Can't be too many of them in NZ and I regret selling mine about 7 years ago - rainforest green with cashmere leather. Have no idea where it is now but did see it on TM a couple of years back. Probably just out of todays budget though. Love the 'go kart' feel of a well sorted 964 and the wider hips of a 993 - real dilemma, but a good one. Needs to be a daily driver.

So begins the search!!

Cheers
Pete

Frances728 03-07-2012 02:39 AM

I can't say much more than just WOW